Notices

Gas In Bildge -help!!

Old 05-16-2002, 02:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gas In Bildge -help!!

O.K. heres the long of the short. My gas gauge is acting up and it reigisters half when it is really full. I did not realize this at the time (I do now). I was at the station, boat on trailer, pumping away and it over fills, right to the top. The fumes are so overwhelming, and I have been trying to air it out for 4 days now, it still smells. I cant even tell if there is actually gas lying in the bootm of teh boat somewhere. I am still affraid of even turning the battery switches on (BOOM) and using the blower.
Any suggestions???
Old 05-16-2002, 03:03 PM
Registered

Exclamation BE CAREFUL!

First,

Is the boat still on the trailer? If so, remove the drain plug and open the hatch. If the hatch is electric, lift it by hand. Start with Castrol Super Clean and mix it with HOT WATER. Make it a STRONG solution and pour it in the bilge. If gas has gotten on other components like the engine, trim pump etc., wet them FIRST then spray with Super Clean and wash with soapy water. Repeat as necessary. I would do a final cleaning with or two with Simple Green and more hot water and soap as this will improve the odor.

Another alternative is to go to your local fire department and ask if you can buy or use some BIO-SOLVE. This is used to remove oil, gas and other vehicle fluids from roadways after an accident. It is Purple and yucky but it works GREAT!

Good luck. If you need any other help let me know.

Shane
Old 05-16-2002, 03:04 PM
Registered

this happened to me the aluminum canister on the fuel filter had a whole and was pouring gas into the bilge I used the oil pads for the bilge, bilge cleaner, 3 or four times, and when I started it the bilge was filled with water and an emulsifier with blower on
to keep fumes down. took awhile to get the gas smell out
like Shane said be careful and due it on the trailer
Mattyboy

Last edited by mattyboy; 05-16-2002 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:13 PM
Charter Member #1251
Charter Member

Default gas?

Chris,
Do you have any access ports in the floor? Or is there anyway to remove any of the floor panels. USE A REG. MANUAL SCREWDRIVER NOT A DRILL!!!! Is the plug in is so pull it out be ready to tighten back up iF gas comes out then get something to catch it. Can you force / pull you engine hatch open to look inside. Good luck an be careful.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The plug is out. I have the nose of the boat as high as I can get it. I have only been able to find two access ports, one in the back of the boat(under the seat) and on towards the fron on the starboard side for the fill. There is little to no room in the access ports.
Old 05-16-2002, 03:46 PM
Registered

I forgot this part, if the 2 access points drain to the main bilge, this is what I did I mixed up a strong solution of water and west marine's bilge cleaner smells good and dumped it into the ski locker which drains to the main bilge then with the plug in ran the hose into the ski locker and watched the bilge fill left the pump in auto mode and pumped it out, cleaned up pretty good!

Mattyboy
Old 05-16-2002, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,
So what your telling me is that we had plenty of gas and could have spent more time out on the lake.

When you pulled the drain plug did anything come out?
Hook that boat up and find a steep hill and have someone like me follow you and see if anything comes dumping out.
I'll make sure that my truck is on Empty as I pull in your drive and we can siphon some of that excess out of your tank.
Spent the afternoon messing with the bilge pumps. The one was working consistant but the other one was to eratic so I bought a new one to replace it. Started raining pretty hard so I've still got work to do.
This little accident of yours got me thinking I wonder why they don't have a blower on my boat. I relize it has the outboards but the same thing could happen to me. Then again, I don't fill it up.$$$$$$

Cheer up pal, it will get better
Cordell
Old 05-17-2002, 08:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cordell,
Yeah, we could have run another 3-4 hours at WOT!

I am available early Saturday or Late Sunday if you need a hand with the bilge pumps.