Cummins and Merc joint venture >

Cummins and Merc joint venture

Notices

Cummins and Merc joint venture

Old 05-12-2002, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ruben,
yeah, tell him not to run 'em like gassers!
What kinda boat was it?
Old 05-12-2002, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Diesels in offshore boats....what about Magnum?? They raced one in the Miami to Nassau and back race years ago. 70+ feet, twin large diesels. They had like 9-10 people on board and the ocean was rough. Don't think they ever pulled back the throttles. Even when someone dropped a drink!!!!

Saw a Cary in Ft. Liquiordale with four turbo Lehman Ford inline 6 cyl. diesels. Four Merc outdrives. I think they were 450-500 hp each.

True not real popular, but they do preform.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't most of the UIM boats run Sea-Tek diesels with multi speed Weisman gear boxes with surface drives ???? I believe they run in the 140 + range, so it can be done. Just looks stranges as heck to see a boat throttle up and have black smoke poor out the back.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:01 AM
Registered

boathead go down the street to the Ferris when I was in Heavy Equipment, we had a V-16 on the dyno in the shop. Torque could not be measured because it keep breaking the dyno's. Put that in the boat and see what it does, the heck with the cummins. should still be there
Old 05-12-2002, 01:52 PM
Registered

Default Yan-grenade revisited...

Boathead-
40+ft wide beam center console built in Jersey...
30+ Knots WOT on the GPS.

4 Stroke diesels that make in excess of 1HP/C.I.
have EXTREMELY SHORT LIFESPANS.

Short story...
35 years ago, rode my Schwinn Sting Ray
down to the boatyard.

Climbed a ladder, asked the mechanic
how many HP those 6-71 Detroits made...

He replied...

"185HP, they're REAL HOT RODS"

In their last incarnation,
the 6-71 could be had in EXCESS
of 600HP, off the shelf.

Fuel costs and EPA goons cost us some good motors.
(be vewy VEWY quiet, we're hunting BUREAUCRATS...)
Old 05-12-2002, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Diesel Fuel: I found this and thought I would add it to our discussion !
Diesel fuel is heavier and oilier. Diesel fuel evaporates much more slowly than gasoline -- its boiling point is actually higher than the boiling point of water. You will often hear diesel fuel referred to as "diesel oil" because it is so oily.
Diesel fuel evaporates more slowly because it is heavier. It contains more carbon atoms in longer chains than gasoline does Gasoline is typically C9H20, while Diesel fuel is typically C14H30. It takes less refining (why then the high price) to create diesel fuel, which is why it is generally cheaper than gasoline.

Diesel fuel has a higher energy density than gasoline. On average, 1 gallon (3.8 L) of diesel fuel contains approximately 155x106 joules (147,000 BTU), while 1 gallon of gasoline contains 132x106 joules (125,000 BTU). This, combined with the improved efficiency of diesel engines, explains why diesel engines get better mileage than equivalent gasoline engines.

Now just looking at the BTU Numbers MR Diesel wins by Almost 15% In the energy department where it really counts! But it becomes very understandable when one looks at the huge amount of carbon and Hydrogen in the fuel compared to that of Gasoline.

Best Regards

Old 05-12-2002, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I also found this by the Fuelsep people , Without getting into too much of the chemistry of fuel, diesel fuel is made up of chains of hydrocarbons—a compound containing hydrogen and carbon—that can best be described as being short, medium, and long lengths. As medium chains produce the most efficient burn, the Fuelsep process shortens the longer chains to a medium length and combines the leftover sections so that they, too, are of a medium length. The result is more medium chains and a better grade of fuel.

The long chains are the Black Sooty ones that like your white transom.
Old 05-12-2002, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

There are anti-bacterial aids for diesel as well as low smoke additives that can help reduce the soot.

The Yanmar's have proven themselves recently to be very reliable and powerful. They carry a 5-year warranty on all parts that come in contact with oil. Others do not offer that kind of warranty.

One has to look to further than at Fountain, who offers the Yanmar 440 hp engine combined with the Arneson ASD8 Drive units in their 42’ Lighting. The Yanmar/Arneson powered boat is 5 mph faster than the Mercury 500 efi Bravo version and gets twice the fuel mileage. It outperforms the gas version in all areas, especially noise! (There is an article comparing the two versions up coming in the Motorboat and Yacht Mag.)

Hustler has the same power in its 388 Slingshot, it runs like 85 mph, heard it is a great boat also.

For the weight, as well as the power, reliability and long life, it is hard to beat the lightweight diesels.

Why do you think Mercury has made an alliance with Cummings?

There is a future for the Diesel engines in performance boating.
Old 05-12-2002, 04:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

you know time seems to be the greatest master of all

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/diesel_engines.htm

Best Regards
Old 05-12-2002, 05:38 PM
Registered

steve,
I see you've found my yachtsurvey idol, mr. pascoe , he kinda puts things in perpective in regard to diesels, especially the use of aluminum which is great for making pop cans but sucks for any kind of engine, especially diesels, hence my dislike of the Yanmars. The Bertrams and Hats require a lot more HPand torque than our sissy boats, you won't see them running that aluminum crap... like Ruben says they're trying to run too much HP through some of these oilslingers as it is so aluminum just won't work, but i believe that the real diesels in the proper application are FAR superior to gasoline. I would welcome the opportunity to put a couple goonish diesels in my PQ .... just means I 'd have to use it a lot to keep 'em in shape .
And if you get in a pinch you can burn your can of Crisco to get home!!!!!
A Diesel Boy in a Gasoline World

Quick Reply: Cummins and Merc joint venture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.