Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Luxury Superboat? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/245858-luxury-superboat.html)

ExoticDesign 01-17-2011 06:24 PM

Luxury Superboat?

Greetings,

I am a college student that has been given the opportunity to work on a design project. The idea is to combine what we enjoy about fast, beautiful racing boats with a sense of luxury for personal enjoyment. Being that this is a purely conceptual idea I was hoping I could get some insight on what things I could focus on to help further back my story of my design. If you would be so kind, don't hesitate to mention even the simplest thoughts, due to my very small background on the topic. Im interested in ideal sizes, propulsion system, hull shapes and etc. Of course as well as how we can improve the "green" aspects of it, and possibly how to make them quieter. Thanks in advanced for your help.

-Matt

sy goldberg 01-17-2011 06:34 PM

Possible Answer

Check out the several versions of the SUNSEEKER SUPERHAWK.

Smarty 01-17-2011 06:42 PM

Some questions regarding your assigment.
1. What is the range of your prosposed design in size (how feet long)?
2. Unlimited Budget?
3. Purpose of the vessel?
4. Optimum speed?

For the purposes of going very fast the catamaran design is best, and there are some luxury cats out there that go very fast such as Statement Marine's offering (Skater, Nortech, Outerlimits also make catarmarans and are nice choices):

http://www.statementmarine.com/

If you are looking for not so fast, but fast for its class in the luxury yacht design I like Lazzara (not a catamaran but an excellent designer &builder):

http://www.lazzarayachts.com/

or if you want yo really get some ideas of fast and CAD design go to the Mystic site:

http://www.mysticpowerboats.com/

Good luck with your project.

ExoticDesign 01-17-2011 06:44 PM

Thanks

Thanks a lot, although those are more in the yacht category. I was looking more into the hi-performance boats, but with slightly less thump and a little more class? Please excuse my poor description I am more of a car guy and lack knowledge in the boating realm. The nor-tech boats are kind of the style I am looking for, just more "green" and a little less "race-like"

glassdave 01-17-2011 06:51 PM

gonna hafta be a big diesel boat for sure if you want (reasonable) speed and luxery, the best of both worlds and in the 45 to 50 foot range. As far a greening it up thats a tough bill to fill on large performance boats, along with focusing on greening up the function you might green up the build process as well. There are more environmentally friendly methods these days, infusion and maybe some eco friendly resins are a start. In the build process you'll need to be as efficient as possible and have very little waste. Epoxy systems are also very eco friendly when compared to any ester system.

quick search found this but i will look into it further.
http://www.castingabout.co.uk/www.ca...co-Resins.html

AB From Windsor 01-17-2011 06:53 PM

If I were looking for a luxury speed boat, these are the things I would want, a large washroom with shower, air conditioning and heat, nice master bed and the seating in the cabin could also be a pull out bed for guest, large cockpit area, engines would be twin 525 Merc's or diesel. Propulsion would be a surface drive. A 48 ft. Fountain Cruiser would be pretty close to what I would be thinking of or a 43 ft. F1 Sunsation or an Outer Limits around the same size as the others. The boat would have to have a rumble from the engines. Hope this helps and good luck.

lightning jet 01-17-2011 06:58 PM

Without a working flux capacitor the green part is still a few years out.

Good luck with your research the previous mentioned are leaders in the industry.

Smarty 01-17-2011 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ExoticDesign (Post 3299843)
Thanks a lot, although those are more in the yacht category. I was looking more into the hi-performance boats, but with slightly less thump and a little more class? Please excuse my poor description I am more of a car guy and lack knowledge in the boating realm. The nor-tech boats are kind of the style I am looking for, just more "green" and a little less "race-like"

Formula Powerboats makes a wide range of boats and would be an excellent starting point for your research (a picture of a Formula boat):

http://www.formulaboats.com/

The staples of this type of website are Cigarette, Skater, Fountain, Nortech, Outerlimits, and there are many others. As far as green in the go-fast category, I am not sure how to advise you, with respect to fuel cell technology, solar, and or hybrid power design in our type of boats, that would negate optimum performance.

There are many knowledgable people on this site who will help you, once they read this thread. This is truly a very helpful and informative website.

ExoticDesign 01-17-2011 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 3299841)
Some questions regarding your assigment.
1. What is the range of your prosposed design in size (how feet long)?
2. Unlimited Budget?
3. Purpose of the vessel?
4. Optimum speed?

