Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jammin on the James or Rock the Bay

If you had to pick one over the other, which would you attend? Why
Old 12-30-2010, 06:35 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I like JoTJ, just everything about the run down is a blast, the dock party is to off the hook, but for me one of the nicest things is the run backup the river to Jordan point on Sunday. just picture a flat calm winding river that you can just roll up at 3/4 throttle the whole way. top 5 boating experience.

I've never done rock the bay, but do think the upper Chesapeake is great boating as well.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Have done both runs JOTJ, its on the James river, beautiful sites. Great folks, dock party, stay overnight in a great hotel, banquet is in a large room in a hotel with great food, and a first class band. Get up in the morning and run back to Jordan Point, the start of the run, at your own leisure, stop by Chippokes if you want and hang out, on the way back.
Rock the Bay, is run from Northeast Md. down the bay to Red Eye's dock bar for lunch, then back to Northeast md to the Naughty Goose. If you like alot of air time this is a better run for that, as the Chesapeake can be rough at times. In your avitar it says NJ. A lot of the NJPC run RTB, Dave P, and the folks usually are their.
Go on www.speedwake.com and check out the pictures of the run. Then you can go to the pictures and vids, of the JOTJ, on OSO, and www.boatfreaks.org.
It will give you a flavor for both.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

I have done JOTJ a couple years running so here's my take. BIG Dock Party with plenty of x-rated entertainment value. It's a big run - I believe about 120 boats was the cap last year.

You draw the cards on Friday night so there aren't any "stops". It is basically a high speed boat parade down the james river with a lunch stop that is really something to see. It's about 90-100 miles down the James River.

Music, Party, Liquor at the Hotel are all good....

If it's any indication it rained about half the time last year and not one person could have cared!!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

There is no question James is the run. I have done Rock the bay for years now. It is boring same run , the swim suit contest if you want to call it that is horrible and so is the video. Not bashing the run , just stating the facts. The only reason why we do it , we have about 10 boats that get together each year and make it our own party.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

I have done both and I would definitely pick JOTJ.....good water, good hardware, good lunch stop, off the hook dock party, and good banquet with proceeds going to an awesome charity....not sure if RTB is a charity run or not
Old 12-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Yes....RTB does contribute monies to a charity.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Registered

JOTJ great run and dock party is off the hook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:52 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

never done RTB but would if the opportunity ever arose. JOTJ is what got my wife and I into this hobby and we haven't missed one since. JOTJ also donates ALL $$$ after expenses to the Shriners.....$25K last year alone.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Registered

Jammin !!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.