Bye Bye MSD-Built my own distributorless ignition

Notices

Bye Bye MSD-Built my own distributorless ignition

Old 11-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
I guess I did not know do the distributor less ignition was such a big deal or i would have put these pics on here sooner..(boomer)..

here is an engine we did 3 years ago
this made alot of people scratch there heads.... distributor less ignition on a carburated engine.. we laser cut the 58x wheel also but took the time to put a little design into it also to make it look better and take out some weight..
we did it to be able to have all the adjustments to ignition that a fuel injected engine could have it just happens to be on a carburated engine....
Is that WL's set-up?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
It's not. I didn't claim to have built the friggen space shuttle. Again, just showing what I did to remedy a problem.
Hey I never thought about that... Their retiring the space shuttle this year... We should design and build a new space shuttle because there is probably a bigger market for that than for these high performance boat motors these days.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Hey I never thought about that... Their retiring the space shuttle this year... We should design and build a new space shuttle because there is probably a bigger market for that than for these high performance boat motors these days.
Don't be nasty...
Eddie...as well as others...seem to be plenty busy in the custom motor building arena.

When someone tries to improve their product...using new technology or old...it is a good thing.

The whole boating engine stuff is light years behind current engine technology anyway. When was the big block chevy engined first used?? pushrods?? what the heck...I didn't think they made engines with those any more!

It just happens to be fun.

Chris
Old 11-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I can promise you that if I could build a space shuttle I wouldn't be here talking boats.

Well.....maybe I would.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:42 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Thumbs up

I can promise you that if I could build a space shuttle I wouldn't be here talking boats.

Well.....maybe I would.
lmao!

Eddie, your work looks great as always!
Old 11-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
Don't be nasty...
Eddie...as well as others...seem to be plenty busy in the custom motor building arena.

It just happens to be fun.

Chris
That was just a joke...
Old 11-16-2010, 12:04 AM
Chris
Gold Member

That was just a joke...
Ok

Chris
Old 11-17-2010, 01:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course Eddie knows this has been done before.

IMO he was implying that people have problems with MSD(or actually any distributor) and he is aware of that and has come up with a solution for some of the MEFI EFI guys(been done before, seems nobody is talking about it)

The problem with a distributor in a marine environment is when the moisture involves itself with the spark induced ozone inside the distributor. I'm sure plenty of you have seen brass terminals turn green as well as all the other ugliness inside.

The cam sensor "distributor" produces no ozone since the spark isn't happening inside the cap. Obviously wasted spark app doesn't even need the cam sensor but if you need the extra time to load the coil, sequential spark is better.

The added feature when using a mefi computer and two knock sensors is the ability to sequentially control spark and individual knock.

Again, it's not necessarily a new concept, just fairly new for Merc folk with Mefi4 'puters. Good Job Eddie.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Well.....maybe I would.
spaceshuttlesonly.com ?

i dont know anything about these systems and am just curious as to why we even have distributors at all. These seem much more reliable and stable. is there any disadvantage at all to a crank fired distributorless system.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
spaceshuttlesonly.com ?

i dont know anything about these systems and am just curious as to why we even have distributors at all. These seem much more reliable and stable. is there any disadvantage at all to a crank fired distributorless system.
Price. That is about the only drawback to it. And it isn't really that much in the whole grand scheme of things. A complete MSD ignition system with dist, box, coil, plug wires, etc will run about $800. The DIS system runs about $1700. I'm working on getting the price down to about $1200-$1400. You could easily eat that price difference up with one MSD box and distributor failure. I think it is worth the extra money. I have never seen timing that stable in my life. When I put the timing light on it, it does not so much as flicker. That will just give you more accurate timing, which I can't say for an MSD, or any other, distributor.
Eddie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.