Salt Water and your Boat/Trailer >

Salt Water and your Boat/Trailer

Notices

Salt Water and your Boat/Trailer

Old 01-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
What else can you do with a boxed steel trailer? Just write it off as junk? How can you prevent water from entering?
Weld / seal it and then pressurize it. It will still continue to rust at this point though.

ALL MARINE TRAILERS SHOULD BE ALUMINUM... PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by SS930
Weld / seal it and then pressurize it. It will still continue to rust at this point though.

ALL MARINE TRAILERS SHOULD BE ALUMINUM... PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
will painted custom trailers on eliminators or DCBs such as extreme trailers rust ? even if maintained and washed properlly?
Old 01-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by PokerRun388
will painted custom trailers on eliminators or DCBs such as extreme trailers rust ? even if maintained and washed properlly?
I wouldn't get any steel trailer near salt, if you're boating in salt get an aluminum trailer, it'll prevent future headaches and be a plus when you go sell it. I won't buy a boat that has a steel trailer, many of coasters won't.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PokerRun388
Yes, and much faster if used in saltwater! I never recommend steel marine trailers at all. Some guys like the way they tow. Great, if you dont mind the extra weight, shorter life expectancy, having to repaint them every so often, and poorer resale value on your used boat/trailer package (since 2/3 of the buyers boat in salt)...
Old 01-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Registered

Yes, and much faster if used in saltwater! I never recommend steel marine trailers at all. Some guys like the way they tow. Great, if you dont mind the extra weight, shorter life expectancy, having to repaint them every so often, and poorer resale value on your used boat/trailer package (since 2/3 of the buyers boat in salt)...
HAAAA!!!! 2/3 of the buyers boat in salt? I bet there are more lake lickers here on this site (and in performance boating in general) than real offshore boaters.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by vette131
If you have a boxed steel painted trailer unless its sealed & pressurized, it won't last long in salt water!
Does anyone have any first-hand experience at sealing or pressurizing a box trailer? An Eagle trailer came with a boat I recently purchased, and I'm trying to decide whether to deal with it or sell it. I've owned an aluminum and a steel Myco, so I know the drill.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
I stop at the local DIY self car wash that has hot water. Power wash with soap then I brush then rinse. Power wash the whole trailer. By the time I am home the boat is dry and clean. I then flush the engine with dawn soap for about 10 mins and wash the engine bay out. After all said and done I wipe down with a quick detail wax.
How do you get dawn into engine? does it come out the exhaust foamy?
Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What you say is true...however I have found a way to slow it down. On the way home from my coastal ramp I found a fresh water lake with a ramp to dip mine in...I'm lucky...only 15 minutes out of my way but it's worth it.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JTeam
Does anyone have any first-hand experience at sealing or pressurizing a box trailer? An Eagle trailer came with a boat I recently purchased, and I'm trying to decide whether to deal with it or sell it. I've owned an aluminum and a steel Myco, so I know the drill.
sell it if you can. if you decide to keep it fill the trailer with nitrogen & install a pressure gauge so you can tell if you have a leak. they will rot from the inside out because you can't paint the inside properly.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dkwestern
How do you get dawn into engine? does it come out the exhaust foamy?

I used to fold the hose about 6 inches back pour it in then put the quick connector on.The soap goes in first when I did it on the lift it did make some suds in the water not sure if it really does any good though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.