Like Tree0Likes

Newb looking for advice on used boats

Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Registered

Default Newb looking for advice on used boats

First off I currenlty own a Baja Outlaw 20 which is a great boat. Really fun but being the Chesapeake, VA I have to keep out of the big bay most of the time, so I am looking for something bigger. I am currently looking at a few different options. 2001 Donzi 26ZX 496HO, 1997 Baja 29 Outlaw twin 454s, 2003 Baja 25' 496HO. The only twin engine boat i have owned was a 28' Topaz sport fish with twin diesels and it always seemed to be needing something. It was one engine or the other. So my question is this. Whats the ride quality of the Baja 29 vs a Baja outlaw 25. Also quality build of Donzi vs Baja. Yes I have used the search feature. Please dont reply if you dont intend on giving me some honest advice.
thanks
brett
Old 01-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Registered

My Boats: 85 Baja Force 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac8369 View Post
First off I currenlty own a Baja Outlaw 20 which is a great boat. Really fun but being the Chesapeake, VA I have to keep out of the big bay most of the time, so I am looking for something bigger. I am currently looking at a few different options. 2001 Donzi 26ZX 496HO, 1997 Baja 29 Outlaw twin 454s, 2003 Baja 25' 496HO. The only twin engine boat i have owned was a 28' Topaz sport fish with twin diesels and it always seemed to be needing something. It was one engine or the other. So my question is this. Whats the ride quality of the Baja 29 vs a Baja outlaw 25. Also quality build of Donzi vs Baja. Yes I have used the search feature. Please dont reply if you dont intend on giving me some honest advice.
thanks
brett

The Donzi is going to have a nicer build quality. The fit and finish will be nicer, as well as some of the rigging. That said, the Baja's will probably be a better ride. They are larger, heavier, and they don't have a stepped hull. Remember, the Donzi isn't really a 26', the swim platform makes it more like a 24'. The 29' OL vs the 25' OL is going to be a night and day difference. That 4' is going to feel like a mile.

IMO you should look at the following as well:
Panteras:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o32304-en.html

Active Thunders:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o36920-en.html

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o36977-en.html

I wouldn't worry so much about actually "breaking" a motor on a twin engine setup, as long as you're fairly easy on them they're pretty reliable, but the maintenance is going to be double. Buying 16 spark plugs, two sets of wires, 16 Q's of oil, double the drive lube, two oil filters, two fuel filters, etc. adds up in a hurry...

Last edited by wjb21ndtown; 01-04-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: Cigarette - Cafe Racer

Bmac - Welcome to OSO.

I think most are goign to tell you that the Donzi is the nicer of the two brands.

Only you can make the call on whether or not you want to go to twins. You'll have twice the maintenance, twice the gas, insurance increase, and twice the "other stuff" that Wjb21 mentioned. On the flip side docking and manuevarability is better and you will always make it home.

If you get a chance jump over to the Poker Run forum and check out the Jammin' on the James and the ACS Cancer run - JOTJ is out of Hopewell and ends in Portsmouth, and the ACS run is out of Waterside - Hope to see you there.