Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Check out the latest issue of Powerboat Magazine - You wont be disappointed! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/246532-check-out-latest-issue-powerboat-magazine-you-wont-disappointed.html)

thisistank 01-27-2011 06:32 PM

Check out the latest issue of Powerboat Magazine - You wont be disappointed!

3 Attachment(s)
If you get a chance, pick up the latest issue of powerboat magazine. I’ll even go out on a limb and suggest that those of you that have been less than pleased with PBM as of late may be swayed away from your lack luster reviews after perusing the pages. I must say, I’m pretty objective (even with the fact I write a Blog for them). I do realized the last few issues have suffered at the hands of the poor economy, just as the whole industry has. However, I’m extremely pleased with this issue and I believe you all will be too.

A few key features include cover boat; John Woodruff’s magnificent 48 MTI “Windship” - powered by the new Merc 1350 turbos and M8 drives (also see my Blog http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/tank-sears-blog/ for further on this amazing machine), “5 minutes” with Nor-Techs Terry Sobo, review of Kevin Schultes massive Peterbuilt tow rig which he tows his Zul powered T/S Top Gun, David Wood’s (Pier 57) new extreme poker run support truck (Beautiful cover photo courtesy of Cigarette’s Chad Braver), review of 13 must-attend poker runs for 2011, articles regarding Reggie Fountains departure for Fountain Powerboats and the rebirth of AMF Offshore Rigging, and huge coverage of the battle in Key West (2011 world champions) as well as being chalked full of awesome photographs and much more!

If you’re looking for a little something to pass the winter blues, check out the new issue of PBM. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed - and yes, I know that’s a bold statement for some of you but I just think if you love this sport/passion/lifestyle, you’ll love this issue.

Some teaser pics of John's boat...

Haley'sComet 01-27-2011 07:37 PM

I just picked up my copy today and this issue is awesome!

jmoore1225 01-27-2011 08:00 PM

I'm confused how it seems to hit the stands before people who have subscriptions get them...

Smitty 01-27-2011 08:42 PM

Hmmmm Subscriber for 25 plus years...don't have mine yet !!!

fireguy 01-27-2011 08:47 PM

That always frustrated me about subscriptions I had. They seem to hit newsstands first. i still dont have mine. Lookin forward to it though.
Thanx Tank

Haley'sComet 01-27-2011 09:37 PM

Hey...

I just looked at the cover of my issue and it is the February 2011 one.

On the cover is the Skater 30 they put the Ilmor Indy Drives in.

Sorry for the confusion,:drink: as I just grabbed it today (and haven't even had a chance to look thru it until now) when I was getting some stuff at West Marine.

I thought it was the latest issue!

OL40SVX 01-27-2011 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3309454)
If you get a chance, pick up the latest issue of powerboat magazine. I’ll even go out on a limb and suggest that those of you that have been less than pleased with PBM as of late may be swayed away from your lack luster reviews after perusing the pages. I must say, I’m pretty objective (even with the fact I write a Blog for them). I do realized the last few issues have suffered at the hands of the poor economy, just as the whole industry has. However, I’m extremely pleased with this issue and I believe you all will be too.

A few key features include cover boat; John Woodruff’s magnificent 48 MTI “Windship” - powered by the new Merc 1350 turbos and M8 drives (also see my Blog http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/tank-sears-blog/ for further on this amazing machine), “5 minutes” with Nor-Techs Terry Sobo, review of Kevin Schultes massive Peterbuilt tow rig which he tows his Zul powered T/S Top Gun, David Wood’s (Pier 57) new extreme poker run support truck (Beautiful cover photo courtesy of Cigarette’s Chad Braver), review of 13 must-attend poker runs for 2011, articles regarding Reggie Fountains departure for Fountain Powerboats and the rebirth of AMF Offshore Rigging, and huge coverage of the battle in Key West (2011 world champions) as well as being chalked full of awesome photographs and much more!

If you’re looking for a little something to pass the winter blues, check out the new issue of PBM. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed - and yes, I know that’s a bold statement for some of you but I just think if you love this sport/passion/lifestyle, you’ll love this issue.

Some teaser pics of John's boat...

Good stuff tank!

Rik 01-27-2011 09:44 PM

So is this issue more than 25 pages?

Catmando 01-27-2011 09:59 PM

Which month is it? The one I bought has the Ilmor Skater on the cover and it's the feb. issue.

frankenstein 01-27-2011 10:50 PM

I can't wait. It used to be awesome when I received them every month. That was a long time ago. I understand that times are tough, but I never have any idea when I'm going to receive my copy. As a subscriber, I used to receive mine before it hit the newsstands, that's either no longer the deal, or the edition you're talking about I received so long ago that I don't even remember it. I have no knowledge of what months they print an issue. Sometimes I get one, sometimes I don't. It is always a nice surprise though when I do get one, since it's been so long in which I have received one. Either way, I just keep paying. I'm trying to do my part to help support the economy.

thisistank 01-27-2011 11:41 PM

Yes Rik, you'll be happy to know it's in the high 80's regarding pages, more than it's been since the down turn in the economy.

