Like Tree0Likes

Getting closer to paint!

Reply
Old 01-20-2011, 10:15 AM
  #11
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Posts: 3,881
Default

I do a lot of custom paintwork, not on boats but smaller stuff. I love House of Kolor, candies, pearls, colors and specialty paint but always use PPG for everything else. Not real found of there clears.

Every time I try another clear I end up going back to DCU2021. I have tried the Omni line because everyone seems to think stuff should be cheap now (My paint prices have increased this year about 25% to 30%), but it just isn’t the same. The one difference is I am usually trying to bury paint edges, airbrush, and artwork so I need a high solids clear.

Omni doesn’t look to bad, seems to spray well but is a bit thin. I really think you get what you pay for, another question you need to ask yourself is how long do you want it to look good?
Wildman_grafix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:14 PM
  #12
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
36Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids Iowa, LOTO, Cape Coral Fl.
My Boats: Formula 37SS, 28 Skater 300x's 2400 Bay Ranger, 20' Cigarette, 18' Charger
Posts: 1,013
Default

I was going to today but ran out of time. I will check into the PPG line tomorrow. I appreciate all of the input.
36Tango is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:06 PM
  #13
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Plainville/Old Lyme, CT Boca Raton, FL
My Boats: 37 Active thunder 700/NXT / 40 Intrepid Trip 350 Yammy's
Posts: 5,457
Default

Matrix is ppg. Just about a third of the price. They even have their own house of kolors stuff. Do some research and you will be surprised. Even has the same numbers on the tints. Anything you can get in ppg you can get in matrix but most people wont tell you that cause they want you to buy their expensive stuff.
302Sport is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:02 PM
  #14
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: harrison twp. mi
My Boats: 37 outerlimits
Posts: 156
Default

matrix is a good way to go to save sum bucks, sprays just like DBC, and they have a clear like 2021, MS-20, we use it often.
remember the color you speak of is a tricoat, I would try to find a similar color in a 2 stage if your on a budget. good luck with the project, and post some pics of it finished love to see um.
overlimits is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:05 PM
  #15
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Plainville/Old Lyme, CT Boca Raton, FL
My Boats: 37 Active thunder 700/NXT / 40 Intrepid Trip 350 Yammy's
Posts: 5,457
Default

I'm using the matrix equivelant of ppgs oh so orange. Paying about a quarter of ppgs list price. It is a tri stage with a orange base, Pearl, then clear
302Sport is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:18 PM
  #16
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
36Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids Iowa, LOTO, Cape Coral Fl.
My Boats: Formula 37SS, 28 Skater 300x's 2400 Bay Ranger, 20' Cigarette, 18' Charger
Posts: 1,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlimits View Post
matrix is a good way to go to save sum bucks, sprays just like DBC, and they have a clear like 2021, MS-20, we use it often.
remember the color you speak of is a tricoat, I would try to find a similar color in a 2 stage if your on a budget. good luck with the project, and post some pics of it finished love to see um.
I think that it is just a base clear and is not a tri coat. Where do you buy Matrix?
36Tango is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 PM
  #17
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: CORONA, CA
My Boats: 2008 28' CAT LIGHTNING CUSTOM BOAT
Posts: 417
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix View Post
I do a lot of custom paintwork, not on boats but smaller stuff. I love House of Kolor, candies, pearls, colors and specialty paint but always use PPG for everything else. Not real found of there clears.

Every time I try another clear I end up going back to DCU2021. I have tried the Omni line because everyone seems to think stuff should be cheap now (My paint prices have increased this year about 25% to 30%), but it just isnít the same. The one difference is I am usually trying to bury paint edges, airbrush, and artwork so I need a high solids clear.

Omni doesnít look to bad, seems to spray well but is a bit thin. I really think you get what you pay for, another question you need to ask yourself is how long do you want it to look good?
I also do custom work on show bikes and cars and I love HOK. Everyone is right Matrix is really good also. Can't wait to see some pics. I would love to paint my boat, but by myself it would probably take me a year the way I want it. Just curious, how much does it cost to paint a boat?? How much paint and clear does it take?
Wet-N-Wild is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:55 PM
  #18
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
glassdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: toledo oh
My Boats: Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum
Posts: 12,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36Tango View Post
I think that it is just a base clear and is not a tri coat. Where do you buy Matrix?
Synergy Green is a tri coat and is very difficult to repair, it also depends what the base is in the tricoat system as to how tough a repair is. I have had good sucess with GM (Cadillacs) pearls and reds as far as fixing them but it was because the base was very close to the final color anyway. There may be a two stage base/clear variant for Synergy though.
__________________
Throttles- Cleveland Construction 377 Talon
08 OPA Class 1 National Champion
08 Class 1 Geico Triple Crown Champion
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
glassdave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:10 PM
  #19
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
My Boats: Eliminator
Posts: 2,228
Smile

Just make sure its done for desert storm.... oh yah!
PokerRun388 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:27 PM
  #20
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
36Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids Iowa, LOTO, Cape Coral Fl.
My Boats: Formula 37SS, 28 Skater 300x's 2400 Bay Ranger, 20' Cigarette, 18' Charger
Posts: 1,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdave View Post
Synergy Green is a tri coat and is very difficult to repair, it also depends what the base is in the tricoat system as to how tough a repair is. I have had good sucess with GM (Cadillacs) pearls and reds as far as fixing them but it was because the base was very close to the final color anyway. There may be a two stage base/clear variant for Synergy though.
Huh, I was thinking that it was just a base and clear. Like I say, I am not matching anything, so there is no sense in making it too complicated. A base/clear is fine, I just need to find one in the color palate that is close to synergy green. Unfortunately I was in Florida last week on business so this week has been too hectic to dig too deep. I will try to find a local PPG dealer tomorrow.

The prep work continues!
36Tango is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.