Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

But He's 101 years old! http://www.myspace.com/reggiemfountain
Old 12-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Demand isn't 5% of what it was 5 years ago for new performance boats. Reggie is a legend and has a barn full of trophies. He is easy to pick fun at until he looks you square in the eye and asks "how many trophies do you have?"

At his age, he should just retire, enjoy life and look back on a successful career! The guy is 69 years old and really has nothing to prove to anyone.
Obviously, he won't.

One thing lost in this discussion, is that while everyone appreciates and respects Reggie for all he has done, many don't like the way he's done it, and many more don't really like Fountain boats. Obviously, many others do like the boats.

He doesn't have anything to prove, but he does have a massive ego, and the need to be in the public eye. People that want fast boats can still enjoy Reggie in the news, while not buying his boats, whatever they may be. His racing heritage and trophies mean nothing to those that own Cigs, Powerplays and whatever. They don't seem to mind who the owners are, although some of them have their own following.

Just sayin, if he does do something else, and Fountain still prospered, or not, what's proven? Worse, what's accomplished? I see him as an outrageously successful guy in many careers, that is about to find out why some have failed miserably by just staying in the game too long.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dreamer
The performance boat business is changing fast and there are certain basic elements that must be in place to succeed."
Earlier this year, Fountain Powerboats emerged from bankruptcy thanks to the financial backing of Liberty Associates.
so the guy that spent it into the ground .... critisizing the ones who rescue it
Before some of you get sore arms from patting Reggie on the back, read dreamer's post. My question is: How many creditor's took it in the "wallet" by either taking a lot less on what they were owed, or got NOTHING at all.
Nice guy, marine performance expert. Yes.
Poor to Lousy business owner. Well that depends on which side of the Chapter 11 you fall on.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ROTAX454

Of the subject but what kind of building is that in your picture?
Old 12-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy

I feel sorry for all of the investors who took a hit. Anyone who has owned stock in a company to watch it squanderd away will understand. Even as the stock became a "penny stock" Fountain boats inc. were pissing away money on racing. Remember the old saying: How do you make a million dolars boat racing? Start with 2 million. Just like many other high profile boat companies, the owner pissed away the shareholders money. Yes Reggie was/is a successful builder, but at whose expense?-the shareholders. The sad part is that when Reggie starts a new company, there will be many who will purchase stock ignoring his business history.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
ROTAX454

Of the subject but what kind of building is that in your picture?
Looks to me like one of the metal carport type enclosures very common here in MI..........

http://www.americansteelinc.com/carport_styles.html
Old 12-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Let me offer my opinion. And before I do, let me hint that although I don’t own one of Reggie’s products, I have had an “affiliation” with them for over 20 years. Reggie Fountain is many things. Many of the things he is have been good for the high performance boating industry. Among the things he’s good at are promotion, continuous improvement, showmanship and customer relations.

On the flip side, boating is a business and the number one goal of any business is to make money – both for the business and any investors in that business. As a businessman, Reggie hasn’t done so well. His business – and the investors in his business – have lost some big money. Is it Reggie’s fault? Unfortunately, a good deal of it is. Sure the economy tanking didn’t help his case, but the quality of the boats leaving Washington, NC in the last few years has been “highly variable” at best. Some of the stuff I’ve seen in the last few years would have embarrassed Bayliner.

So, is it bad for the industry that Reggie is out at the company that bears his name? In my opinion it’s sad, but not bad. Unfortunately, I’m not sure a bunch of bean counters are going to be any better for the business. I guess everybody looses here.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Reading etween the lines, it seems he is about to pull a classic D.A. manuvure. Will his new boats have beaks???
Old 12-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Demand isn't 5% of what it was 5 years ago for new performance boats. Reggie is a legend and has a barn full of trophies. He is easy to pick fun at until he looks you square in the eye and asks "how many trophies do you have?"

At his age, he should just retire, enjoy life and look back on a successful career! The guy is 69 years old and really has nothing to prove to anyone.
Bet his collection is a little larger now.
I agree with you, now is a good time to sit back and enjoy retirement. But if boat building is what he wants to do, He has my support! BTW, Is he still involved in realstate?

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by X-Driver
I think a big sign to Reggie's future will be if his son resigns from Fountian in the next couple of months. If he does, I would speculate that Reggie has something up his black nylon sleeve.
AS FOR MY BROTHER WYATT ONLY HE CAN MAKE HIS DECISIONS! MYSELF(REGGIE III) I AM WITH MY DAD AND LOOK FORWARD TO THE FUTURE!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.