Like Tree3Likes

Miami to New York Record?

Reply
Old 10-25-2010, 10:13 AM
  #1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Ona-Mission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
My Boats: boatless
Posts: 739
Default Miami to New York Record?

Anyone have any details on the miami to New York record? How currently hold the record? When what is set? Distance? Time? What kind of boat?

Thanks in advance.

Pat
Ona-Mission is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:21 AM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: west palm beach FL,
My Boats: yamaha sx190,yamaha exciter, yamaha ls2000 w c 255dc , 38sonic,38fountain ec,35outlaw,28pantera,27donzi zx ect
Posts: 3,095
Default

i know pantera did it back in the hay day's
not sure who own's that record now


mike
mikebrls is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:31 AM
  #3
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

George Morales set it at about 17 hours back in 1984 During the Miami- NY race. I think The Gentry Trans Atlantic boat and maybe Fabio Buzzi also took shots at it.
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:40 AM
  #4
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Smarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pitman, NJ
My Boats: Boatless
Posts: 2,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
George Morales set it at about 17 hours back in 1984 During the Miami- NY race. I think The Gentry Trans Atlantic boat and maybe Fabio Buzzi also took shots at it.
I forgot about George Morales, didn't Dr. Bob Magoon hold the record in a Cigarette before George Morales? When was that? I was a kid when he did that.

And didn't Pepe Nunez, Pantera Boats, set the record for an outboard boat (Miami to NYC)? Does that record still stand?

Last edited by Smarty; 10-25-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Smarty is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:41 AM
  #5
Registered
 
Back4More's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Lake Michigan
My Boats: 353 Fastech
Posts: 6,624
Default

wow, thats about a 58mph average.
Back4More is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:40 PM
  #6
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member
 
T2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Granite Quarry, NC
My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC
Posts: 5,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back4More View Post
wow, thats about a 58mph average.
I am not sure of the exact time. As I recall it was between 17 and 18 hours and the Popeye's 45' Vee Cougar did it in about 20 hours during the same race. Morales did it in a 48' foot 4 engine aluminum Cougar Cat. His normal Mercruiser Race engines were detuned for the run...... and a Radar arch was installed on the boat along with appropriate electronics. He refueled at sea and the seas were relatively calm on both sides of Cape Hatteras (north and South) an unusual circumstance........


T2x
T2x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:50 PM
  #7
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Steve 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Beautiful Fort Lauderdale www.cheetahcat.com
My Boats: Slippery when wet!
Posts: 10,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2x View Post
I am not sure of the exact time. As I recall it was between 17 and 18 hours and the Popeye's 45' Vee Cougar did it in about 20 hours during the same race. Morales did it in a 48' foot 4 engine aluminum Cougar Cat. His normal Mercruiser Race engines were detuned for the run...... and a Radar arch was installed on the boat along with appropriate electronics. He refueled at sea and the seas were relatively calm on both sides of Cape Hatteras (north and South) an unusual circumstance........


T2x
A friend of mine rode on that run with Morales and said one of the 4 engines used 1 Qt of Oil the whole run. Big Al finished 58 Minutes behind in Morales old boat,Must be something to those Santera ribbons George wore. I walked out of my shop that morning and it was like the world stopped ,no wind nothing unreal day for Miami.
Steve 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:44 PM
  #8
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 652
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
I forgot about George Morales, didn't Dr. Bob Magoon hold the record in a Cigarette before George Morales? When was that? I was a kid when he did that.

And didn't Pepe Nunez, Pantera Boats, set the record for an outboard boat (Miami to NYC)? Does that record still stand?
yes pepe and linda set the record with outboard powerd 24 foot pantera in 1978 they were the first 2.4 mec ever made and they had the #2&3 out the box regards paul from England
paul buckner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:58 PM
  #9
Registered
Trade Score: (2)
 
Craney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clayton NJ
My Boats: 28 Pantera 24 Python
Posts: 1,575
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty View Post
I forgot about George Morales, didn't Dr. Bob Magoon hold the record in a Cigarette before George Morales? When was that? I was a kid when he did that.

And didn't Pepe Nunez, Pantera Boats, set the record for an outboard boat (Miami to NYC)? Does that record still stand?
As I remember Pepe got a little worried your dad might got close to his record.
Craney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:55 PM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 396
Default

Last i heard Gentry had the record at 19 hours & 17 minutes, he beat Morales's record by less than an hour...
chewiekw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.