Like Tree0Likes

Formula 280 6.2 vs 5.7's

Reply
Old 10-11-2010, 10:47 AM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Manasquan, NJ
My Boats: 2002 Formula 370 SS, 1986 Formula 242 LS(sold), 2010 Grady-White Sportsman 180 ( for sale)
Posts: 211
Default Formula 280 6.2 vs 5.7's

I'm looking to purchase one of these boats, and I know it does not fit in to this forum 100%, but I can't seem to get this info elsewhere. There are two engines available, twin 5.7's or twin 6.2's which is a strocked 5.7. Horsepower is 300 vs 320 which is not much but I am assuming torque must be better. The question is whether it is woth paying the difference or hunting for a used boat with the 6.2's. The only big block is a single engine 496HO, but I only saw one of those for sale so I don't think it was very popular. Any thought's? Thanks
shekmark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 AM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
My Boats: 1987 Donzi 22; 2008 Donzi 28 ZXO
Posts: 1,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekmark View Post
I'm looking to purchase one of these boats, and I know it does not fit in to this forum 100%, but I can't seem to get this info elsewhere. There are two engines available, twin 5.7's or twin 6.2's which is a strocked 5.7. Horsepower is 300 vs 320 which is not much but I am assuming torque must be better. The question is whether it is woth paying the difference or hunting for a used boat with the 6.2's. The only big block is a single engine 496HO, but I only saw one of those for sale so I don't think it was very popular. Any thought's? Thanks
I like the twin small blocks over the single big block.

the HP is not much more on the 6.2's because the compression is lower. So, in theory, the 6.2's make more HP and should be more reliable. I'd take the boat either way though. both are solid engines and run well in the 280.

Please also note there were different 5.7's, there is a 350 Mag (300hp) and a 5.7 mpi (260 HP). Merc phased out the old 260hp version but just beware of that while looking used. The 5.7's run great in that boat too, just a bit slower.
VetteLT193 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:27 AM
  #3
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Manasquan, NJ
My Boats: 2002 Formula 370 SS, 1986 Formula 242 LS(sold), 2010 Grady-White Sportsman 180 ( for sale)
Posts: 211
Default

Thanks for that explanation. The 5.7 is the 350 Mag version. Some I see are Horizon closed cooling . I am in salt water so I have to assume that is the way to go if I can find one with Horizons. I could swear I read that there were problems around 2003 with water ingestion. One of the boats I am looking at is a 2004 with 6.2 Horizons.
shekmark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:28 AM
  #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 728
Default

I have two 6.2's and love them so far, great cruise speed and the top end is not too bad. I would go for the 6.2's and they seem to be easy to work on.
sunsation96 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:45 PM
  #5
JIM H
Charter Member
 
JIM H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Amityville,N.Y.
Posts: 381
Default

I had a 2001 280 with twin 5.7. And i think thats the way to go
JIM H is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:47 PM
  #6
Registered
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Boca Raton, FL
My Boats: None
Posts: 3,682
Default

I survey many Sea Rays with both small blocks and the 5.7 is about as trouble-free as I've seen. True these have been V-drive boats, but for some reason I've run into more 6.2s that have had problems.
Edward R. Cozzi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:27 AM
  #7
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Manasquan, NJ
My Boats: 2002 Formula 370 SS, 1986 Formula 242 LS(sold), 2010 Grady-White Sportsman 180 ( for sale)
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM H View Post
I had a 2001 280 with twin 5.7. And i think thats the way to go
Jim, did you have any experience in the ocean with that 280? Wondering how it handled the chop, or 3-4 foot seas.
shekmark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:59 AM
  #8
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
My Boats: 1987 Donzi 22; 2008 Donzi 28 ZXO
Posts: 1,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi View Post
I survey many Sea Rays with both small blocks and the 5.7 is about as trouble-free as I've seen. True these have been V-drive boats, but for some reason I've run into more 6.2s that have had problems.
More info would be nice. The engines are mostly the same so I'm curious if the problems are universal or specific to 6.2's.
VetteLT193 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:05 AM
  #9
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Manasquan, NJ
My Boats: 2002 Formula 370 SS, 1986 Formula 242 LS(sold), 2010 Grady-White Sportsman 180 ( for sale)
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteLT193 View Post
More info would be nice. The engines are mostly the same so I'm curious if the problems are universal or specific to 6.2's.
Ditto...because those 6.2's are the engines I'm looking for.
shekmark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 AM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
My Boats: 1987 Donzi 22; 2008 Donzi 28 ZXO
Posts: 1,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekmark View Post
Ditto...because those 6.2's are the engines I'm looking for.
I have 6.2's in my Donzi and have had no problems but they are still very low hour engines.

I did a ton of research before buying and compared the 6.2's to the 350 Mag in detail and found they are mostly the same. I wasn't going to turn down a good deal on a boat with 350 mags (almost bought one actually) but I did prefer the 6.2's if it was an option.
VetteLT193 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.