Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Color me POOR !!  ( NYC Poker-Run ) >

Color me POOR !! ( NYC Poker-Run )

Notices

Color me POOR !! ( NYC Poker-Run )

Old 05-15-2002, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I used to go I sold the boat about 2 years ago (Donzi z-22) so Now I can really enjoy boating I use other peoples boats..... Just kidding I miss my boat. The run is from the Pavalion to Caulidos and then one other spot in LI and back. Don't worry I will post when it will be. The harbor park one is for Jet skis.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

The best poker run i ever did was the two out of oceanoutboards place on the southshore of L.I.,nice party,good spots to go to,three prizes,and the whole day only cost me 200. granted,not even the scope of the NYC run,but it was ten years ago,no helicopter,ok,but simple locale fun,yes. Billy does one helluva job putting this and other ones together,and all the people who help him,and his wife,i personally thank you all. im quite sure the marina isnt free,or the insurance,or video guys,the cranes to put the killers in the water(boats that is) and if he makes a couple of bucks along the way,he deserves it for planning it for months before,all the mailings,putting1500 cards in little envelopes (try it some time) all the paperwork,bringing all the stuff he brings,boards to show the stats of all the boats,was the tent free? how much does ICE cost to keep our beer and soda coooold,warm beer sucks,how much to feed 300 plus twice? i could go on and on but i wont,but the overall picture is it is a good time,the best showing of outrageous boats ive seen in this area. granted threr could be some more prize money or more prizes. one more thing,manhasset 55 paid boats? break even or lose money,or make alot? 1000 for a good time,illbethere,TRIPPS
Old 05-15-2002, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes , I agree that $500, $1000 is too much for a poker run. BUT that is only in my " level" for lack of a better term.

Yes boating is an expensive sport but there many levels to it.

$1000 is nothing to a person with a million dollar boat, so there needs to be poker runs for people like that.

$150-$200 if acceptable for a poker run in my "level"

Just my opinion
Old 05-16-2002, 12:31 AM
Registered

Default NYC what is the date?

I have been reading the thread for the NYC poker run, but I have yet to see the date. I am from North Jersey and I have never run on the Hudson because I always had a small boat (18 Ft. Hydrostream Valero YT). I now own a 21' Superboat. Would I be welcome with the Poker Run watchers at the bridge, or is my boat too small?
Attached Thumbnails Color me POOR !!  ( NYC Poker-Run )-oct20%2440.jpg  
Old 05-16-2002, 12:35 AM
Registered

Default PS - Where is a good place to launch

On the Jersey side? I would be coming from RT 46 / RT 3 near Montclair New Jersey?
Old 05-16-2002, 01:19 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

I ran the run last year mostly to get the publicity to sell off my boat molds and hopefully get some great pictures of my boat airborne. Unfortunately the video footage never made it on the air, and I don't remember seeing Powerboat Mag have any write ups on it, although HotBoat did. Did i get any still photos of that day? Well no... They did manage to get me in the video though, so that was great! I know the entry is steep, but for those that really want to get in it, have you considered trying to get a sponsor for it? Think of the amount of people that are there and the exposure you can get. I must say, I was a bit disappointed with the person that was covering the event from "Poker Runs America". He could of had a good story there about the "Smallest Entry" the 13ft Mini Offshore with 100hp strapped to the back of it that started and finished all 75 miles of that run. But he showed his true colors, that if you didn't spend a couple hundred thousand dollars on your boat, you weren't worth talking to. I bought a 28 footer this season, but for NY, I'm still considering to run the 13 footer. The people at the card stops just loved that boat and this year there are people getting the word out of where they are going to be with their cameras. Some of the BEST QUALITY Poker Runs I ran last year were with NJPPC.
Attached Images  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 05-16-2002, 07:43 AM
Registered

Originally posted by sharkeymarine
Some of the BEST QUALITY Poker Runs I ran last year were with NJPPC.
Thanks for the plug Shark!
Old 05-16-2002, 07:59 AM
Registered

Default Hey Sharky

I used to have a 13' Bullet back in 1989. I bought it at Tuckerton Marine and rigged it with a 50 Evinrude. The transom cracked and I was young then, didn't have the money to build it up higher and do trick rigging. That was a fun boat. Would love to get together with you this summer. I have a house in Mystic Islands, and I do most of my boating on Great Bay and the Mullica River. Would love to check out your neck of the woods, I have never gone boating more towards the center of NJ because I always had poor rough water boats.

When the season gets closer I'll drop you a line and maybe we can get out schedules to match.

Mike
Old 05-16-2002, 08:24 AM
Registered

Default Like I said, I will quit *****ing now....

for those who pay a few hundred thousand dollars for a boat, sure, 500.00 bucks is a bar tab or gas money, but then again the 5,000 dollar first place prize isn't much either.. IT would be nice to join in the fun, but the entry fee is just ridiculous..

Anyway, I will be heading down to the city on saturday morning to check out all the hot boats, and then back up to the TZ bridge.. lets get a group together !!

The run is on saturday june 15, It starts at 12:00 for whoever asked...
Old 05-16-2002, 08:30 AM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

at100plus anyone is welcome to hang at the bridge. the more the merrier. I would think a week or so before the run you will see a post on where and when to get together . I would like to meet somewhere around the Bear Mt bridge and have a run together to where we are going to raft up. Tantrum has a list of members in the area that are thinking of going . he was thinking of a place we could all meet for breakfast but the problem was where????

Quick Reply: Color me POOR !! ( NYC Poker-Run )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.