How do you know what exhaust to order? >

How do you know what exhaust to order?

Notices

How do you know what exhaust to order?

Old 10-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
If the 496 exhaust is interchangeable with the standard 454/502 exhaust why is it that every aftermarket exhaust company makes a specific 496 exhaust system?

Something has to be different.
I would think the 496 specific exhaust was tuned(tube lenght,etc) for the 496.

I took my 496 exhaust off my sunny and installed it on my procharged 454 in my pachanga. Made a noticable difference!

I have my stock freshwater manifolds and risers of my 87 pachanga if you are interested. But man them MFr's are heavy!
Old 10-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
My 1985 manifolds came right off.... Everywhere but the damn rubber exhaust hose used for the tails. That was a SOB! Any advice on how to separate that joint without cutting/melting the rubber?
After 25 years trust me you got your money's worth !! Cut them off and put new one's on.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
After 25 years trust me you got your money's worth !! Cut them off and put new one's on.
Ha... you got me there! I'm actually trying to figure what all I need to put 496 HO manifolds on my TRS setup. I know I'm going to need a 4" to 3" reducer, so the hoses are going to need to be cut anyhow (and yes, replaced!). I tried taking them off the first year I owned the boat to be "extra careful" when I was winterizing it. I wanted to take apart as much as I could and keep parts at home in a warm basement, but I couldn't get these things to budge for anything! You're right though, they're probably going to see Mr. Cut-off wheel...
Old 10-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well I went ahead and ordered new 454 exhaust for one motor. Like $600 for the motor but at least I got something warrantied and new. They found water in 2 cylinders but the Dip stick level was still below full and no blown head gaskets from what we can see. When new exhaust comes in we will change oil. Fire it up and run it for awhile then flush the oil again just to be safe. Hoping for no rust damage to internals and no pitted cylinders which we will compression test for. The motor was not locked up just blowing some white smoke and busted a starter. Anyone got any words of wisdom or advice?
Old 10-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Banned

Keep an eye on the oil pressure when you start it . Had a freind do the same thing and bent a rod . If the compression is low in one hole I would look deeper. Just my .02
Old 10-15-2010, 07:47 AM
jjj
Registered

I had an exhaust water leak on my 454 a number of years ago that was discovered when I had new manifolds put on in the spring and found rust in 2 cyls. They installed anyway & hoped for the best. When we went to start it, engine would not turn so we put a booster on it. When we hit the key, it would move a little then eventually it turned all the way over & started with a rapping noise. The noise went away after a few minutes and the engine ran fine for about 4 more years and finally let go with over 1300 hrs.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjj
I had an exhaust water leak on my 454 a number of years ago that was discovered when I had new manifolds put on in the spring and found rust in 2 cyls. They installed anyway & hoped for the best. When we went to start it, engine would not turn so we put a booster on it. When we hit the key, it would move a little then eventually it turned all the way over & started with a rapping noise. The noise went away after a few minutes and the engine ran fine for about 4 more years and finally let go with over 1300 hrs.
I am hoping for this. In 4 years I will have the hull paid for then I could finance some new motors lol. We actually got it running the other day and motor sounded fine. I will know more on Monday or Tuesday when we fire her up. We did fog it down real good and blew all the water out.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Registered

Call Jim Browning at Corsa ....He is very helpful !!!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
My 1985 manifolds came right off.... Everywhere but the damn rubber exhaust hose used for the tails. That was a SOB! Any advice on how to separate that joint without cutting/melting the rubber?
I've used dawn dish soap with a about a quart of water. Use a screw driver with a rag soaked on the soap. Start at 12:00 and work all the way around driving the screwdriver as deep as you can, let the soapy water get as deep as you can. Then just keep working it back and forth. I do the same when I'm putting them back on, alot easier though! Just coat the inside of the rubber and the outside of the exhaust, should slide right in.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
If the 496 exhaust is interchangeable with the standard 454/502 exhaust why is it that every aftermarket exhaust company makes a specific 496 exhaust system?

Something has to be different.
496 manifolds will bolt onto a 454/502 but you have to get new fasteners.....496 use metric. Also the brackets for the throttle / shift cables and computer are different. If you don't mind dealing with that then it's a cheap way to get a dry riser joint and stainless risers assuming you can find them. Raylar has some iron take off manifolds when I was looking but no aluminum. I ended up getting some Stainless Marine manifolds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.