For the purposes of going very fast the catamaran design is best, and there are some luxury cats out there that go very fast such as Statement Marine's offering (Skater, Nortech, Outerlimits also make catarmarans and are nice choices):

http://www.statementmarine.com/

If you are looking for not so fast, but fast for its class in the luxury yacht design I like Lazzara (not a catamaran but an excellent designer &builder):

http://www.lazzarayachts.com/

or if you want yo really get some ideas of fast and CAD design go to the Mystic site:

http://www.mysticpowerboats.com/

Good luck with your project.

Size- Upwards in the 50' or plus range, I understand steering and such would be compromised as you go out of the norm but I would like to focus on the "visual proportions" here. Example: How sports cars are lower to the ground with smaller front windshields. It gives the vehicle a sense of motion and speed.

Budget- Being that this is purely conceptual and mainly a "styling exercise" I would have to say the budget would be unlimited. I just need to be able to support why I chose to make certain features the way the were because It should still be fairly realistic project.

Purpose - Well the idea was to design sexy, sleek hi- performance boat the utilizes modern technologies to reduce emissions and "noise pollution". Beyond that I would like to try to justify how a hi performance boat in this category could be beneficial in the market if possible.

Speed- Based on what I have already stated what would be a good target speed? I think I need to do some research on the propulsion system before I can go ahead with this in any form. Is it possible to generate enough hp with an electric motor to be at performance speeds. 120-150 mph range?

Thanks a lot for your help, as I said before I have very little knowledge of watercrafts so thanks for trying to help out.

Thebros 01-17-2011 07:06 PM

look at the 50 hustler if you want bigger the 80 foot nortek

ExoticDesign 01-17-2011 07:16 PM

Background

I am going to give a little more information about myself to help understand what I am try to achieve.
I am an Industrial designer by trade. I have worked in the agricultural industry and in the Semi-truck interior design industry on previous internships. The way I tackle projects is I begin with research, then move on to sketching and rendering concepts. After I have reached a design I like I then move on to CAD where I sculpt in 3d. Usually after this I go on to getting the major parts of the model CNC milled or rapid prototyped I sand/paint or use clay to finish off the design in a scale model. Usually 1/5 or 1/8 scale. Hope this helps, so far you have all been great!

mikebrls 01-17-2011 07:17 PM

just a thought and maybe in the future some day this mite be possible .
how about 2 light weight electric motor's that run off a single diesel generator " this would be a green idea "
of course the electric motor's will need to push around 1500 lbs + TQ and run at 6ooo rpm's + :) to push something in the 45 to 50 foot range with some speed .
iv herd that electric motor's have a lot of TQ and can also push high rpm's , the hard part is making them light .
I think some of the big cruise ship's run this type of set up to be more efficient " green "

mike

GLH 01-17-2011 07:19 PM

http://www.pershing-yacht.com/home.php?lang=eng

http://models.ferrettigroup.com/Uplo.../6/B2C_831.jpg

GLH 01-17-2011 07:21 PM

Green aspect?

Here you go...

http://flushrush.com/wp-content/uplo...ilboat_004.jpg

Smarty 01-17-2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ExoticDesign (Post 3299854)
Size- Upwards in the 50' or plus range, I understand steering and such would be compromised as you go out of the norm but I would like to focus on the "visual proportions" here. Example: How sports cars are lower to the ground with smaller front windshields. It gives the vehicle a sense of motion and speed.

Budget- Being that this is purely conceptual and mainly a "styling exercise" I would have to say the budget would be unlimited. I just need to be able to support why I chose to make certain features the way the were because It should still be fairly realistic project.

Purpose - Well the idea was to design sexy, sleek hi- performance boat the utilizes modern technologies to reduce emissions and "noise pollution". Beyond that I would like to try to justify how a hi performance boat in this category could be beneficial in the market if possible.

Speed- Based on what I have already stated what would be a good target speed? I think I need to do some research on the propulsion system before I can go ahead with this in any form. Is it possible to generate enough hp with an electric motor to be at performance speeds. 120-150 mph range?

Thanks a lot for your help, as I said before I have very little knowledge of watercrafts so thanks for trying to help out.

