Like Tree0Likes

Mercury HP1025/1200SCI

Reply
Old 02-02-2011, 11:02 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
My Boats: Eliminator
Posts: 2,228
Question Mercury HP1025/1200SCI

Hey,, Ive noticed the engine always says 1025/1200,,, but was wondering what has to be done to lower the HP rating...

Is this something that can be done easily? or are the other steps, such as changing the pulleys, that needs to be done...

Anyone know? ....
PokerRun388 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:11 AM
  #2
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
omerta one's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: LOTO
My Boats: 2009 Lip-Ship Gladiator; 1995 Cig 20
Posts: 2,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerRun388 View Post
Hey,, Ive noticed the engine always says 1025/1200,,, but was wondering what has to be done to lower the HP rating...

Is this something that can be done easily? or are the other steps, such as changing the pulleys, that needs to be done...

Anyone know? ....
There are 2 ECM's unplug from one and plug into the other; 1200HP requires race gas.
omerta one is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:32 AM
  #3
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Arlington Tx
Posts: 9,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by omerta one View Post
...1200HP requires race gas.
I don't understand why they did that with so many 1200+ motors in the marketplace that can use 93 octane.
Catmando is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:44 AM
  #4
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
GLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, VT
My Boats: Azimut
Posts: 15,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmando View Post
I don't understand why they did that with so many 1200+ motors in the marketplace that can use 93 octane.
No 1200hp motors can use 93 Cat....
GLH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:45 AM
  #5
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
GLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, VT
My Boats: Azimut
Posts: 15,267
Default

...for more than 10 minutes...
GLH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:18 AM
  #6
Registered
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lake Conroe, TX.
My Boats: 39' Sea Ray, 38' Nortech, 18' Taylor SJ
Posts: 14,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLH View Post
No 1200hp motors can use 93 Cat....
They would have to be awefully big cubes and bigger blowers.
jeff1000man is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:25 AM
  #7
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
My Boats: Advantage 28ft Sport Cat w/ pair of 8's
Posts: 989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1000man View Post
They would have to be awefully big cubes and bigger blowers.


Or........ just a couple of nice turbos!!!!!!!!!!!!




Darrell.
DMOORE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:11 AM
  #8
Registered
 
Whipple Charged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Fresno, CA, 93722, USA
My Boats: Engine, speed, powerboats, Outerlimits SV43 with Whipple 1375SCI's
Posts: 1,436
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLH View Post
No 1200hp motors can use 93 Cat....
Hmm, thats very untrue. Just installing 2.9L sc's in replace of the 2.3, slowing the SC's down, same max boost level equals over 1200hp and will pass any durability test Merc could throw at it. Just lowering power consumption and temp, free power.

The Merc 1075 engines don't even have CNC ported heads and really are nothing special. 1200hp has been pretty easy to reach on 91 octane for quite some time.
Whipple Charged is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:32 AM
  #9
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
GLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burlington, VT
My Boats: Azimut
Posts: 15,267
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple Charged View Post
Hmm, thats very untrue. Just installing 2.9L sc's in replace of the 2.3, slowing the SC's down, same max boost level equals over 1200hp and will pass any durability test Merc could throw at it. Just lowering power consumption and temp, free power.

The Merc 1075 engines don't even have CNC ported heads and really are nothing special. 1200hp has been pretty easy to reach on 91 octane for quite some time.
91 is still just as hard to find on the water as 93 and if I have to pull out to fuel I'm going to put 93 in order to be on the safe side. I don't think the 5 cent saving once on the trailer is worth the risk.

And I would not run 91 in my 1050 engines if I can help it never mind if I had anything that pumped out 1200hp. But that's just me.

Last edited by GLH; 02-03-2011 at 05:48 AM.
GLH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:43 AM
  #10
Registered
 
SS930's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: At the office.
My Boats: 1990 Donzi Sweet 16
Posts: 6,684
Default

It sounds like Mini-Hawk's question was aready answered, but I have to agree with Dustin that 1200 isn't all that uncommon on 93 these days. Especially with turbos and meth/water injection.
SS930 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.