Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Check out the latest issue of Powerboat Magazine - You wont be disappointed! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/246532-check-out-latest-issue-powerboat-magazine-you-wont-disappointed.html)

capt2130 02-10-2011 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 3321100)
Mine came today as well...Looking forward to checking it out later.

+1 same here

himself 02-10-2011 08:04 PM

still waiting.....

I have yet to receive the latest issue, OR the one before that!! Also really appreciate when you call to see if maybe the subscription ran out they tell you it "should" be there.... :kiss:

fastoys 02-10-2011 08:28 PM

def improving again! I think its hard to make everyone happy. I do agree yhat there should be comparison test on props ect just like the car mags do. The project articles is a good idea also.I never hear they hate a boat on a boat test when we all know there is some junk out there!

ar15meister 02-11-2011 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by omerta one (Post 3318288)
No mag yet for me either.

Nothing for me yet up in the great white north.

redbud35 02-11-2011 08:35 AM

I really thought I had something when I pulled it out of the mailbox. Till I realized half the mag was a towing guide. What a joke.

ElimiNordic 02-11-2011 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by redbud35 (Post 3321567)
I really thought I had something when I pulled it out of the mailbox. Till I realized half the mag was a towing guide. What a joke.

It just goes to show you can't please all the people all the time, as I rather ejoyed the little towing guide. Oh well!!!!:lolhit:

Cavanti53 02-11-2011 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio (Post 3320772)
There was a lot racing coverage in the last issue. Actually, there was a lot of racing coverage in the last two issues.

Racing is a tough one. It is what people call a cost center—race coverage brings in nothing and costs a fortune. Yet something lke 75 percent of Powerboat readers say they want offshore racing coverage. (As for the other forms of racing the magazine covers, their draw is significantly lower, hence they get significantly less coverage.) So offshore race coverage is what magazine folks like to call a "reader service" as opposed to a revenue generator.

The key, as everyone here seems to agree, is striking a balance. Trust me, it's a daily discussion and I like to think we're making headway. But it's never completely done.

Matt, I thinks it's great that you are taking the time to read these and write back! I agree with most of these responses and I do think it's getting better although 65+ pages is still too small. Readers rides were always a cool Hot Boat feature. I drove to Books-A-Million and Barnes & Nobles and No Powerboat yet here in FL. I guess I will subscribe again. There are some very cool stories out there right now. Skater 388 SLW, Nortech 52, MTI's w/ 1350's, Outerlimits Cat with Big Whipples, DCB M31 1350's(173mph) and M35 with
1350's , and the M35 with Teague 1350's. A lot happening that's new and exciting right now for sure....

ElimiNordic 02-12-2011 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Cavanti53 (Post 3322171)
Matt, I thinks it's great that you are taking the time to read these and write back! I agree with most of these responses and I do think it's getting better although 65+ pages is still too small. Readers rides were always a cool Hot Boat feature. I drove to Books-A-Million and Barnes & Nobles and No Powerboat yet here in FL. I guess I will subscribe again. There are some very cool stories out there right now. Skater 388 SLW, Nortech 52, MTI's w/ 1350's, Outerlimits Cat with Big Whipples, DCB M31 1350's(173mph) and M35 with
1350's , and the M35 with Teague 1350's. A lot happening that's new and exciting right now for sure....

Matt, I also think it is good sign you read this forum and care about our ideas. Thanks for taking the time!

McGary911 02-12-2011 07:53 AM

I got mine a few days ago, and was pretty excited by how thick it was. Then I opened it, and found that a bunch of that thickness was made by a special towing insert\advertising special. Still was happy to get the new issue, just as I always am. Lots of racing coverage in this one.

Matt. When you said "Racing is a tough one. It is what people call a cost center—race coverage brings in nothing and costs a fortune. "

Wouldn't anything that's not selling an ad bring in nothing? When you test a new boat, you're not bringing in direct revenue.

Of course neither of these things "brings in nothing", they're just not as easily quantifiable as selling a full page ad to Formula. They bring you readers who dictate your ad rates. I think it's safe to say that there are a bunch of readers who wouldn't subscribe if there was no racing coverage.

Every time my subscription nears it's end, I think about not reupping, but always do, because I realize how much I'd miss it.

Jassman 02-12-2011 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by TEAMBAJA (Post 3317989)
I got my first issue of Powerboat last week. Im glad I finally resubscribed. Nice cheap alternative to staring at a computer screen to look at boats.

BTW, nice little piece on Terry Sobo.

just received my issue last night...Sobo's overrated:party-smiley-004:

Smarty 02-12-2011 08:22 AM

Just got it yesterday. It was better than previous month(s). The MTI is something else.

Nice write-up on Simmons Marine Racing, three world championships in one year. That boat must be the winningest V-bottom in offshore racing for the past ten years.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-12-2011 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by redbud35 (Post 3321567)

+1 :drink:

Downtown42 02-12-2011 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1 (Post 3322400)
+1 :drink:

Phantom C must be pleased this morning with your "professional forum quoting" that has improved :lolhit::angry-smiley-044::doggy:

bimini run 02-12-2011 06:43 PM

Ahhhh, I remember the good old days when Bob Nordskog was publisher/test driver/chief bottle washer. I haven't subscribed in years, mainly because I was sick of reading about Bayliners and Regals. Then I just didn't have the time. And reading these posts, I'm shocked - they only publish every other month? Major bummer. And I agree, at least in the old days, they did a nice mix of crazy expensive high perf boats and boats the rest of us could afford, like Baja, Checkmate, etc. I still have the article that my Hammer was reviewed in. Miss the good old days.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-12-2011 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Downtown42 (Post 3322426)
Phantom C must be pleased this morning with your "professional forum quoting" that has improved :lolhit::angry-smiley-044::doggy:

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dont pizz off Chaos :kiss: