Title help in Michigan~Florida >

Title help in Michigan~Florida

Notices

Title help in Michigan~Florida

Old 02-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Title help

There is only one person I have ever met that knows titles in the entire US. Dana- she knows all the laws and games they play contact: Dana ([email protected])
Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmith76
There is only one person I have ever met that knows titles in the entire US. Dana- she knows all the laws and games they play contact: Dana ([email protected])
Scott,

Is this the same Dana at United Lien in Ft. Lauderdale....

http://www.unitedamericanlien.com

Todd
Old 02-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Registered

Default No

No Dana is from Fast Boats, she is married to Ron Mclean formerly of Fast Boats also. She is very slick
Old 02-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MidOcean
Sorry, but you are wrong. Boat titles were moved from the former DNR to the Florida DMV (FHSMV) when the Florida Marine Patrol was absorbed into the Fish and Wildlife Conservation branch of the Dept. of Environmental Protection. There are specific laws that protect the buyer, even in instances where the seller is a pvt concern.

again, if you are going the lien route... it's probably not as simple as going and filing with your tag agency. Good luck

From 2004 to 2009 I sold over 2600 boats in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Louisiana. Most were mitigated insurance claims as my company, U.S. Marsalvor (now part of IAA) was the chief logistics agent for Progressive, Ski Safe(Geico), Alstate and State Farm. These were complicated issues and in many cases we had to get court ordered titles.

But, hey, don't take my word for it..
When did that change? If it did change, that is great news! In 2009, I bought a boat from a POS dealer in FL. He showed me a copy of the title and kept stalling when I asked why the title was not sent to me, even though we had a legally binding FL marine contract which clearly stated I would have a clear title assigned to me within 30 days after full payment for the boat. I paid with certified bank check, made out to their dealership, and had a notarized bill of sale that had the complete contract as part of that bill of sale. He cashed the check the very next day (verified by my bank). After a lot of work, I found out that he never paid the bank for the loan he had against that boat (part of his "inventory"), and they never released the title to him (the dealership). I went through DMV who told me I needed to contact Fish and Wildlife. Fish and Wildlife said sorry about your luck, you need to file civil suit - boats were treated like buying a refrigerator or chainsaw, not like buying a Motorized Vehicle (DMV jurisdiction). Talked to police dept in his town, and they inferred the same thing ... he was a "known" entiity. Ended up having to hire an attorney in his town to go after him. I wasn't the only person that that dealership screwed. Found out that the bank was trying to find a couple other boats that the dealership "sold" but funds never made it to the bank. Heard that the dealership eventually had criminal charges filed against them but I do not know that for a fact, as I never bothered to verify any of that after I eventually got my title. I am really anal about paperwork/documentation and thought I had myself well covered. This was not the first boat I bought (somewhere around the eleventh one). I learned a couple more valuable "life lessons" through that transaction. REALLY SUCKED!

Last edited by bob_t; 02-05-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E Dock DD
I think I would stick with the lost in the mail reason since you have a copy of the title and see if Michigan can produce a new title in your name since you have records of buying the boat. Since the boat is in Florida, have you tried to find out if the previous owner now lives in Florida?
you should be able to file a lost title form in michigan,,and get a title sent to you,,,my brother in law sells used cars,,,and has done this many times in the past,,,michigan.gov/oso hope this helps
Old 02-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmith76
No Dana is from Fast Boats, she is married to Ron Mclean formerly of Fast Boats also. She is very slick
I know who you are talking about. When I was trying to buy Zero Cavity she handled the contract. Yes, great lady.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Issue Resolved

To provide closure to this issue I thought I would share the outcome and perhaps others in a similar situation can bennefit from my experience.

My brother and No 1 "Right hand man and boat buddy" lives in Alabama which is a "No Title" state for boats. I ordered and paid for an "Official Certified Copy" of the last registration and Title from the State of Michigan in the name of "Mr. Smith". Mr. Smith sold one 1979 Formula to my brother in Alabama. My brother in Alabama registered said Formula and later sold said Formula to me. I took my bill of sale along with the Alabama Certificate of Registration to the Florida DMV agency here and secured a Florida Certificate of Title as well as a Florida Registration. Done Deal....total cost A~Z...less than $200. Thats the way it's done gentlemen....no drama...no BS or magical tricks....just the result of thinking it through and working through the system. Lawyers here locally charge mucho big bucks to do this same thing and it takes 6~8 weeks to get it done.

Prior to buying this boat in the beginning I had run a "Boat Fax" on it and was certain that it was clean. Knowing that made it simple enough to get a "Cerified Copy of Registration" from Michigan. Dealing with the girls in Michigan took a month however. The recession has really cut into their personel resources so it took 30 days for them to process the request.

In retrospect...the turd I bought the boat from could have helped me with this quite a bit and saved a bunch of anxiety...but...he "Is not of the womb but is of the bowel"

I think there is a special place in Hell for Ass Holes that phuk people around like this. Most of my dealings with persons that I have met on this forum, the Formula Boats forum, as well as Club Sea Ray have been first class. I have actually bought and sold boats and equipment to/from guys I have met online exchanging at times tens of thousands of dollars with good result. Despite this incident I am confident that most folks that share a common interest in this hobby are solid people.

I hope this story helps someone work through any problems they encounter similar to mine.