Notices

Poker run capable?

Old 12-16-2010, 01:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate the replies. I've some thinking to do. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:03 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by scarabman
If you want to do the runs, just do them. Dont let the boat dictate your level of fun. We did the Key west run a couple years ago in a 26 Sonic w/ a 496. were we the smallest and slowest boat there? Yes. Were we the last to all the stops? No. Fast boats dont always run fast for long!

We had an absolute BLAST, by the way!
That's the spirit...

There is always a bigger fish, just do things for yourself no one worth it will ever think less of any other ride. And if they do I would not hang with them a whole lot.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:10 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tabajay
Curious what would be considered minimally capable for Florida Powerboat Club poker runs.

The Tuff 28? http://www.tuffmarine.com/Boat_Pages...28_inboard.htm
It's a fine rig.

Hell I did Miami to Vermont in May 1989 in 6 days with a smaller boat than that! Norfolk to New York offshore also...

They called it a 27 then but it has grown corporately to 29 through the years!

Last edited by GLH; 12-16-2010 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by tabajay
I've some thinking to do. Thanks.
I agree - you've got a great budget (wish I had that kind of budget) so take your time and figure out what you want. Lots of Donzi's, Cigs, Fountains in that price range if you want a V-Bottom.

If you don't have much offshore experience the Cat Insurance might be a floor drop to the jaw for you.

Don't forget that you are going to have to tow this thing - that is a big part of the equation.

I have consistently been the last person to every card stop I have ever arrived at, and I have LOVED every minute of it.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
If you don't have much offshore experience the Cat Insurance might be a floor drop to the jaw for you.
I understand it's expensive. Just thought maybe the total costs would favor the (smaller, equally capable) cat.

Don't forget that you are going to have to tow this thing - that is a big part of the equation.
Another reason why I really favor a smaller boat.

I have consistently been the last person to every card stop I have ever arrived at, and I have LOVED every minute of it.
Enough have said this now that I believe it!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
On shootout weekend at LOTO, you'll get beat up unless your on a 50' SeaRay or bigger
I know I was wishing I had another 10' on my boat there this year at one point
Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

What's the purpose of a smaller boat exactly? cost? If it is.. the FPC runs aren't cheap. I just looked this week because I really want to run the Bahamas run next year. But the price to get in is $750 for two people. Plus fuel, dockage, hotel, customs fees, tolls to get down there, etc.

This isn't just FPC either, it seems pretty much across the board poker runs have increased in entry cost exponentially over the past 10-15 years. With those increases the smaller guys with smaller budgets are getting flushed out.

As Tom A. said he did runs with his 22 Donzi. My brother did the same many years ago. In today's times less frequent.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLT193
What's the purpose of a smaller boat exactly? cost? If it is.. the FPC runs aren't cheap. I just looked this week because I really want to run the Bahamas run next year. But the price to get in is $750 for two people. Plus fuel, dockage, hotel, customs fees, tolls to get down there, etc.

This isn't just FPC either, it seems pretty much across the board poker runs have increased in entry cost exponentially over the past 10-15 years. With those increases the smaller guys with smaller budgets are getting flushed out.

As Tom A. said he did runs with his 22 Donzi. My brother did the same many years ago. In today's times less frequent.

Stu prefers not to have single engine boats on his Bahamas Runs. He doesn't want to leave anyone out there if they break. You can call and he might make an exception because the boat is new. That run can get ugly quickly, seas flat on the way over like sitting in the bolster the whole 50 miles and then 2 days later you are leaving in 4-6 footers trying to get home before seas build to 8-10's!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:46 PM
Registered

I have always wondered what size is acceptable for a poker run, from this discussion it looks like it depends on the run, and skill for the most part. I just got a Formula F3LS that I am going to restore and was hoping to be able to do some of the easier runs. Its 21' 8" so it will definately be the smaller/smallest boat out there...
Old 12-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Registered

As all have said, the boat will do fine, maybe not the first there, but you will have fun.

But, the Bahamas Poker Run is a different animal. i've done it 3 times, '07, '08 and '10, in a Donzi 38ZR and wished I had had a little more length. Of all three years, the smallest boat to go was a 35' Fountain, and they got beat up. The average sizes are 38' - 42'. This year going over was the roughest, boat came out of the water many times. I would not even think about attempting in a 28'. I can attest first hand, DON'T break down out there.

It is expensive, but probably the most fun i've ever had in my boat. The $750 sign up fee is just the beginning of the cost. It cost $300 just to enter the Bahamas and you are raped every where you go. But, Stu and Jackie do a real good planning job.