Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can you find your boat on Google Earth ? >

Can you find your boat on Google Earth ?

Notices

Can you find your boat on Google Earth ?

Old 10-13-2010, 02:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by AppSysCons
People ask, why such a long dock

The winter tides, can cause it to be dry 200+feet out into the river. Here is one such day, I walked out on the bottom of the river. The pilings are 10 feet apart.
Frank, did it get wiped out when Hurricane Charley came through or has that been built since? Did Charley push the water in or suck it out ? I know Jay got hit bad and Charley claimed his boat dockside, when he lived in that general area.

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 10-13-2010 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typoo. Charley not Charlie ! :)
Old 10-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Sunkins Apache parked in the driveway.
Hey look, it's right next to his pool!
Old 10-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Frank, did it get wiped out when Hurricane Charlie came through or has that been built since? Did Charlie push the water in or suck it out ? I know Jay got hit bad and Charlie claimed his boat dockside, when he lived in that general area.
Bob,

Hurricane Charley absolutely destroyed my town. It came across North Captiva Island, went up the harbor, and landed across the Peace River, continuing northeast. It was moving so fast, and a bit south of me, my dock, home and the 23ft bow rider (on the lift) survived. The water level, here in the Myakka River, was 2-3 feet above high tide. If it had slowed down, and hung around a bit longer, there would not have been anything left. About 1/2 of the houses (of those still standing) in town lost roofs, two on my street did. Power was out for 14 days, and no drinking water for 17 days. Seven of our 16 schools were either destroyed, or damaged beyond repair. The last one to be rebuild, just opened this year.

I had volunteered and went to work F/T, for a relief organization (CAMA Services) for three weeks. The National Guard let me into areas that most could not get to.

I will have to post some pictures, some day, Here are two

Looking for missing folks, we came to this address, just a pile of debris, where someone had previously lived.

Also, a concrete high power pole, snapped in half.
Attached Thumbnails Can you find your boat on Google Earth ?-mvc-383f.jpg   Can you find your boat on Google Earth ?-mvc-360f.jpg  
Old 10-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

People ask, why such a long dock

The winter tides, can cause it to be dry 200+feet out into the river. Here is one such day, I walked out on the bottom of the river. The pilings are 10 feet apart.
Frank, why are the tides so low in the winter?
Old 10-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Panther
Frank, why are the tides so low in the winter?
The moon is the primary force in determining tides. As it moves around the Earth, it's gravity pushes/pulls the water into tides.

Since the Earth is closer to the Sun in the winter, it contributes more gravity push/pull on the water that in summer, and based on Sun/Earth/Moon alignment and various positions of each, certian places, get larger tide swings, in the winter months.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DollaBill
lets look for MiniHawks the day it was stolen
LOL! When does google earth take these photos? I brought my mini last July. You won't see it in the boatyard or my driveway.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Bob,

Hurricane Charley absolutely destroyed my town. It came across North Captiva Island, went up the harbor, and landed across the Peace River, continuing northeast. It was moving so fast, and a bit south of me, my dock, home and the 23ft bow rider (on the lift) survived. The water level, here in the Myakka River, was 2-3 feet above high tide. If it had slowed down, and hung around a bit longer, there would not have been anything left. About 1/2 of the houses (of those still standing) in town lost roofs, two on my street did. Power was out for 14 days, and no drinking water for 17 days. Seven of our 16 schools were either destroyed, or damaged beyond repair. The last one to be rebuild, just opened this year.

I had volunteered and went to work F/T, for a relief organization (CAMA Services) for three weeks. The National Guard let me into areas that most could not get to.

I will have to post some pictures, some day, Here are two

Looking for missing folks, we came to this address, just a pile of debris, where someone had previously lived.

Also, a concrete high power pole, snapped in half.
Amazing pics, Frank. The power of some of these hurricanes is unbelievable and has cause a lot of grief. Nice you were able to help even tho you had a situation of your own to deal with.
Bob
Old 10-13-2010, 04:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts
Angry

Bob,

f.
I was in Punta Gorda. Charley came up the harbor and landed squarely on my head. Destroyed every house on my street.

The most intense hour of my life. Charley is the 5th most expensive hurricane in history.

1- My lift. 2- Neighbor- 2 doors down. 3- Dry stack down the street. 4- Neighbor- next street over. 5- 1 mile away.
Attached Thumbnails Can you find your boat on Google Earth ?-soupwrecksm.jpg   Can you find your boat on Google Earth ?-sofaking.jpg   Can you find your boat on Google Earth ?-gatorcreek1.jpg  

Can you find your boat on Google Earth ?-volvosafe.jpg   Can you find your boat on Google Earth ?-newangle.jpg  

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG

Last edited by jayboat; 10-13-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

When ever Jodie and I visit Sanibel we still see the effects... Last time I was in Ft. Myers, there still weren't any tall trees standing on the island.