Notices

Boat market 2011......

Old 12-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rippem
not alot of middle classers looking at Cigs, MTI's and OL.

why anyone thinks that the upper income 5% of the perf boating community buying these more exclusive brands signal any kind of recovery for the industry, or will do much, I don't know.

the truly (upper) middle class (define in $?), traditionally the majority of this segment will not be reviving the industry with buys in 2011.
Excellent post also the middle class as we new it that could afford a 75k boat is gone.Real estate and investment losses have moved many of them farther away from rich.That combined with the fact that there is a huge supply of used boats out there.......its going to be a long time.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks like quite a few used boats have moved in the last 3 months. May spark some new sales hopefully. I know DCB is still very healthy. There has been lots of pain in the industry, I think if the oil prices don't go nuts some form of gradual recovery will continue. If oil goes up a great deal I'm afraid that would stifle the recovery. Not because it will stop most of us from boating, but it will keep most consumers from being able to buy products. I did my part last year new Nautique and 11 F-250.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

rsess
i would have to think that Toronto and GTA in general is out of touch with the norm in Canada. Being from the Windsor area we have been seeing the area shadow Michigan economy wise, albeit maybe not to the same extent but the auto industry along with others have been seeing their share of hits here in Canada.

Yes the dollar is close to par with the greenback but when you are primarily an export country that isn't always good... I feel the only thing propping up the Canadian economy as a whole are the raw commodities; ie oil, wood, pulp and paper, mining etc. The sad part is if you look at the ownership of those areas China has been creeping in and snatching up market share.
I think as a whole the US and Canadian economies are very unstable still, and i don't see it ever being the same as it was 10+ yrs ago, might be good again, but it will definitely be different...
Old 12-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am boatless now and unloading the the crap I never used anyway and looking to get an older hull or maybe an unfinished project, something around 20k and just build a nice boat for cash and try to keep it around 100k and paid for.

Wife is having some health problems hasnt worked much in 2 years and I work on motorcycles and that biz has taken it hard, nobody needs a motorcycle.

Last edited by LapseofReason; 12-11-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:41 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 39 Unlimited
Same applies to all market segments. Buyers in todays market get a better product.
what???

one: we aren't talking about all segments

two: As in anyone who sees themselves as able to buy, are the upper crusty 5% buying high end.

didn't I say that???
Old 12-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by 39 Unlimited
Same applies to all market segments. Buyers in todays market get a better product.
Consider though that many of the companies mentioned are working with less staff, many of the former key employees are no longer there so are you really getting the same caliber product that you would have in the high?

Gary Stray no longer rigs MTI's and Neill is no longer overseeing Cigarette (Tim G isn't there either) just to give a few examples. How many components are leftovers, Donzi/Fountain seem to be assembling old stock to make new boats. Just a few things to consider......
Old 12-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
Excellent post also the middle class as we new it that could afford a 75k boat is gone.Real estate and investment losses have moved many of them farther away from rich.That combined with the fact that there is a huge supply of used boats out there.......its going to be a long time.

even if the real money is the same (not spec money like your home value being inflated/deflated) not many buyers willing to spend on big dollar anything right now, being cautious. I still live in the same house that I have since 2001 and owe significantly less than it is still worth and like you, my goal is the payoff (7 years +/-). I have never owned a truck much past 100K miles and my current one is 164K but since paid off I won't really consider replacing it. So for me, a new boat is not even on the table despite things being stable economywise.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
even if the real money is the same (not spec money like your home value being inflated/deflated) not many buyers willing to spend on big dollar anything right now, being cautious. I still live in the same house that I have since 2001 and owe significantly less than it is still worth and like you, my goal is the payoff (7 years +/-). I have never owned a truck much past 100K miles and my current one is 164K but since paid off I won't really consider replacing it. So for me, a new boat is not even on the table despite things being stable economywise.
Same hear could do new but just won't take the 100k hit the first time I put it in the water and start it.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know these arenot a high end perf. boat but wanted to agree with the gent. that said with some of the moer experienced riggers not being a part of something. I own a small detail buisness and do all the cleaning for one of our local marinas. They carry Harris Flote Botes and this last model year the attention to detail with the assembly was not what they had been in the previos model years. but the price kepps going up.

On the economical side I 'm wanting to move up in my boat size. I'm not a real wealthy guy just your average joe. I have a 23 Eliminator and a 04 Tahoe. Tahoe pulls my boat just fine but I feel if I want to move up to a 27 to 30' boat I will also need to get me a 3/4 ton truck. I feel the way thing are now trying to do both is not a wise move for me.

What I feel I'm getting at and this is not a set in stone type deal but I feel it takes people like me to buy the used boats so that the previous owners are more willing to take the plunge into a new boat.

James