And for those of you that are concerned it's on newstands before you got your subcriptions, this issue just shipped. It's not out on stands yet, I just picked up a copy from the head offices today. This issue has on the cover the beautiful 48 MTI "Windship" and the great photo Chad Braver took of Wood's new jaw dropping poker run support machine.

ItsPeanut 01-27-2011 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 3309569)
Hmmmm Subscriber for 25 plus years...don't have mine yet !!!

Havent received mine yet either. I guess Tank has the hook up.

johnlomant 01-28-2011 07:04 AM

I cancelled it after they cut down the issues and made them 25 pages.

rj45 01-28-2011 08:03 AM

Most of the mags I subscribe to send copies to the newsstands way before hand. I don't appreciate that. At the minimum, subscribers should get them no more than a day later. In reality, delivery time is often a week or so behind the newsstand. IMO, subscribers should get their copies a day or two before newsstands. That would be one of the perks/incentives for being (and staying) a subscriber.

Looking forward to this new issue, though.

redbud35 01-28-2011 08:38 AM

Mine shows late also.

314joey 01-28-2011 09:10 AM

Got mine last week, always nice reading.

dammmagnum 01-28-2011 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by redbud35 (Post 3309850)
Mine shows late also.

Gee,
I always thought that the U.S. Mail person was reading mine and that is why it was late. Sure looks like its been read by the time I get it

Thank you
Jim

FasterFaster 01-28-2011 02:26 PM

Great job on the blog, Tank! Enjoyed reading about your ride in frigid Sarasota. I can't wait to see that MTI at the Miami Boat Show! Until then, I'll just replay the dyno video on Merc Racing's blog and savor the sound.

(My PB isn't here yet, either.)

thisistank 01-28-2011 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by FasterFaster (Post 3310150)
Great job on the blog, Tank! Enjoyed reading about your ride in frigid Sarasota. I can't wait to see that MTI at the Miami Boat Show! Until then, I'll just replay the dyno video on Merc Racing's blog and savor the sound.

(My PB isn't here yet, either.)

Thanks brother! And yes, it was cooooooooooold!!!

Here's another sneak peak at John's insane ride and rig...If you see John and Nancy walking around say hi, they're great people.

And again, the issue that is on stands right now has the Skater on the cover...The issue with John Woodruff's MTI (pictured here) on the cover is shipping now. Shouldn't be on the stands yet and is enroute to all of you subscribers.

Jason Johnson 01-28-2011 05:08 PM

FYI, all Powerboat subscribers get their copies up to three weeks before they hit newsstands. And depending on how the subscriber copies are shipped from the printer, some areas of the country get the magazine sooner than others.

In any case, we truly appreciate all of our readers' support, and thank you Tank for the kind words. We do work really hard to produce a top-notch, well-edited and well-rounded magazine each and every time (even if they're smaller than they used to be).

And by the way, Tank lives in the same city where the Powerboat offices are located so he usually gets hot-off-the-press office copies.

-Jason Johnson
Senior Editor, Powerboat

VetteSteve 01-28-2011 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by dammmagnum (Post 3310021)
Gee,
I always thought that the U.S. Mail person was reading mine and that is why it was late. Sure looks like its been read by the time I get it

Thank you
Jim

I'm Guilty! During my 35 years delivering the US Mail I have paged through a few performance boat magazines.

jbraun2828 01-28-2011 08:28 PM

amazing what a little competition can do. A new mag out and now powerboat is back to 80 plus pages. I wish both of them the best and cant wait to get mine in the mail.

frankenstein 01-28-2011 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by jajo (Post 3310279)
FYI, all Powerboat subscribers get their copies up to three weeks before they hit newsstands. And depending on how the subscriber copies are shipped from the printer, some areas of the country get the magazine sooner than others.

In any case, we truly appreciate all of our readers' support, and thank you Tank for the kind words. We do work really hard to produce a top-notch, well-edited and well-rounded magazine each and every time (even if they're smaller than they used to be).

And by the way, Tank lives in the same city where the Powerboat offices are located so he usually gets hot-off-the-press office copies.

-Jason Johnson
Senior Editor, Powerboat

That's what I thought. Subscribers should get it first, if not it doesn't really make sense to subscribe. Thanks for clearing that up. I admire the fact that you have been able to hang in there while most of your competition couldn't

NASCAT 01-29-2011 07:20 AM

looking forward to it!

