Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What Are Main Differences? Cig, Nor Outer... >

What Are Main Differences? Cig, Nor Outer...

Notices

What Are Main Differences? Cig, Nor Outer...

Old 09-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 38 conventional bottom with 1000's and bravo's and I also have a 37 OL with 6's and decent power in it. I have run both boats as fast as safely possible in 4's and 5's in the gulf and the OL won out in my opion.....it also has #6's so I could be more aggressive. They are both AWESOME boats. They all perform differently in different conditions. If you really want to go fast and put some power 1000hp+, your options are limited in the 38-39 cig as there are not that many #6's out there. The STRUCTURAL build quality in both boats is top notch...but the OL is a friggin wave bustin Battleship with #6's. Cig holds its value the best...but it all depends on what you want to do with the boat and what your budget is and what factors are MOST important to you. The build quality of the AT is not in the same league as a Cig or OL. One of the reasons they run fast is that they are light. I could see the deck flexing in the ones I have been in. Nortech builds a hell of a boat....you can also find them with #6's on them. The 37OL has great headroom and almost a queensize bed compared to the cig. I thought when I bought it....I will be picking up cabin size and #6's to sacrifice the legendary ride.....but that wasn't the case. I don't know what an OL with bravos performs like because I wanted #6's. Just my personal observation from 1st hand experience. They all have thier stong points......none of the boats are the BEST in all categories.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by omerta one
So which '07 39 700 TG was it? and if you're calling me a liar we have an issue here.
1. I never said it was a 39, the boat I went to the Bahamas on was the 38 525/OSO boat
2. Not really considering you a liar, but maybe lied too! Maybe the "captain" was working on the NT and knew he wouldn't be able to put in a worker's comp claim after a ride in the NT and he knew in a TG it would be an easy claim!

No one will ever be convinced a 38/39 10K lb boat will ride better than a 43(closer to 45) that weighs 2-3K more.

Tom you have an awesome boat, one of the best looking and fastest 39's out there. No one is knocking your specific boat or brand but contrary to popular belief the "#1" isn't "#1" at everything.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderusone
Just my personal observation from 1st hand experience. They all have thier stong points......none of the boats are the BEST in all categories.
Tom this is what I was trying to say in my earlier post.....
Old 09-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
1. I never said it was a 39, the boat I went to the Bahamas on was the 38 525/OSO boat
2. Not really considering you a liar, but maybe lied too! Maybe the "captain" was working on the NT and knew he wouldn't be able to put in a worker's comp claim after a ride in the NT and he knew in a TG it would be an easy claim!

No one will ever be convinced a 38/39 10K lb boat will ride better than a 43(closer to 45) that weighs 2-3K more.

Tom you have an awesome boat, one of the best looking and fastest 39's out there. No one is knocking your specific boat or brand but contrary to popular belief the "#1" isn't "#1" at everything.
Well I can tell'ya for a fact that the guy said what he said...unsolicited...and of course was one guys opinion. I haven't been in a 43NT so I can't personally compare. And a 38/525 boat isn't a 39/700 boat, so I don't know that that is a fair comparison either. I also never said the Cig was #1 at everything...they all have their positives and negatives; including price. But I think its safe to say that for all around performance; (handling, speed and ride quality) the Cig 39/700 boat is pretty hard to beat.

Anyone have the Sept 2007 Powerboat Mag? If so please post the perfomance numbers on the Nor-Tech 3900/700 boat test. Likewsie for the March 2006 and Jan 2007 issues for the OL Stiletto. I have the 39 Cig test so lets compare what PB mag found in the numbers. Thx!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation

The Cig 39 is 38'-9" no bustle; 9,900 to 11,295 lb hull weight depending on where you look.

The Nor-Tech 43 is 43'-9" LOA with a bustle and 13,000lbs.

So we are talking about 5 foot in length less the bustle so probably more like 2-3 feet difference. Big difference is the beam 8 vs 9'...the narrower boat should handle the rough stuff better. I don't know what the deadrise is on the NT so I can't compare that.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

anyone can comment on anything.. or take a captains comment's on a boat to be correct or false, who's to say he even knew how to drive that boat correctly. Unless any of us have enough seat time on a given boat or multitude of boats back to back in same water conditions, comments are just chest thumping... my boat is better than yours.. It was mentioned that not every boat is good at everything.. as well as bravo boats are way different than speedmasters, which I prefer. Enjoy your boats guys, they are all good when they dont break..
Old 09-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"build quality of the AT is not in the same league as a Cig or OL"

funny i have not had anything fall off the boat... and the headliner is still attached! (OL) not the case with the cigarette I had.. and the outerlimits interiors are a joke! the same with the cig.. who ever did the stiching was drunk.

And nothing wrong with the 39 Nor tech looks its a awesome boat. that nor-tech 427 is bad!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderusone
The build quality of the AT is not in the same league as a Cig or OL. One of the reasons they run fast is that they are light. I could see the deck flexing in the ones I have been in.
Not meaning to correct you but the 37 AT weighs in over 10K. Our lamination schedule is at the very least over-built.We have zero-hull failures and no complaints of stress cracks on any boat I can recall. The speed is thru the patented hull design.

The flexing you see in the deck is not a strength issue as the knits and cores support the area. We simply chose not to utilize a bulkhead to support the deck at the v-berth. This allows easier access to the v-berth as well as a more 'open' feeling in our cabins.

If fiberglass doesn't flex it breaks. You just need to make sure your lamination schedule meets the demand.
Attached Thumbnails What Are Main Differences? Cig, Nor Outer...-cabinfwd-1.jpg  
Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkleface
If I remember right from a few years ago they ran mid 80's??????
2005 - 39 Quattro 525 staggered ..96mph Power boat mag ..

But its not OL 's best bottom !
Old 09-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AT do have a nice cabin I think the nicest in that size rang. But I went with a 39 Nor-Tech to me was the best boat for me, and what I was looking for. To each is own, I would be happy and lucky to own any of the boats talked about.

Last edited by boating37; 09-26-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.