Like Tree0Likes

Race to Pleasure

Old 01-21-2011, 11:05 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

My Boats: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD

Quit F'n around, get it and just send it to nortech to get'er done right!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Racer
Racer

My Boats: 34 Sea Ray Sedan Bridge, 13.5 RD Inflatable Cat, (**ft, ********) Top Secret

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraft240 View Post
Quick question guys. Whats approximate cost of removing the top off a canopy and turning a 3 seater to a 4/5 seater. Realistically and economically. I was ballparking 3,000-4,000 conservatively. I don't see much work to do. Cut off top, seal the cut, add a seat. Thinking that is a naive train of thought though. Dan (fountainicbm) I already know what you think buddy!! 35-38ft cat. Just exploring options.
I think what a few people are saying is that link to SOS is a race to pleasure boat that I'm doing now.

It's not to bad as long as you have the time, room and know-how to do it yourself.

I would also say the price will be directly tied into how you want the boat to look. Show quality/looks will cost more than race quality/looks .. lol
Old 01-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

To make it look like it was never a race boat is EXPENSIVE, (I just went through this). If you just want the top gone and more seats might not be too bad, but it's hard to say without looking at the boat or knowing what could be reused. In my case I did not end up using anything other than the hull.
I did not do the glass work (it was done by the factory). So you may be able to save some money if you plan on doing the conversion yourself.
At one point I had considered keeping it closed and adding more seats. For my application it was still a good bit of work to make a 2 seater into a 4 seater. If you have the chance to ride in a closed boat and are comfortable with the sound and visiblilty limits that may be the way to go if your looking at cost (if all you need to do is add seats).

Good Luck
Old 01-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum

What kind of boat are you looking at? As said there are a lot of factors at work here. Desired end result, current condition, amount of reusable canopy/deck, etc. Its possible to offset a good part of the cost, I work with a lot of owners that choose to do the grunt work themselves and have tech stuff done by myself or another professional.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Registered

Not looking to make a race into full pleasure. It's the old stylin boat. Just looking into some options. Simply looking to cut the canopy and add 1 seat. Currently a 3 seater. I might go look at it and put an offer, we'll see. For 10k it might not be worth it.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Registered

Not looking to make a race into full pleasure. It's the old stylin boat. Just looking into some options. Simply looking to cut the canopy and add 1 seat. Currently a 3 seater. I might go look at it and put an offer, we'll see. For 10k it might not be worth it.