Notices

Luxury Superboat?

Old 01-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any high performance boats that run on "skis" as in a hydrofoil? Once on top of the water it should run quite well in many types of water conditions due to the hull being suspended. The main problem I see with hydrofoils is water depth for docking unless they are retractable.

To me an ideal boat would have a similar drive to that of a locomotive. Diesel engine for generating electricity to power 1 or 2 electric engines. I know the diesels weight is always a factor in boats but with a diesel/electric hybrid the diesel could be placed anywhere.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ExoticDesign
Greetings,

I am a college student that has been given the opportunity to work on a design project. The idea is to combine what we enjoy about fast, beautiful racing boats with a sense of luxury for personal enjoyment. Being that this is a purely conceptual idea I was hoping I could get some insight on what things I could focus on to help further back my story of my design. If you would be so kind, don't hesitate to mention even the simplest thoughts, due to my very small background on the topic. Im interested in ideal sizes, propulsion system, hull shapes and etc. Of course as well as how we can improve the "green" aspects of it, and possibly how to make them quieter. Thanks in advanced for your help.

-Matt
Did someone say QUIETER? We like it LOUD.

But anyway, nice idea and go check out Magnum Marine. Luxury mixed with performance.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MiniHawk

But anyway, nice idea and go check out Magnum Marine. Luxury mixed with performance.
That seems to be the issue, if you are going to spend money on it, your not going to pay even more to make it less fun. Sigh
Old 01-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

52 Outerlimits, Twin FPT 560's, ASD 8's + 85 MPH and pure luxury.
Attached Thumbnails Luxury Superboat?-img_8362%2520copy.jpg  
Old 01-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MiniHawk

MiniHawk

Go check out the bilge section and respond......or see ya later.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Registered

Default Sketches

I did some sketches just to get myself familiar with drawing these beasts. These aren't based on any certain manufacturer, company or class of boat just yet. Hope you enjoy. Thanks everyone for the valuable input!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Registered

I noticed a lot of different boat manufactures use different engines. Is there any specific brands/types performance boats in the 45-50' range use? I am trying to put together a benchmark of the different options the can have and explore the different types of propulsion.

1. Whats most efficient?
2. Whats most common?
3. Whats currently becoming a trend/explored?

Also what is the gas mileage "ballpark" for these based on the type and tank size?
Old 01-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Registered

those sketches are bad azz, nice work!
Old 01-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

Amazed that it took 24 posts before someone mentioned the King of this category.....MAGNUM MARINE.

They have been years ahead of everyone else, in this big boat luxury and speed category, running diesels with surface drives.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
gonna hafta be a big diesel boat for sure if you want (reasonable) speed and luxery, the best of both worlds and in the 45 to 50 foot range. As far a greening it up thats a tough bill to fill on large performance boats, along with focusing on greening up the function you might green up the build process as well. There are more environmentally friendly methods these days, infusion and maybe some eco friendly resins are a start. In the build process you'll need to be as efficient as possible and have very little waste. Epoxy systems are also very eco friendly when compared to any ester system.

quick search found this but i will look into it further.
http://www.castingabout.co.uk/www.ca...co-Resins.html
Thanks! This is very helpful when it comes to the construction aspects of the boat. Is there any new materials or modern construction methods currently being used in the market? I.e kevlar,carbon fiber, or polymers? Especial in the light weight/green category?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.