Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Which 22' would you choose? >

Which 22' would you choose?

Notices

Which 22' would you choose?

Old 04-08-2012, 01:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your Avanti is a good looking boat...Post some pics on the 25 and under pics section..Mines the black Chaparral villain 3 second to last page on the bottom.I like the 22' 80's boats.Suer would like to se more pics of yours.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by chris@uga
I sure could buy a LOT more boat than that Progression for $45k.
Interesting comment. That price is actually quite reasonable considering what you get for hull design, performance and construction. For instance, the bare hull on that boat weighs something like 1,250 pounds due to the construction techniques used. It comes with a 10 year hull warraty. It's also faster than almost any other 22 out there with comparable power.

True, you get more "features" on a Sea Ray, but in the performance boating world, construction that will take a pounding year in and year out costs a lot of money. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Interesting comment. That price is actually quite reasonable considering what you get for hull design, performance and construction. For instance, the bare hull on that boat weighs something like 1,250 pounds due to the construction techniques used. It comes with a 10 year hull warraty. It's also faster than almost any other 22 out there with comparable power.

True, you get more "features" on a Sea Ray, but in the performance boating world, construction that will take a pounding year in and year out costs a lot of money. Good luck!
I agree, A couple nice seats, good gauges, and that's about it. Spend your money on the engine, and hull. You don't need all the fancy leather and sh*t in order to have a nice boat. It may look pretty bare bones (but make it clean), but you will be able to kick a** out on the water where it really counts.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked

Interesting,That Progressive is a goog looking boat.A little cramped in the cockpit.The light weight is a plus..I wonder how it compares to a Stingray?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sankanother1
Interesting,That Progressive is a goog looking boat.A little cramped in the cockpit.The light weight is a plus..I wonder how it compares to a Stingray?
This should be good! Happy Easter!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris@uga
I sure could buy a LOT more boat than that Progression for $45k.
Yeah- but what are you really getting for your money?

Im somewhat familiar with progressions. Is a Sting Ray vacumm bagged?

Layup,(vac bagged) and componentry, and rigging are all nice.

About the only thing you can say about progressions is that their "old school"/ cLassic/ paint scheme is what it is.

Im a West Coast guy, but progression makes a nice machine if you can live with the looks.

UD
Old 04-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by sankanother1
If you're talking construction and rigging, a Stingray doesn't even come close. As somebody else said though, Kevin (Progression) doesn't build the most stylish boats, but he builds them for performance. The construction and rigging are top notch though. Stingray is strictly a regular production boat with no special hand layup, vacuum bagging etc. If you look up the difference in weights, you'll be astounded.

And I should add that any good high performance boat will weigh significantly less, yet be significantly stronger and faster.

Last edited by Too Stroked; 04-08-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Registered

I didn't intend to criticize the construction or quality of the boat.

You can find a completely rerigged and painted boat that looks brand new in the 28-32 foot range with fresh power for that kind of money. You can find a NICE 24 Skater for that money.

I noticed a completely re-rigged, new interior, new stereo, new carpet, new floor, blueprinted bottom, etc 2003 Hydrostream Vegas on a trailer that runs 96mph with a stock 250 E-tech for $14k and the guy would probably take less. That boat has similar cockpit room, much better colors, nicer interior, and will likely walk off from that Progressive with ease.

I also think that color is ugly as heck and makes the boat look 15 years old. Your blue scheme looks very nice, btw.

Last edited by chris@uga; 04-08-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It would be important to define what kind of boat / use you're looking for in a 22' boat then. The Hydrostream Vegas is a 20' boat that will no doubt walk a Progression 22' (or just about anything else) with similar power - on flat water. I know, I've run (and driven) a few of them. In anything up to about a 1' chop, they kick butt. All of my friends who had them here on Lake Ontario turned them into splinters in pretty short order.

If you're looking for a small lake / river boat, the Hydrostream is a fine choice and will indeed be less expensive. But it's a different animal entirely than something built for rough water. What kind of water are you looking to run on and how fast would you like to go? Then we can offer you more correct choices.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Registered

You gotta no what you want.. otherwise you end up frownfaced on the water.
For me i love chasing rough water, i'll build my Avanti to where i like it and move onto a lil bit bigger boat, sometimes smaller is easier. my little sutphen 17 on glass with a BBC stroker and a Berkley was fun. but once the waves got bigger "2-3ft" it was a hand full.
TOO Stroked makes some great points!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.