Like Tree0Likes

New Performance Boating Magazine Launched

Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Becker View Post
Because word is getting around, it makes sense for us to give potential readers a heads-up on Sport Boat magazine. First, I must thank my friend and colleague Matt Trulio for sharing the news on his blog and here on Offshoreonly.com

Very simply stated, Sport Boat’s parent company, Source Interlink Media, is exploring a business opportunity. Because Source Interlink Media publishes some 65 automotive titles, it serves a large pool of potential advertisers that might be interested in the performance marine market. With Sport Boat magazine, Source Interlink Media is not necessarily catering to the boat manufacturing segment, and is intended to be profitable without advertising dollars from boat manufacturers.

In more specific terms, Source Interlink Media publishes several “special interest” publications in various markets each year to gauge whether regular publication is viable and profitable. For example, Source Interlink Media published Bound by Ink, a special interest tattoo magazine, and it has since become not only a quarterly title, but also the largest-circulation tattoo magazine in North America.

This “pilot balloon” approach is typical of how large publishing companies launch magazines. Similarly, Camaro Performers, GM High Tech Performance and Engine Masters—all of which are now published regularly—were launched the same way. Economics will dictate Sport Boat’s fate. If people buy the magazine, if it sells well on the newsstand, it will continue. If they don’t, then it will not.

For those who said they liked Family & Performance Boating, they’ll be glad to learn former FPB executive editor Warren Kosikov played a significant role in shaping Sport Boat. I served as editor-in-chief of the premiere issue. In addition, magazine publishing veterans like associate publisher Joe Rode and executive editor Gregg Mansfield were instrumental in putting the first issue together.

We hope people enjoy it, because if there is one constant among performance boaters, it’s that your appetite for news and information about your passion is boundless.

Look for it on the newsstand January 25.
Thanks for the additional information, Brett. Now we can get back to why Powerboat sucks.

Oh wait, we already have.

Note the somewhat tonque-in-cheek yet slightly bitter tone.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 12-22-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Custom Interiors & More
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 184 SS, 180 Islander, 220 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja226sport View Post
Just my opinion and I am sure nobody else cares but.....i cancelled PB just because it seems more like car and driver rather than hot rod magazine.

It is out of touch with the guy who is actually paying to read it...only features brand new $500,000 boats. Even though there is a "tech" page the guys that need info/guidance aren't in the super expensive boats. Face it, if you can afford that you just pay someone to figure it out!!

How about readers rides and some custom builds or something. Nice rebuilds of boats a few years old???

I can dream without a monthly subscription. Hotboat used to do some stuff like that and i wish they were still around!!!
+1

I have plenty photos of before and after refabs (mostly Baja's) As Baja closed here in Ohio, we have become the place that Sea Ray, and Fountain have directed customer questions on Baja models older than 2009. We could do a story on your 226?

XT
Old 12-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Registered

My Boats: Velocity 290 VR- 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Colby View Post
Thanks. Comments like this are greatly appreciated and believe me, no one misses that magazine more than me. Best of luck to the guys with Sport Boat.
Someone needs to tell the new mag to hire you to write for them!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (28)

My Boats: 38 Scarab Avs 700 Whipple & Baja 250 ES

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT-Innovator View Post
+1

I have plenty photos of before and after refabs (mostly Baja's) As Baja closed here in Ohio, we have become the place that Sea Ray, and Fountain have directed customer questions on Baja models older than 2009. We could do a story on your 226?

XT
Unfortunately after tons of time and money through numerous upgrades my 226 was sold to my best friend. And he did not seem to have the same passion for caring for it.

I am about to move onto a formula 272 sr1 that is nice but will go through tons of upgrades. That is the kind of stuff I am interested in in a magazine.

Boat upgrades, realistic engine builds. Stuff I can actually do!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Registered

My Boats: 24 OUTLAW

Matt, thanks for posting this. It made me realize I miss reading Powerboat Magazine. We used to get it for FREE at the BAJA factory (boxful!). I dont have a problem with 6 issues a year. I just subscribed a few minutes ago online. Its still a bargain at $3.33 an issue. I'll just drink 12 beers tonight instead of 13!

