Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How often do you re-pack/replace your trailer bearings?? >

How often do you re-pack/replace your trailer bearings??

Notices

How often do you re-pack/replace your trailer bearings??

Old 05-11-2002, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know what else is a great idea. Have a full hub assembly with seals installed and a small tube of grease. It can be attached to the spare or just stowed somewhere in a zip-lock bag. I even carry an extra brake plate for the real emergency. I have had to use both before and I laughed the whole time i was installing it on the shoulder because I could!!!!
Old 05-11-2002, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I carry an entire extra axle.... Triple axle trailer.
Old 05-11-2002, 06:17 PM
Banned

Usually right after I look in the mirror and see the wheell wobbling back and forth.

Actually, Donzi Mitch has my idea. I have a complete hub assembly ready to go, that way even if the lugs nuts are frozen on and rounded off, you can remove the entire hub, and replace it, if you carry a spare tire too.

Also, one of the things I do is replace all lug nuts with the full coverage type from mag wheels, that way the water can't get to the stud, and if you do round it off, (does it sound like I have experience with rounded off lugs?) there is more metal to get the pipe wrench on.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:34 AM
Registered

gotta love those sure lube axles, I haven't repacked bearing in years, Like everyone says, mike, BE CAREFUL with those damn bearing buddies, I've blown many a seal with those things.
Old 05-12-2002, 09:45 AM
Horseplay38Cig

Bearings are packed every year. It may not be needed, but it makes me feel better. I just want to be sure that it's not my trailer you see on the side of the road.

Old 05-12-2002, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

I have had bearing buddies on many trailers and have never had a problem, but then again I read the instructions and only pump grease in until the spring loaded disc where the grease nipple is located moves outward and seats, NOT until something goes POP!. Before I grease I carefully clean the inside of the bearing buddy of dirt and old grease on the surface where the disk slides back and forth to allow the thing to do its job properly. I see guys trailers where you cant even SEE the grease nipple for old grease and crud!!! GROSS!! I grease after every weekend, have been using the blue "nasty" grease for a few years now, its great. I also make a habit of "hand testing" the hubs for undue heat at stops, something I do at work all the time, there WILL be excess heat before ANY bearing failure........Doug
Old 05-12-2002, 08:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I do mine annually whether they need it or not because it sux doing it on the side of the rode with improper tools and after the parts store closes, plus auto parts stores don't stock the right stuff for my trailer, I had this happen a couple of weeks ago,. The best grease is mercruiser 2-4-C