Notices

cougar boss 42 ?

Old 09-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thak everyone a bunch for the info everyone is so helpfull that i bought a membership i posted a couple of pics of how i found the boat it is a project but i bought it with the outdrives rebuilt and two fresh built 460s on the trailer and a lot of new interior parts but still needs some inside work the outside of the boat cleaned up very well it just sat outside for a few years uncovered but being in michigan it didnt get sunbaked i paid 15000 for everything i dont theink i did to bad but now i have to wonder there are some stress crckes in the transome it is straight and the edges are good but there are cracks by the exaust and gimbles is this normal i will try to get a pic of them but anyway thanks again
Attached Thumbnails cougar boss 42 ?-sa400064.jpg   cougar boss 42 ?-sa400065.jpg   cougar boss 42 ?-sa400070.jpg  

Old 09-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look like you have alot of freeboard, does the head still work ? "HIGH LIFE"
Old 09-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Registered

Default cracks

here is what it has for cracks in transom i dont know if they will show up i think the hull is kevlar but dont know about the transom there are no cracks anywhere but the back these big boats are new to me i went from a 18ft baja islander so this is a big change glass work is not a problem for me but i havent worked with kevlar is it the same concept just diffrent mat i do bodywork for a living so i know i can handle it just want to make sure it is right
Attached Thumbnails cougar boss 42 ?-sa400078.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fieroguy
Thak everyone a bunch for the info everyone is so helpfull that i bought a membership i posted a couple of pics of how i found the boat it is a project but i bought it with the outdrives rebuilt and two fresh built 460s on the trailer and a lot of new interior parts but still needs some inside work the outside of the boat cleaned up very well it just sat outside for a few years uncovered but being in michigan it didnt get sunbaked i paid 15000 for everything i dont theink i did to bad but now i have to wonder there are some stress crckes in the transome it is straight and the edges are good but there are cracks by the exaust and gimbles is this normal i will try to get a pic of them but anyway thanks again
would love to see the pictures as you restore it! Looks like a wave crusher!
Old 09-30-2010, 07:19 PM
Registered

Wink

i have pics but dont know how to post them i dont get the url thing but thanks for the replys i know now it isnt a cougar there was a lot of confusion on the paperwork does anyone know if these have any real value to them just want to find out how nice to make it dont want to make it to big of a hole in the water
they all are I got a 88 saber with new power 572 1100hp and konrad ace package retail just that is worth 68,000 for what you would pay . add the hull which is like new plus 3000 in custom glass work and gas tank. it will be done next month but worth chit to anyone but ME. I did this for the long haul not to make money. so if you want to make money on a boat don't buy it. buy a new musle car and put it on blocks for 25 years then sell it. I got a ex baja dealership owner sitting on a 1989 baja 250 sport now they call them 270s after 90 or 91, since he was a dealer he payed less than retail for the boat back then they were 36,000 a another friend bought the same set up in 89. the ex dealer thinks his is worth 45,000or more now cause it has 50 hours and has been in a garage for18 yrs. I bet every hose is dryed out in it and its worth maybe 18,000 to 20,000.sad to say boats don't go up like cars and houses but then my house doudled in the last 9 yrs then dropped half of that now. anyway drive it and enjoy it. the best days of owning a boat is the day you buy it and then sell it. I just buy them use it love it then make a planter out of it after 20yrs cause my other boat I have owned for 20hrs but used it now it all dusty maybe a out side bar next summer good luck
Old 09-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Registered

not looking to make money just want it to worth close to what i have into it not counting many many hours of labor doing most of the work myself except the wrap and stiching of the vinal
Old 09-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Registered

Wink

here is what it has for cracks in transom i dont know if they will show up i think the hull is kevlar but dont know about the transom there are no cracks anywhere but the back these big boats are new to me i went from a 18ft baja islander so this is a big change glass work is not a problem for me but i havent worked with kevlar is it the same concept just diffrent mat i do bodywork for a living so i know i can handle it just want to make sure it is right
I have seen my old marina work with kevlar and went on like worked the same as fg. but you may to get rid of the omc drives move up to Konrads you can get info from biggus he posts on here. he works for them and can set you up with a dealer near you. sounds like you have 460 fords also there is a guy on here who loves fords in his boat, if you could build a set of either chevys or fords in the 540 cu in you could make reliable power at 650hp konrads and you would have good 75 mph boat that crushes waves also talk to DEAN GELLNER MR. HORSEPOWER on here he had a deal on some 700s motors, headers, and #4 speedmasters in july he might have them. the kevlar I.helped work with was yellow, cf is black. if you need contacts post here and I can get you those #s. but omc drives and stock 460 omc motors might get you to 50, also I got tips on rebuilding those seats been there haha. love the hull almost bought a 38 cougar back in 02.

Last edited by AIR TIME; 09-30-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Whether it's a Cougar or a Boss it's still the same design. Going 60mph through some good chop or swells will put a smile on your face that would be hard to hide. I ran a few of the boats Tony made for the Venezualian navy, I went out Haulover Cut then south to Government cut, coming in Government cut there where 10'+ swells about 50' apart (and you have to keep those turbo deisels spooled up, Right???) I basicly held it wfo(throtteling back in the air) jumping a few sets of swells while stuffing right through the others .. I had a guy with me that had never been on an Offshore boat before (I think he shat himself)...My point is fix that boat up the best you can and run it for all it's worth, it is an excellant design. the superboat world champ (twice)... do what you can and go have fun, I don't think the hull will let you down. (it was made by the same guys who built the Cigs, Apaches, Tempest etc)

Last edited by fastdonzi; 10-01-2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: add