Like Tree0Likes

Oil pump for oil changes??

Old 02-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1984 tri-hull deck boat, 1989 Baja Force 235, 1990 Powerquest 290 enticer fx

the other electric pump systems use the same small tube and suck through the dip stick tube...im gonna try that. Pump specs will lift fluid up to 30' surely it should suck hot oil up 3'???
Old 02-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member
Trade Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290enticer View Post
us1 fountain, I just got off of harbor freight site and found a marine utility pump for about 30 bucks, seems to be the same as the other system out there, vane pump, self priming....Even has mounting tabs so i can mount on top of 5 gallon bucket. I'll probably go that route and make my own. Should work just fine for one oil change a year!! Thanks
Probably the same one I bought. General Machinery? ?They had 2 pumps on the shelf, both looked exact same, just in different boxes with one labeled as marine pump. Mine says 35' head height, self priming. I just didn't have any luck with the small tube, even with the hot oil and the tube cut as short as possible thinking I had too much resistance at 1st. I could have sucked it out with a straw faster. I installed a switch on the pump handle to turn off/on for ease. As I mentioned, if you could get a hose at the oil pan drain, it'll be so much better, plus it will get all the oil out. I'm afraid you'll be dissapointed trying to use the 'hose down the dipstick' with that pump.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Registered

I use one from west marine that is on a bucket and sucks through the dip stick.

12v works fine. Next time I pull the motors I will install a hose from the pan, that is the best way to get all the stuff out.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1984 tri-hull deck boat, 1989 Baja Force 235, 1990 Powerquest 290 enticer fx

i bought the pump today, its by pacific hydrostar. Marine utility pump 200gph. I already have the small hose that goes into the dipstick. Gonna try it out. Looks like a nice pump. I don't know why this will not work, its the same principle as all the other suck through the dip stick pumps??? If not i'll just buy the one that is mounted to the bucket, by sur-flow. I wonder if you can buy one of those pumps that are on the "oil change systems"?
Old 04-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 89 Scarab III

Old thread I know but it definitey helped me out and saved some $$ so worth a bump. I just picked up the 12v pump from harbor freight and mounted it to a bucket. Both motors are on stands right now full of dyno oil so I just screwed the hose to the hose adapter on the dip stick tube. See pic. I had to change to a reinforced hose to keep it from collapsing. This method left quite a bit of oil due to the angle of the motors on the stand so I will still connect hoses in place of the drain plug.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]522364[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Oil pump for oil changes??-oil-pump.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 12:43 PM
Registered

My Boats: Cobalt 226

I know you said that you wanted a pump. However, what I have and used is the drain hose that connects to the drain plug. I can get the oil as hot as "satin's nards" pull the plug and proceed with a nice long drain. It was a challenge to get the hose connected to the drain port but it was well worth the effort.

Safe Boating

3pointstar
Old 04-21-2014, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 89 Scarab III

I have two motors so to fish the hose down through the drain hole one at a time would be a pain. I'm still going to use the hose method but just to the end of the pump as well.