Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Miami to New York Record? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/241379-miami-new-york-record.html)

Ona-Mission 10-25-2010 09:13 AM

Miami to New York Record?

Anyone have any details on the miami to New York record? How currently hold the record? When what is set? Distance? Time? What kind of boat?

Thanks in advance.

Pat

mikebrls 10-25-2010 09:21 AM

i know pantera did it back in the hay day's :)
not sure who own's that record now

mike

T2x 10-25-2010 09:31 AM

George Morales set it at about 17 hours back in 1984 During the Miami- NY race. I think The Gentry Trans Atlantic boat and maybe Fabio Buzzi also took shots at it.

Smarty 10-25-2010 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3237966)
George Morales set it at about 17 hours back in 1984 During the Miami- NY race. I think The Gentry Trans Atlantic boat and maybe Fabio Buzzi also took shots at it.

I forgot about George Morales, didn't Dr. Bob Magoon hold the record in a Cigarette before George Morales? When was that? I was a kid when he did that.

And didn't Pepe Nunez, Pantera Boats, set the record for an outboard boat (Miami to NYC)? Does that record still stand?

Back4More 10-25-2010 09:41 AM

wow, thats about a 58mph average.

T2x 10-25-2010 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Back4More (Post 3237969)
wow, thats about a 58mph average.

I am not sure of the exact time. As I recall it was between 17 and 18 hours and the Popeye's 45' Vee Cougar did it in about 20 hours during the same race. Morales did it in a 48' foot 4 engine aluminum Cougar Cat. His normal Mercruiser Race engines were detuned for the run...... and a Radar arch was installed on the boat along with appropriate electronics. He refueled at sea and the seas were relatively calm on both sides of Cape Hatteras (north and South) an unusual circumstance........

T2x

Steve 1 10-25-2010 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3238077)
I am not sure of the exact time. As I recall it was between 17 and 18 hours and the Popeye's 45' Vee Cougar did it in about 20 hours during the same race. Morales did it in a 48' foot 4 engine aluminum Cougar Cat. His normal Mercruiser Race engines were detuned for the run...... and a Radar arch was installed on the boat along with appropriate electronics. He refueled at sea and the seas were relatively calm on both sides of Cape Hatteras (north and South) an unusual circumstance........

T2x

A friend of mine rode on that run with Morales and said one of the 4 engines used 1 Qt of Oil the whole run. Big Al finished 58 Minutes behind in Morales old boat:eek::eek:,Must be something to those Santera ribbons George wore. I walked out of my shop that morning and it was like the world stopped ,no wind nothing unreal day for Miami.

paul buckner 10-25-2010 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 3237968)
I forgot about George Morales, didn't Dr. Bob Magoon hold the record in a Cigarette before George Morales? When was that? I was a kid when he did that.

And didn't Pepe Nunez, Pantera Boats, set the record for an outboard boat (Miami to NYC)? Does that record still stand?

yes pepe and linda set the record with outboard powerd 24 foot pantera in 1978 they were the first 2.4 mec ever made and they had the #2&3 out the box regards paul from England

Craney 10-25-2010 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 3237968)

As I remember Pepe got a little worried your dad might got close to his record.

chewiekw 10-25-2010 04:55 PM

Last i heard Gentry had the record at 19 hours & 17 minutes, he beat Morales's record by less than an hour...