Like Tree0Likes

Do You NEED a Cabin?

Old 01-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)

We have a slip and are at the lake every weekend starting mid May till Nov 1st. The boat is our home away from home. With that said, we did this with the 32 for 6 yrs. Last summer wanted a little more comfort and bought a cruiser, but wouldn't hesitate 1 second about tossing the Fountain back in the slip. We use and need a cabin. Size does not matter.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Registered

My Boats: Fountain 35 w/500 EFI's, 1973 Donzi X-18 w/383 Mag,1974 Chris Craft Roamer w/1271TI's

I have a cabin. It has 3 staterooms (with a king in the master), 3 heads with showers, galley, 3 fridges, walk in engine rooms, sun porch, salon and a pilot house. Takes 6 A/C units to keep it comfortable. It is parked 2 slips down from the Donzi. I am glad to have a cabin in the little Donzi too. The cabin in the lil Donzi is nice on those cold trips down the lake and for the summer rain storms. I would probably overnight in it but it would be kind of crowded with the dogs.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:33 PM
JnT
Registered

My Boats: 1987 Apache Scout

We are running the whole gauntlet. Started with a cc with no cabin. Slept under the bimini but no privacy kept us close to the marina. Our little Apache has space to hide out and use a porta potti. Have a pontoon with an enclosure that worked good but it still lacked in the comfort area. Now I have a houseboat with the Apache as a tender and its working out nice! BTW these boats are solid and in good shape but have a few years on them. Shop for what you need to make that weekend perfect.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Sonic 386

Gotta have the cabin. We sleep 5 in it on the weekends. Heat, Ac, flat panel, etc. Nothin better than waking up in the morning already boating.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Registered

My Boats: 31 Scarab Thunder

We need it...sleep in it every weekend were boating.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1990 Donzi Sweet 16

Wow, I guess I didn't realize how many folks in the mid-west sleep on their boats! I know a lot of boaters in New England, but very few that routinely sleep on their boats, if ever at all. The only people I see sleeping on their boats are folks that dont live along the coast or are from out of town.

I live right next to a large marina, bar/restaurant, and boat ramp so it's not like I need to go to the boat to get away or to enjoy the atmosphere. I'd also rather sleep in my own comfy bed rather than sleep in the damp, cramped, hot, and sticky boat. I don't think I would ever use this boat as a second home or even a hotel room.

As stated, I don't have kids to worry about and we are blessed with having a lot of local destinations and party spots within easy day trip range.

We pick and choose our boating days and are frequently fairly close to home, so shelter from the weather isn't much of concern.

I guess at the end of the day the only really desire I have for a cabin is having a place for the ladies to do their duties. And even at that, more often than not we are often with others that have a head on their boat or we're at a location that has public facilities. But then again, there's always someone that has to go at the most inconvenient time!

I guess I'm coming to the conclusion that a cabin certainly isn't a 'must' for me, but at least having an enclosed pot-o-potty would be a nice plus. On the flip side, with no head, there's no smell or cleaning duties/issues either.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 01-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Registered

My Boats: 28 Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4195 View Post
I guess it depends on what type of boating you are doing and who with. For me it is a must. I need a place for all my crap, plus the girls get changed, bathroom etc. Plus I find myself all of a sudden slepping on the boat. If you have one and you need it you are all set and if you need one and don't have one you are screwed. Plus resale must be considered.
this is the best post so far.

p.s. I run a 2 man raceboat, no 'cabin'. There have been times when it would have been cool. For instance a trip to a bar where you can party all night and just flop into the cabin and pass out instead of dealing with BS of getting home and coming back the next day for the boat, etc. JUst wake up, kick her out, drink some water, eat some greasy food, have a dump and go back to the cottage!

Last edited by ar15meister; 01-04-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Registered

For us even the closet lake is 1.5 to 2 hours towing. So yea, we sleep on the boat.

As for hot, and sticky,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, that's why they make AC units.

If we had stayed in FL, I doubt I would have ever slept on the boat again.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Trade Score: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15meister View Post
this is the best post so far.

p.s. I run a 2 man raceboat, no 'cabin'. There have been times when it would have been cool. For instance a trip to a bar where you can party all night and just flop into the cabin and pass out instead of dealing with BS of getting home and coming back the next day for the boat, etc. JUst wake up, kick her out, drink some water, eat some greasy food, have a dump and go back to the cottage!
No, THIS is the best post so far.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1987 Donzi 22; 2008 Donzi 28 ZXO

In Florida a full cabin is a hot box unless you have A/C.

That said... my Mid Cabin is awesome. Both doors open make it shady and breezy. kids can sleep in there. dry storage in there. weather protection if needed. no wasted space for sitting so we aren't all crammed in the back.

Once you get past the mantra of having a 'bow rider' you realize you get the best of all worlds.