Notices

Gun laws on Lake Michigan

Old 01-16-2011, 08:44 AM
  #1  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,715
Received 2,569 Likes on 711 Posts
Question Gun laws on Lake Michigan

Ever since I got my boat I`ve wondered what they are? Can one carry one on a boat? Could I go out few miles with noone around and do some shooting?
Does it depend on State I`m in or is it under Coast Guard rules?
ICDEDPPL is offline  
Old 01-16-2011, 08:50 AM
  #2  
Charter Member #232
Charter Member
 
Audiofn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Carlisle, MA USA
Posts: 18,414
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

I don't know for sure in MI but in Massachusetts you can carry on the boat no problem. I don't know about shooting offshore, but I don't see why not.
__________________
Put your best foot forward!
Audiofn is offline  
Old 01-16-2011, 09:10 AM
  #3  
Registered
 
Downtown42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 1 Flu Ovr KuKos Nest-WI
Posts: 9,950
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Not sure legally but always had fun 5mi E of Milwaukee!!!
Downtown42 is offline  
Old 01-16-2011, 09:16 AM
  #4  
Registered
 
LapseofReason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Stafford Va.
Posts: 2,806
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I am sure that they wont want you shooting into the water unless it's steel shot. I would call a few people and ask to see if they say the same thing, even if it's legal and you start blasting the cops will show up. Here on the Potomac all the water is Maryland property, the guy who owened the company I work for lived Fairfax County and you cant shoot there, he then found out that if he took the one board off his dock so it wasn't atached to his land he was in Maryland so he set up a Skeet thrower off his dock and everybody had a fit but the cops couldn't do anything, the Maryland DNR or whoever they are came over just to make sure he was using steel shot and left. That was 20+ years ago now so I am not sure if they changed now.
LapseofReason is offline  
Old 01-16-2011, 09:19 AM
  #5  
CNC
Registered
 
CNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ludington, Mi.
Posts: 572
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Audiofn View Post
I don't know for sure in MI but in Massachusetts you can carry on the boat no problem. I don't know about shooting offshore, but I don't see why not.
Wow... I have a CCW license in Mi. A friend of mine in Ma. told me I need to get a permit before I bring a gun into Ma. (long or short). Not a gun friendly state only states worst are Il. or Wi.
CNC is offline  
Old 01-16-2011, 09:28 AM
  #6  
CNC
Registered
 
CNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ludington, Mi.
Posts: 572
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
Ever since I got my boat I`ve wondered what they are? Can one carry one on a boat? Could I go out few miles with noone around and do some shooting?
Does it depend on State I`m in or is it under Coast Guard rules?
The first question from the coasties is "any weapons on board?"
I answer yes tell them the location of the weapon and that I have a CCW.....then we continue on from there..
CNC is offline  
Old 01-16-2011, 09:38 AM
  #7  
Registered
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
Posts: 5,695
Received 481 Likes on 226 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CNC View Post
The first question from the coasties is "any weapons on board?"
I answer yes tell them the location of the weapon and that I have a CCW.....then we continue on from there..
Best answer . Whatever you do don't reach for the weapon! Tell them where it is. Don't stray into Canadian waters! I do not carry a weapon on board.

Ooops, Lake Michigan, no Canadian waters. Not nearly as much law enforcement than on the international lakes.....

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 01-16-2011 at 09:46 AM.
thirdchildhood is offline  
Old 01-16-2011, 09:42 AM
  #8  
Registered
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,715
Received 2,569 Likes on 711 Posts
Default

I`m mostly on the Indiana side, which is a gun friendly state, when I launch in Chicago thou I`m sure Id be going away in handcuffs, question is how far offshore does Chicago Police have jurisdiction.
Illinois is the worst for gun control, City of Chicago and KING Dailey ruins it for everyone
ICDEDPPL is offline  
Old 01-16-2011, 10:06 AM
  #9  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 11,081
Received 437 Likes on 242 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
I`m mostly on the Indiana side, which is a gun friendly state, when I launch in Chicago thou I`m sure Id be going away in handcuffs, question is how far offshore does Chicago Police have jurisdiction.
Illinois is the worst for gun control, City of Chicago and KING Dailey ruins it for everyone
Yeah but the state is crime free now right?..................NOT
Jupiter Sunsation is offline  
Old 01-16-2011, 11:59 AM
  #10  
CNC
Registered
 
CNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ludington, Mi.
Posts: 572
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
I`m mostly on the Indiana side, which is a gun friendly state, when I launch in Chicago thou I`m sure Id be going away in handcuffs, question is how far offshore does Chicago Police have jurisdiction.
Illinois is the worst for gun control, City of Chicago and KING Dailey ruins it for everyone
I wonder how far out into the lake city and state jurisdiction goes?
CNC is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.