Notices

OSO a fishing site???

Old 02-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Ya. It's an ominous feeling. The first time you first realize you could be in a lot of trouble should something go wrong is a humbling moment.
One time we stopped about 15 miles offshore in Lake Huron, no wind, sun was high and the water was flat. After some time went by I asked " Which way back ?" The compass was covered and GPS was off. Everyone had saucer eyes pointing in different directions.
ed
Old 02-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Interceptor
For those of you that have traveled far enough offshore to lose sight of land .............
did you get that funny, funny feeling the first time ?

ed
What do you mean "the first time?" I still get that feeling every time.

Oh, and I LOL'd at this comment:

"Those guys actually go "offshore". They don't hang out at waterfront bars telling stories all day!"

Truer words have never been spoken. Around here, I'd bet that the average 22' single engine center console has been both further offshore, and offshore way more often than the average "offshore" powerboat.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No land anywhere!!

For those of you that have traveled far enough offshore to lose sight of land .............

ed
I have always boated on lakes & rivers, so land was always in sight. I will never forget the small fish in a big pond feeling I had when I could not see anything but water for the first time.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Traveling out that far in one of my past boats would mean 150 miles out...tie off the fuel barge and filler' up.....a quick engine freshen....and head back!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Registered

And look at the ads they are repo's and he has more info listed about the boats than most that cost more than every boat that guy listed. The other dealers should learn something from this guy,I have seen more info for free dirt than some boats listed here latley.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

ed
didn't bother me but glassdave was twirling around like a top... he got all giggly when he saw the shark jump out of the water.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
Just checked the classifieds.......9 on the last 10 photo ads shown are of center consoles. I thought I had logged onto "thehulltruth" for a second.
The owner of that dealership currently owns two Nor-techs does that give some offshore cred.....
Old 02-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
And look at the ads they are repo's and he has more info listed about the boats than most that cost more than every boat that guy listed. The other dealers should learn something from this guy,I have seen more info for free dirt than some boats listed here latley.
Yup, makes me laugh when somebody is trying to sell a 200K boat and they post 1 five yr. old poloroid pic.

Last edited by Dave M; 02-04-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Don't forget, a 46 Skater can catch fish if you are quick enough!!
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

Its funny how your definition of being far offshore changes. whe I lived in Illinois I had a 26' single engine boat and always wanted to cross from Chicago to South Haven (about 70 miles) but thought it was crazy in a single engine boat.
Now, I fish in a 23 Fountain CC (26') with a single outboard and we rarely start fishing less the 30 miles out. I have taken her 67 miles straight west of the Venice inlet. We typically run 80-100 miles round trip when fishing and I never give it a thought. I recently had a friend down and we wer 30 miles out and he finally said he was a little freaked out. I do carry an EPIRB, offshore life jackets, and a plethera of other safety equipment I never carried in a sport boat.

I love it out there. The water is incredibly blue and peaceful.