Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boating living working in Mobile Alabama ? >

Boating living working in Mobile Alabama ?

Notices

Boating living working in Mobile Alabama ?

Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO IT!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great area for boating and the Marine lifestyle. Sounds like you're a natural leader, and I don't think your friend would recommend you go there if he didn't think you could handle the job. What does your father say?

As has been said, if it doesn't work out you can always go back home, but I say give it a shot. I think you'll like the area and all it has to offer for the boating lifestyle.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
Great area for boating and the Marine lifestyle. Sounds like you're a natural leader, and I don't think your friend would recommend you go there if he didn't think you could handle the job. What does your father say?

As has been said, if it doesn't work out you can always go back home, but I say give it a shot. I think you'll like the area and all it has to offer for the boating lifestyle.
My parents have past away, I am the youngest of six, 4 boys 2 girls. One sister is also dead. The other is a DR. (shrink) in Atlanta tells me to do what I feel is right, the brother I trust is like me same job, same house he bought when he moved out of home,says hmmm sounds scary the other two are pot heads and I dont see them much except when they need me to fix something.

My best friend is a NASA engineer so he said he had to research the company and get back to me.

So I put it out here to see what I get.

Now dont you guy's and gal's think I am rich, I am keeping my house here because I like it, it's nice and on the water but lost about 300k in the last 2 years so if I sold I would be even. My wife has some health problems that are not going to get better we just hope they dont get worse. She hasnt worked in 2 years and wont anymore she was making about 150k a year.

They took her drivers license and say she needs to be on disability but it's been 18 months trying to get it and looks like 1-2 more years before we do. With all the people coming back from the wars they get first dibs.
We have writers in our life insurance that will let us start living better again and shes paid more into SS than she will ever get back, but I am paycheck to paycheck right now, this job could be a life line or ruin me. I dont have much wiggle room, or I dont have anything to loose depending on how you look at it. I still pay all my bills on time but thats it, No big boat right now just a 16 foot skiff that will stay here.

I just have a ton of things going though my head now, I hope some people that live around there and know something about the company will chime in. I have been doing a bunch of reading and looking and looks good. The shop I am at now has 10-12 people in season 6-7 out so it's not hard to run and stand out when your good, I have some of the best guys I have ever worked with, I cant imagine 5-6 hundred in one of the 2 shifts a day, never worked on something where you leave and another shift comes in and works on the same stuff, so when you come in the morning it's changed since you last saw it.

Wiki says they get like 66 inches of rain a year, is it like in FL. when it just dumps for 5 minutes then it's over?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only person that can tell you what you want to hear is you. I would take a few days off and make a trip down to check out the job and area,talk to your wife and then make the decision.

I grew up a few hours from there and spent a lot of time in the Orange Beach area. I think you and your family will like it if you decide it's the best choice for you and your family.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Registered

Based on what you spelled out in your initial post, I'd do it in a heartbeat!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:46 AM
Banned

I think by u boy hit it.... go down for a week and see if you can just hang with your buddy and then make your decision.... if that is not an option based on what u have posted here.... i say go for it...
Old 01-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbeecher
great area..I work there and live in Tx.
Had a rent house on Daulphn Island and was great and a 30 minute drive to Austal area (downtown).
Mouth of Mobile Ba..to the west the water is brown and east it is the beginning of the Emerald Coast waters.
Lot of little "joints " on the water from east side of bay and up the ICW all the way to St. George Is.
ENJOY!!
In fact with a good GPS and a lot of luck you can go west and find Jassmans place! BUT you will be LOST by time you get there!
LOL.. Lots of great people this side of the Bayou's.. We moved when I was around 35 from Racine, WI.. best thing I ever did. Been here 14 years, and love it. Boating is great, kinda in between Destin and Texas, and your only about an 1.5 by water and 1hour by truck.. just follow the coast line till you hit the PassChristian / Bay St.Louis bridge. Food is the best in the world.. Caujon style, sea food is plentiful, and the people are very nice.. call me when you get a chance and your settled.. Jeff.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Registered

I guess I will be the only one to say this but you have to look and see what the ship building industry is doing. They have been closing down shipyards in the past 10 years because the navy has less and less need for large ships. The shipyard in Avondale, La. (New Orleans) is closing in 18 months and laying off 5000 people. Two years ago they couldn't hire enough people. The shipyard in Pasagoula (sp?), Ms is going through the same thing. These are a different company than you are talking about (Northrop Grumman) but do some research on ship building. It has been in steady decline for the past 2 decades. Ask what kind of back-log they have on thier contracts, how much over budget do they come in on their ships (if they come in way over budget the number of ships in the order will be cut), etc. Sorry to be so negative, but just wanted to share what was happening in the industry here.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for it,life is full of chances... good luck
Old 01-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Will they guarantee you a couple years? Or is it a try it you will like it. Since you dont have to sell your home base sounds like a good opportunity as you could always move back.

Also sounds like you could pick up some custome bike stuff on a part time basis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.