Like Tree0Likes

Narrowing Down My Choices

Reply
Old 10-07-2010, 12:56 PM
  #11
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
sleev-les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
My Boats: '89 Cigarette Bullet, '98 Active Thunder Tantrum (Sold)
Posts: 817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
A 28 Active Thunder is much bigger than a 29 Fountain. The cabin may look big in 29 Fountain Pics, but its not.

Have you actually been in or sea trialed any of the boats????

Putting a Baja in the same class is like comparing a Camaro to Porsche and Ferrari.
Baja's are decent boats, but not in the same league.
I have just started looking into AT. All in all, they have been my favorite, but have not seen as many for sale. I'm hoping to see more on the market by the time I find what I am looking for.

Its been hard to find any local to sea trial. The only boat I've been in on water is a 25 Baja Outlaw and compared to a jet ski, it rode great.... so I dont have anything to compare to yet, which is also why I keep asking the questions and taking my time so I know I buy what I really want. I wish they'd have a boat show in the area that had performance boats. Next weekend is the powerboat show in Annapolis, but its more of sport cruisers I think. I haven't seen any in the Annapolis/Baltimore area that have performance boats.

Last edited by sleev-les; 10-07-2010 at 01:20 PM.
sleev-les is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:02 PM
  #12
Registered
 
Wild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,248
Default

take it from a guy that has owned a 28 AT with twin 350s and been in a 29 fountain with twin 454s up in chicago

AT all the way, that 29 fountain was so small compaired to the AT - the AT was a wave crusher, people use to ask me at the dock if it was a 32 it looked so big
Wild is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:30 PM
  #13
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Paducah KY KY Lake
My Boats: 39 Lip-Ship Cigarette 700 Zuls
Posts: 3,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleev-les View Post
And yet, another funny guy.....

...I mean, really, I don't know what I even said to make you two act like 2 year olds other than features I was looking for in a boat and what people had to say about each make.
ok sorry did not mean it to sound like a 2 year old.. lol

find yourself a active thunder, pantera, powerplay
Just my 2 year old opinion..
customryder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:36 PM
  #14
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
sleev-les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Annapolis, MD
My Boats: '89 Cigarette Bullet, '98 Active Thunder Tantrum (Sold)
Posts: 817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by customryder View Post
ok sorry did not mean it to sound like a 2 year old.. lol

find yourself a active thunder, pantera, powerplay
Just my 2 year old opinion..
Now you are closer to 6 or 7 lol
sleev-les is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:01 PM
  #15
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleev-les View Post
I have just started looking into AT. All in all, they have been my favorite, but have not seen as many for sale. I'm hoping to see more on the market by the time I find what I am looking for.

Its been hard to find any local to sea trial. The only boat I've been in on water is a 25 Baja Outlaw and compared to a jet ski, it rode great.... so I dont have anything to compare to yet, which is also why I keep asking the questions and taking my time so I know I buy what I really want. I wish they'd have a boat show in the area that had performance boats. Next weekend is the powerboat show in Annapolis, but its more of sport cruisers I think. I haven't seen any in the Annapolis/Baltimore area that have performance boats.
I'm gonna post in a world of A/T's. I have a twin 525efi 29 Fountain. The cabin is not huge by any means, but we have spent the night in it a couple of times, mostly my kids play in it.
I can't speak for the A/T's ride in big water, I've never owned one. We do however run a few poker runs every year & all makes & models are present, I have ran along side of some 32"& above A/T's . Bottom line is in big water your gonna feel it more or less & in different ways in all makes & models. The diff. is how big your nuts are & what place you won't to arrive in @ the last stop. I've came in the top ten out of 80 boats when I wanted, & I've been in 79 postiton. As far as Fountain versis A/T ? Twin versis single? 100 people will have diff. opinions. I'm partial to twins but a friend of mine races in super light & his single 525efi closed canopy 30 boat performs as good as my twin (except turning).
The fact is get your feet wet in Offshore Power Boating before you spend ALOT of money. A good boat salesman could sell ice to an Eskimo.
Slug-ger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:05 PM
  #16
Registered
 
Gladhe8er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fairfield, CT
My Boats: 2005 Active Thunder 28
Posts: 3,693
Default

I have a 28 AT and my brother has a 29 Fountain so I think I can offer a fair comparison.