I also didnt realize just how much info the website contained. Looks like I have a new place to spend my time after I get burnt out on the "bitter" threads.

http://www.powerboatmag.com/

Last edited by TEAMBAJA; 12-22-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMBAJA View Post
Matt, thanks for posting this. It made me realize I miss reading Powerboat Magazine. We used to get it for FREE at the BAJA factory (boxful!). I dont have a problem with 6 issues a year. I just subscribed a few minutes ago online. Its still a bargain at $3.33 an issue. I'll just drink 12 beers tonight instead of 13!

I also didnt realize just how much info the website contained. Looks like I have a new place to spend my time after I get burnt out on the "bitter" threads.

http://www.powerboatmag.com/
Thanks, TeamBaja, for the kind words, on the magazine.

Editor Jason Johson and the crew at Powerboat have done a ton of work on the website and it's shows. Obviously, it's not as interactive as offshoreonly.com—the site has no message boards—but the new blogs are solid and you can find news (some of which I gather) there in real time, which is something no magazine can do.

Once again, even though this thread has drifted from its original topic, all of your input is valued.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2005 Velocity 290SC

Matt--

Thanks for all of your boat news and unbiased reporting. I'm glad you post here--it adds a lot to this website and makes it easy for me to keep up with!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

My Boats: '86 '36 Mainship double cabin REALLY slow cabin cruiser
Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja226sport View Post
it seems more like car and driver rather than hot rod magazine.

It is out of touch with the guy who is actually paying to read it...only features brand new $500,000 boats. Even though there is a "tech" page the guys that need info/guidance aren't in the super expensive boats. Face it, if you can afford that you just pay someone to figure it out!!

How about readers rides and some custom builds or something. Nice rebuilds of boats a few years old???

I can dream without a monthly subscription. Hotboat used to do some stuff like that and i wish they were still around!!!
Well said. I miss the rebuild articles that gave us average Joe's hope to be able to play in a sport/hobby that many of us really can't justify.
I remember after reading a PB maybe 10yrs ago sending them a letter after figuring the average cost of the boats in said issue.
I think it was $230K. Remember that was 10 yrs ago!
The high zoot boats are cool but how many 25' Baja's and Formula's do you see in comparison?
Which would you rather read about? A. The latest and greatest $750K Nor-Tec/Outer limits or B. A guy that makes $30K a year and just finished a 2 yr restoration on a 30' Panther?
I just dropped one of my car magazines too after they started pandering to the rich guys that paid a $100K to a shop to restore their '68 Z-28 to Concourse quality. Who cares? Show me a primer'd '68 Dart w/a time slip from the track and how they built it!
Or......, your at the dock and the guy pulls in in the new $750K wizmobile and right beside him is the restored Panther. Which do you look at
? (want a hint?)

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 12-23-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Registered

My Boats: Velocity 290 VR- 1

Matt, don't get upset, I have been playing nice. <g> but.....I think PBM or any other mag has to think outside their usual box. They need to give something we can't get on the web.

An example, how about head to head tests such as Fountain vs Velocity vs Sunsation etc. Compare the bottoms, the interior, the ride, the speed etc. Just like a car mag would compare a Mustang, a Camero and a Charger. This is something you or Eric Colby could do and do well! Nobody is doing this and while it has been a while, the last time I saw any PBM tests they make it even harder, for the reader, by mixing up the type and sizes boats into many issues.

It times like these you can not survive by doing the same old thing. Give people something they can not get elsewhere and people, including me will come back to PBM.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
Thanks for the additional information, Brett. Now we can get back to why Powerboat sucks.

Oh wait, we already have.

Note the somewhat tonque-in-cheek yet slightly bitter tone.
I really do enjoy your articles and the coverage you provide. The two go-fast boat magazines I get are Performance Boats and PowerBoat. It just seems like every month (bi-monthly now) that Performance Boats gets closer to PowerBoat quality. I looked forward to getting PowerBoat every month and it switching to bi-monthly mid subscription kinda ticked me off.