MAYBE..justy maybe, this is finally the time >

MAYBE..justy maybe, this is finally the time

Notices

MAYBE..justy maybe, this is finally the time

Old 10-12-2010, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts
Default MAYBE..justy maybe, this is finally the time

As you all know HORBA has been trying to find the right vehicle to get real open ocean racing started up again. Well, after the Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon that was held in September, we now have some serious interest in getting a worldwide series going with these old style marathons as the model.

TAG Heuer wants to be the series sponsor, Fiat Powertrain USA and Peters and May are exploring associate sponsorhsip possibilities of putting this series together.

TAG wants three races in the USA and two races in Europe. Peter's and May, great people, are looking of ways to assist with a sponsorhship, that would greatly reduce the shipping and handling costs.

WHO IS INTERESTED??

Races to be held in major cites, so this should assist with your own sponsor hunt. Major coverage worldwide, so your own boat sponsor will enjoy great exposure for his product or service.

The Around Long Island race was followed via satellite tracking by a great number of people in Europe. We didn't realize this until it was all over. When the British entry broke down, he rec'd many text messages from peoople that were watching in Sweden, Germany, Italy, France and England. A huge potential audience that TAG recognized immediately.

The ocean evens the playing field immediately and brings back the art and skill of real navigators. If you always said you wanted to race in these type of challenging conditions, now is the time to come forward and be counted.

HORBA extends a personal invitation to those who are interested Please contact me if you are seriously considering this from either a competitor or a sponsors point of view.

Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon Sept 24, 2011

Bill Wishnick Memorial Marathon Fort Lauderdale to Key West Nov, 2011
(The date is whatever the Saturday before the race week starts in Key West)

Last edited by Top Banana; 10-13-2010 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great news
Old 10-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Ok I'm in
Old 10-12-2010, 08:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello Charlie. I could be interested and will see how things develop. If timing and location work, then you can count me in.
As you know, I was disappointed that our plans for the Round Ireland race last year did not work out but will watch with interest what comes out of this.
I cannot match the trip Fiat powered OL for top end speed but as you well know, it is often who can last rather than top end speed that will determine a winner. The little Sonic proved that !
Keep up the good work,
Bob
Old 10-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Registered

Smile

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Hello Charlie. I could be interested and will see how things develop. If timing and location work, then you can count me in.
As you know, I was disappointed that our plans for the Round Ireland race last year did not work out but will watch with interest what comes out of this.
I cannot match the trip Fiat powered OL for top end speed but as you well know, it is often who can last rather than top end speed that will determine a winner. The little Sonic proved that !
Keep up the good work,
Bob
Bob....good to hear from you. I was thinking of you when this was developing. For those who don't know, Bobby Saccenti and I were invited to race in the Around Ireland Race last June. After much back and forth, the sponsors were holding out until the last minute on the organizers and the funds arrived, both late and short, so the payment for our boat and crew to make the trip, did not materialize.

The boat we were going to run was graciously offered to us by none other than the famous Bob the Builder, of ocean treking fame. Bob was coming with us of course as this little trip around Ireland, would be used by him for a warm up he was thinking of doing after...maybe the Med and then on to Bali and home by Hawaii....you all know Bob and his navigational skills.

Bob, this would be right up your alley. The Outerlimits has 4 not 3 FPT diesel engines with #6 drives. As you already pointed out it is not always the fastest, but the one who can navigate and endure these events that come out the winners. Actually, anyone who finishes these events is a winner.

I'll keep you posted as things develop. Maybe I can beg a ride with you on a poker run this winter......just for training purposes of course.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Charlie,
Would there be classes or divisions or all open?
Old 10-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera24
Charlie,
Would there be classes or divisions or all open?
I am waiting to hear from the Europeans, but there will be classes.

Our desire before this all came up, was to have just a few simple classes and something for sure for outboards, maybe up to low 30 footer range 32 - 33.

We want everyone to race, but we don't want to be a trophy for everyone racing group. These are once in a lifetime experiences. Everyone thought this era was over and now here it comes back again.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watching and still dreaming. Thanks for the work