A 29 Fountain has a less than 26 foot running surface and a 22 degree Vee vs. a full 28 ft running surface and a 24 degree Vee. No comparicon in bigger water. The Fountain has a step, so it is fasterin flat/small chop scenarios...I would say by 6-7 MPH. I have seen a best of 73 MPH on GPS with my 525EFI.

Fountain does not have an enclosed head. The cabin is more "plush" than the AT, but SOOO much smaller. They both have sinks.

Cockpit, bolsters, dash, throttle location(obviously) all go to the AT. The AT is a stand up boat. I usually bring my power bolster up 1/2 way which helps wedge my feet into the angled footrest...very comfortable this way. The Fountain is a sit down boat although it still has power bolsters. "Bling" award would go to the Fountain because there is more chrome and shiny powdercoat. The AT is built rugged and comes across that way, but it is still a polished looking piece.

Personally I would definitely go with a single engine in this size range. A 27/29 Fountain with twins will site very low in the water, not to mention it is almost impossible to work on the motors. I'm sure you can do a search and find more info on them sitting low.

Obviously there are a ton of 29 Fountains out there for sale, so you can pick and choose your deal..and you can get good deals on these boats. Not many AT's out there so they are more money, but worth it in many peoples eyes.

As others said, Baja is not in the same class. Decent boat, but not like the others.

Good luck and hope this helps!
Gladhe8er is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:18 PM
  #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mansfield, TX
My Boats: 1990 28 Apache SOLD!, 1990 16 Wahoo DC, 1973 40 Kingscraft
Posts: 5,701
Default

I would take a 28 apache over all the ones listed

2nd 28 saber
3rd 292 formula
TexomaPowerboater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:34 PM
  #18
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladhe8er View Post
I have a 28 AT and my brother has a 29 Fountain so I think I can offer a fair comparison.

A 29 Fountain has a less than 26 foot running surface and a 22 degree Vee vs. a full 28 ft running surface and a 24 degree Vee. No comparicon in bigger water. The Fountain has a step, so it is fasterin flat/small chop scenarios...I would say by 6-7 MPH. I have seen a best of 73 MPH on GPS with my 525EFI.

Fountain does not have an enclosed head. The cabin is more "plush" than the AT, but SOOO much smaller. They both have sinks.

Cockpit, bolsters, dash, throttle location(obviously) all go to the AT. The AT is a stand up boat. I usually bring my power bolster up 1/2 way which helps wedge my feet into the angled footrest...very comfortable this way. The Fountain is a sit down boat although it still has power bolsters. "Bling" award would go to the Fountain because there is more chrome and shiny powdercoat. The AT is built rugged and comes across that way, but it is still a polished looking piece.

Personally I would definitely go with a single engine in this size range. A 27/29 Fountain with twins will site very low in the water, not to mention it is almost impossible to work on the motors. I'm sure you can do a search and find more info on them sitting low.

Obviously there are a ton of 29 Fountains out there for sale, so you can pick and choose your deal..and you can get good deals on these boats. Not many AT's out there so they are more money, but worth it in many peoples eyes.

As others said, Baja is not in the same class. Decent boat, but not like the others.

Good luck and hope this helps!
10/4 ON THE HARD TO WORK ON ENGINES on twin set up. The twin 29 sits eval low in the rear & better not jump on the wet swim plattform, you will be swimmin!I like the stance of rear mounted twin anything, low in rear, high in front, just enough room under the plattform to let the rumble out.
Slug-ger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:53 PM
  #19
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Mine Hill, NJ/Lake Hopatcong, NJ
My Boats: 94 32' Fever, 81 30' Shadow Cat
Posts: 1,267
Default

My 27/29 with twins..... F/S 15K
Ironically the 29's sit about 4 inches higher then the 32's??

I like the idea of a big single in a 28 and under
Attached Thumbnails
Narrowing Down My Choices-tain.jpg  
prostock85 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:59 PM
  #20
Registered
 
Back4More's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Lake Michigan
My Boats: 353 Fastech
Posts: 6,624
Default

A single engine 29 Fountain would rock.
Back4More is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.