You have one tough project if those are the design parameters. Go to the websites get your ideas and then call the manufacturers, tell them what you are doing, and I feel fairly confident that if they have a minute to spare each manufacturer will talk with you and guide you in what is practical from the design/ build, and market aspect. And what the future holds.

I do not think an electrical engine would be practical for your design, but maybe someone on this site can help with that question. To go 120-150 mph in a 50' catarmaran, and add luxury to that boat, meaning adding weight to it, that will take a significant amount of horsepower (at least 1100+/- hp to go 120 mph, probably more horsepower per motor, two motors required reciprocating engines/piston power). Or better yet, go turbine engines which are done, and are efficient but expensive initially (costly $$$).

With respect to technology, the IPS or Pod drives will not get you above 50 mph, but with the Sky-Hook technology (it allows for a boat/vessel to hold its position with wind and current trying to push a boat, this is a significant plus for yacht owners) it is a great advancement in ease of operation (user friendly), and they require less fuel than V-drives (shaft propulsion with rudder and propeller), if you want to cut your optimum speed in half+.

Call Nortech, Mystic, Outerlimits, Statement Marine, and Skater they would be a good place to get ideas for your 120+ mph 50' catamaran. Each manufacturer produces a catamaran in that size range and easily capable of that speed. With respect to luxury and green design, ask each builder of your design intentions and you will get feedback.

ExoticDesign 01-17-2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by mikebrls (Post 3299865)
just a thought and maybe in the future some day this mite be possible .
how about 2 light weight electric motor's that run off a single diesel generator " this would be a green idea "
of course the electric motor's will need to push around 1500 lbs + TQ and run at 6ooo rpm's + :) to push something in the 45 to 50 foot range with some speed .
iv herd that electric motor's have a lot of TQ and can also push high rpm's , the hard part is making them light .
I think some of the big cruise ship's run this type of set up to be more efficient " green "

mike

It seems possible I know that there is new hybrid electric/diesel motors being placed in semi-trucks now. The electric motor can actually take the rig from 0-60 on pure electricity, then diesel kicks in at 60+ for cruise speeds. Though it does weigh more and its a packaging nightmare from an engineering standpoint.

ExoticDesign 01-17-2011 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Smarty (Post 3299868)
You have one tough project if those are the design parameters. Go to the websites get your ideas and then call the manufactures, tell them what you are doing, and I feel fairly confident that if they have a minute to spare each manufacturer will talk with you and guide you in what is practical from the design build, and market aspect. And what the futue holds.

I do not think an electrical engine qwould be practical for your design, but maybe someone on this site can help with that question. To go 120-150 mph in a 50' catarmaran, and add luxury, meaning weight to it, that will take a significant amount of horsepower (at least 1100+/- hp to go 120 mph, probably more horsepower per motor, two motors required reciprocating engines/pistoon power). Or go turbine engines whcih are done, and are efficient (costly $$$).

With respect to technology, the IPS or Pod drives will not get you above 50 mph, but with the Sky-Hook technology (it allows for a boat/vessel to hold its position with wind and current trying to push a boat, this is a significant plus for yacht owners) it is a great advancement in ease of operation (user friendly), and they require less fuel than V-drives (shaft propulsion with rudder and propeller).

Call Nortech, Mystic, Outerlimits, Statement Marine, and Skater they would be a good place to get ideas for your 120+ mph 50' catamaran. Each manufacturer produces a catamaran in that size range and easily capable of that speed. With respect to luxury and green design, ask each builder of your design intentions and you will get feedback.

The luxury aspect that I have mentioned doesn't necessarily mean having a sleeper cab with all the amenities, just not the barebones looks of hardtop racers, or even open-top for that matter.

Thanks!

ExoticDesign 01-17-2011 07:30 PM

Nor-tech 5000 series is very appealing.

Wildman_grafix 01-17-2011 09:40 PM

There are some cruisers out that use a Diesel to power electric motors.

That isn't a performance application.

Steri (my spelling might be off) out of australia makes a compact Diesel electric motor and drive.

There is a company playing with them in a cat with solor and wind generators. Again not a performance application but a hybrid.

Do a google search on DSe island pilot.

