Like Tree0Likes

Help with Fountain Factory

Old 05-15-2002, 12:47 PM
Registered

My Boats: 98 Fountain 35' w/ KE800SC MERC IIIs
Unhappy Help with Fountain Factory

Hopefully someone can give some advice here.

I delivered my Fountain boat to the Fountain Factory last March for a warranty repair for a crack on the deck by the engine hatch and a broken stringer in the bilge. No problem Fountain said "bring it in".

In early April Steve Harrelson (Fountain service) said the boat will be worked-on twords the end of the month and once it is in the shop it should take about a week to fix.

On April 15th I called Steve Harrelson to check-in on the progress of the boat and to get a more definate completion date so I can make plans to go pick it up. I live in Wisconsin; Foutain is in North Carolina. I left a message and never got a call back.

One week later I called and asked for his boss (Jeff Harris), I left a message. In fact I left a message every other day until he called me back on May 2nd. He said the boat is in the shop and it should be ready for pick-up by May 10th. But call and confirm on May 7th. Fine no problem...

On May 7th I left a message (I reminded him that he told me to call him on this day). Never got a call back. I called on May 8th never got a call back, I called on May 9th never got a call. I called on May 10th never got a call. However on May 10th I said in my message that I plan to drive to NC on May16th please confirm that the boat will be ready. Never got a call back.

I called on May 13th and talked to Gail (apparently his secretary) begging for Jeff to call me back. I stated my case; I have work considerations and Family planning in order make the drive and I need confirmation that my boat will be ready this week. Never got a call back.

Yesterday May 14 I got a hold of Gail appalled that Jeff could not return my call after 2 weeks. She said he was in a meeting and I asked her to interrupped him and confirm my boat pick-up date. She came back to say the boat would not be ready. OK. I then begged her to have Jeff call be back to give me a completion date. (After all these messages I still have not lost my temper yet.) I just want to know what's going -on. Jeff did not call me back.

By the way I had been leaving messages with Steve Harrelson as well.

Today May 15th I called Gail. She told me that Jeff goes on vacation tomarrow!!!! I again begged her to have Jeff call me back today - before he goes on vacation - so I can get a completion date. She said Jeff was busy. "So am I, aren't we all busy?" Why won't he talk to me?

What should I do? No one will talk to me and they have my $200,000 boat!

Please advise me.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:57 PM
Registered

My Boats: Donzi Sweet 16

Joe,

You're a better man than me, because I have no patience for that type of behavior...I have nothing much to offer except next time, call and ask to talk to Reggie!

Sean
Old 05-15-2002, 01:02 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1986 Four Winns Liberator 241

I have no advice for you. I just want to know what the f**k happened to customer service. All the **** I have read lately on this board about manufacturers bad mouthing others. Screwing around their existing customers, not talking to potential customers. I tell you it will make it a lot easier to buy my next boat as there are very few manufacturers that I will even trust. Man I'm pissed right off reading this!

Good luck getting your boat back Joe.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:03 PM
Registered

My Boats: It's how well you go fast

dude,,,,i feel for ya....this type of thing is text book for the marine biz. keep us posted....love to hear how it turns out.

joey
f2-80
Old 05-15-2002, 01:05 PM
Member #9
Charter Member

I agree, that's BS

I highly doubt they are overly busy building boats thus delaying your boat fix.

Sounds like a road trip to me with trailer and some "ass kick'n boots" to me

Keep up the pressure, faxes, etc....

Keep us informed.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:08 PM
Ike
Charter Member#93
Charter Member

My Boats: 1989 41ft Apache Indian Outlaw

There is another oso member having the same problem you are having, I would be very pissed if this was happing to me! Send me a private message if you want to talk to him.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:12 PM
Registered

My Boats: 31 Jupiter w/ 300 VRods
Thumbs down

I would work under the premise that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I would call continuously and defiantly ask for Reggie. I would also get the dealer you bought the boat from involved. Send a fax or certified letter to Reggie explaining your situation and point out the thread on OSO.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:23 PM
Registered

My Boats: 98 Fountain 35' w/ KE800SC MERC IIIs

I will "leave a messaage" for Reggie at noon. I still have not heard anything from Fountain -yet. I'm calling my lawyer at 3Pm today.

I'll give them a couple of hours to call me back. Today is crucial since Gail said that Jeff Harris is going on vacation tomarrow.

Old 05-15-2002, 01:37 PM
Cigarette500EFI

Do not forget that Fountain is a public co. They have stock holders to answer to.

Old 05-15-2002, 01:46 PM
Registered

My Boats: Fountain

Joe,

Write a letter to Reggie, sent certified, marked "PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL" State your case, name names, etc.

They owe you big time. You ought to be entitled to a couple of those Fountain leather jackets or a boat load of Fountain goodies (that is if you still want them).

Also, a guy at the factory named Marty Businger was real helpful (although I don't know if he's in the right dept. for your problem).

If I ran my business that way, it wouldn't take long to hit rock bottom.

Best of Luck,

Mark S.