KEVLARKAT32 01-29-2011 08:03 AM

What is the new Mag out ? Sub to PB for years and stopped it a few years ago , just atarted up again and NOT EVEN CLOSE to what it was 10 years ago !!! Since the new owners took over a few years ago it is only good for toilet paper !!! To be honest I miss HOT boat! Why ? They showed real boats, not million dollar rigs that only a few could ever own . P.B is just a big adv book for big dollar companys pushing there overpriced hardware . Am I the only one who feel this way ?

sy goldberg 01-29-2011 09:23 AM

Hey Vettesteve !

What other magazines have you paged through ? :evilb::evilb:

Matt Trulio 01-29-2011 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by jbraun2828 (Post 3310434)
amazing what a little competition can do. A new mag out and now powerboat is back to 80 plus pages. I wish both of them the best and cant wait to get mine in the mail.

J,

Competition is good. You couldn't be more correct. However, what determines the size of Powerboat—and all special interest consumer magazines—is the number of advertising pages.

More ad pages, more editorial pages. Simple. I've written for more than a dozen other publications, and that's just the way it works.

Haley'sComet 01-29-2011 10:19 AM

Yeah... I remember Hot Boat Magazine. It was excellent for sure

KEVLARKAT32 01-29-2011 11:10 AM

Hot Boat mag was pub by Larry Flynnt and there was real reides in there , not big doolar overpriced crap that only a few can afford !! Also tons of of Titties , go figure , they came free !!

Haley'sComet 01-29-2011 12:08 PM

I never could figure out why Hot Boat went down the drain?

ItsPeanut 01-29-2011 12:46 PM

Ran to mailbox again. Still no powerboat. Picked up new superboat and performance boat today and was hoping for trifecta. No luck

ElimiNordic 01-29-2011 12:56 PM

Powerboat

I guess since I live on the wrong coast I won't get mine until next month some time. I going to pm Tank and have him read to me.

:confused:

ItsPeanut 01-29-2011 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic (Post 3310807)
I guess since I live on the wrong coast I won't get mine until next month some time. I going to pm Tank and have him read to me.

+1 Im with you on that on.

Catmando 01-29-2011 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by KEVLARKAT32 (Post 3310761)
Hot Boat mag was pub by Larry Flynnt and there was real reides in there , not big doolar overpriced crap that only a few can afford !! Also tons of of Titties , go figure , they came free !!

Yeah I miss HB, great mag they featured lots of boats everybody could afford and Spaise was fond of writing long articles on the test boats which I was fond of reading. :)

thisistank 01-29-2011 01:08 PM

A little lullaby when your tucked into bed...:drink:

thisistank 01-29-2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Haley'sComet (Post 3310790)
I never could figure out why Hot Boat went down the drain?

Drama!

Story goes - there was two brothers that ran it (including the hot boat website). When Larry flint publications was over owning it one of the brothers was going to buy it, he went in vacation just before putting in his offer and while he was gone, the other brother swooped in and bought it from under him - then fired him! The fired brother turned around and started performance boats and the majority of the members from the hot boat forum left the website for the newly formed performance boats website, hotboat turned into a ghost town (later more website drama followed and most members have left performance boats website for riverdaves...that's another story though). The brother that bought hotboat ran it into the ground (I think it was also coupled with the fact the magazine was already suffering - thus flint publications was selling originally) and it went belly up.

That's it in a nut shell.

TEAMBAJA 01-29-2011 03:52 PM

Im going to call him from the toilet at 8 am. He'll be real happy since its the middle of the night out there! :party-smiley-004:

Matt Trulio 01-29-2011 04:12 PM

If it makes any of you feel any better, I don't have mine either—and my issues get shipped to me directly from the printer.

Of course I know what's in it, but that's a whole lot different from holding and reading the finished product.

Cavanti53 01-29-2011 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by KEVLARKAT32 (Post 3310631)
What is the new Mag out ? Sub to PB for years and stopped it a few years ago , just atarted up again and NOT EVEN CLOSE to what it was 10 years ago !!! Since the new owners took over a few years ago it is only good for toilet paper !!! To be honest I miss HOT boat! Why ? They showed real boats, not million dollar rigs that only a few could ever own . P.B is just a big adv book for big dollar companys pushing there overpriced hardware . Am I the only one who feel this way ?

Hey Bro, I feel the same way but Powerboat is getting better. Have you tried Performance Boats Magazine? They have an offshore and a lake version. Both offer great reading. I do get both versions as well as Powerboat. Just fyi.....

PokerRun388 01-29-2011 04:46 PM

48 MTI "Windship" is the nicest one ive seen yet... Unreal!