F1-00 Racing 01-17-2011 09:53 PM

Didnt Miss Geico use "Bio-Diesel" in their record run from Annapolis to Baltimore in their turbines? Thats about as green as I can think of w/o going to the blow boat side

Tom A. 01-18-2011 07:55 AM

Having an Industrial Design background myself and dabbling in boat design and hydrodynamic engineering, I can tell you it is much harder to make a performance boat green than a vehicle on wheels. The friction and tension created by water vs. a rolling object are two way different things. It takes very little hp and torque to maintain a rolling object moving once you initiate it vs. something on the water.
That said, I would look at crossing the Formula 40ss with its retractable hard top and wide open cockpit with the length and power of the Nor-Tech 5000V. I would also find a way other than canvas to enclose the outside cockpit space in bad weather to utilize it better. All areas must be heated and cooled. Also, radar, GPS, Trac-vision and all electronic goodies must be included.
Bio-diesel/diesel would probably be the way to go with surface drives or pod drives and bow and stern thrusters.
Lastly, it should have a swim platform that lowers into the water and has the capability of holding a small tender or Ski-Doo.
Instead of a V bottom, a cat will create a faster boat with less friction but it has limitations on the useable cabin space.

Wow! I need to talk to Terry or Skip with this one.

RunninHotRacing163.1 01-18-2011 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by ExoticDesign (Post 3299875)

+ 100:drink:

poiuy10 01-18-2011 09:32 AM

already done for ya, try this website..... guess you could add a stipper pole, for class. :party-smiley-020:

http://www.wally.com/jumpch.asp?idChannel=44

Stormrider 01-18-2011 09:42 AM

Any big magnum?

hallj 01-18-2011 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Stormrider (Post 3300258)
Any big magnum?

Nail on the head!

Jeff

HIGH LIFE 01-18-2011 12:18 PM

Check out this web site... www.MagnumMarine.com "HIGH LIFE"

Catmando 01-18-2011 12:30 PM

If I was a boatbuilder I would definitely look into the eco-resin. And OP, how big do you want to go...;

http://www.superyachts.com/motor-yacht-2659/ermis2.htm

Motor Yacht Ermis2
Luxury motor yacht Ermis2 was built in 2007 by New Zealand shipyard McMullen & Wing and represents an innovative and fast-moving superyacht. With a GRP hull and superstructure, she features interior and exterior design by Humphreys Yacht Design. This triple waterjet propulsion yacht measures 37.8 metres and can accommodate up to eight guests.

Designed by Rob Humphreys in the United Kingdom with composite engineering by High Modulus, this high speed motor yacht is constructed using the VIP (Vacuum Infusion Process) in Carbon- fibre to obtain an ultra-lightweight construction able to withstand the extreme loadings of up to 2.2G while travelling at over 55 knots.

The M&W design team embarked upon a program to critically analyse every component of the vessel to save weight; the vacuum infusion process of Carbon-fibre/Kevlar/Foam composite was utilized in the building of hull and superstructure, Titanium where possible for deck fittings and hand rails, and light weight veneered foam panels for interior joinery, all to Germanischer Lloyds Class and MCA.

Fitted with a generous array of navigation and communications systems, Ermis2 is a state of the art vessel, complimented with an interior that is streamlined and light. Paint-treated ash and clear varnish maple combine with contemporary furnishings to create a modern nautical language. She was the winner of the “Best Power Yacht, 24-40 metres” category at the 2008 International Superyacht Society Design and Leadership Awards.

Motor yacht Ermis2 has a strong and serious profile that doesn’t look unlike a workboat, based on a brief by the owner that being seaworthy was her main priority. The interior mirrors this profile but carries a sense of comfort with its use of lighter woods and yellow, tan and blue leathers. Amongst her four cabins are an indulgent master stateroom; one double cabin; and two twin cabins.

Luxury yacht Ermis2 is powered by three MTU16V 4000 M90 series engines that allow her to reach a maximum speed of 57 knots. She can achieve a range of 2,300 nautical miles while cruising at a speed of 30 knots.

(BTW the engines make 3650hp each, which I assume is why jet propulsion was used instead of shaft drive units).

Good luck on your quest and keep us posted with your drawings.

Bobthebuilder 01-18-2011 12:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ExoticDesign (Post 3299875)

I agree. LOL I love mine. Yanmar diesel power. Fuel efficient. Arneson drives. Glass cockpit. Well appointed cabin. It is very quiet and normal conversations can be carried on while underway. Not sure if modifications are required to burn bio diesel or not? I must ask about that. This boat meets many of the criteria you describe.
I know there is at least one Vee that has turbine power.
Bob

olli 01-18-2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Stormrider (Post 3300258)
Any big magnum?

:drink:

Reminds me of an older Magnum ad. The text was:

"There are two ways to get a 70' yacht to do 80mph:
1. Commision a naval architect, plunk down millions of $, wait three years and hope it floats.
2. Call us "

A.O. Razor 01-18-2011 04:28 PM

Have you seen the 80' Nortech Roadster?

In my book, that is a blend of performance and luxury.

prostock85 01-18-2011 04:51 PM

Are there any high performance boats that run on "skis" as in a hydrofoil? Once on top of the water it should run quite well in many types of water conditions due to the hull being suspended. The main problem I see with hydrofoils is water depth for docking unless they are retractable.

To me an ideal boat would have a similar drive to that of a locomotive. Diesel engine for generating electricity to power 1 or 2 electric engines. I know the diesels weight is always a factor in boats but with a diesel/electric hybrid the diesel could be placed anywhere.

MiniHawk 01-18-2011 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ExoticDesign (Post 3299826)
Greetings,

I am a college student that has been given the opportunity to work on a design project. The idea is to combine what we enjoy about fast, beautiful racing boats with a sense of luxury for personal enjoyment. Being that this is a purely conceptual idea I was hoping I could get some insight on what things I could focus on to help further back my story of my design. If you would be so kind, don't hesitate to mention even the simplest thoughts, due to my very small background on the topic. Im interested in ideal sizes, propulsion system, hull shapes and etc. Of course as well as how we can improve the "green" aspects of it, and possibly how to make them quieter. Thanks in advanced for your help.

-Matt

Did someone say QUIETER?:eek: We like it LOUD.

But anyway, nice idea and go check out Magnum Marine. Luxury mixed with performance.

ExoticDesign 01-18-2011 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by MiniHawk (Post 3300683)

But anyway, nice idea and go check out Magnum Marine. Luxury mixed with performance.

That seems to be the issue, if you are going to spend money on it, your not going to pay even more to make it less fun. Sigh

animalhouse 01-18-2011 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
52 Outerlimits, Twin FPT 560's, ASD 8's + 85 MPH and pure luxury.

PhantomChaos 01-18-2011 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by MiniHawk (Post 3300683)

MiniHawk

Go check out the bilge section and respond......or see ya later.

ExoticDesign 01-18-2011 10:37 PM

Sketches

I did some sketches just to get myself familiar with drawing these beasts. These aren't based on any certain manufacturer, company or class of boat just yet. Hope you enjoy. Thanks everyone for the valuable input!

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/...tsketches1.jpg

ExoticDesign 01-19-2011 03:19 PM

I noticed a lot of different boat manufactures use different engines. Is there any specific brands/types performance boats in the 45-50' range use? I am trying to put together a benchmark of the different options the can have and explore the different types of propulsion.

1. Whats most efficient?
2. Whats most common?
3. Whats currently becoming a trend/explored?

Also what is the gas mileage "ballpark" for these based on the type and tank size?

dkwestern 01-19-2011 03:25 PM

those sketches are bad azz, nice work!

Top Banana 01-19-2011 04:18 PM

Amazed that it took 24 posts before someone mentioned the King of this category.....MAGNUM MARINE.

They have been years ahead of everyone else, in this big boat luxury and speed category, running diesels with surface drives.

ExoticDesign 01-19-2011 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 3299844)
gonna hafta be a big diesel boat for sure if you want (reasonable) speed and luxery, the best of both worlds and in the 45 to 50 foot range. As far a greening it up thats a tough bill to fill on large performance boats, along with focusing on greening up the function you might green up the build process as well. There are more environmentally friendly methods these days, infusion and maybe some eco friendly resins are a start. In the build process you'll need to be as efficient as possible and have very little waste. Epoxy systems are also very eco friendly when compared to any ester system.

quick search found this but i will look into it further.
http://www.castingabout.co.uk/www.ca...co-Resins.html

Thanks! This is very helpful when it comes to the construction aspects of the boat. Is there any new materials or modern construction methods currently being used in the market? I.e kevlar,carbon fiber, or polymers? Especial in the light weight/green category?