Notices

Advice on Racing!

Old 05-19-2002, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on Racing!

I'm thinking about getting into Performance Class racing. I believe I have found a perfect P3 or P4 boat, but am a little fuzzy about everything else I need to think about after the purchase. Time commitment, funds, registration, repairs, etc...

I am trying to do my due diligence so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Longtime observer. First time poster!

Ricochet
Old 05-19-2002, 09:35 PM
SunseekerNY

Dear Ricochet:

E-me your e-mail address, and I shall send you one of the sponsorship budgets I prepared for the 2001 racing season for an F1 boat. It includes everything from detailing and storage of the boat to travel, racing fees, gas, etc. I think we even included onboard cameras - in line-item cost breakdown format, so just delete the items you don't require.

Jennifer

Old 05-19-2002, 10:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You forgot to about me last year.

mike
Old 05-20-2002, 09:12 AM
SunseekerNY

Originally posted by mike merola
You forgot to about me last year.

mike
Mike - I sent it to Frank. Sorry. I failed to realize you wanted one as well.

Anyway, I put a sample budget online for the curious. It can be custom tailored to the person racing the boat. The one online is fairly generic and includes a new boat AND tow vehicle. I have it available in WordPerfect format as well. (MS Word SUCKS!)

I piggy-backed it off
http://superboatpowerboats.com/racing-budget.html

Jennifer

Old 05-20-2002, 09:13 AM
Registered

Thanks Jennifer.

The e-mail is on the way.

Ricochet.
Old 05-20-2002, 09:18 AM
SunseekerNY

I'm always happy to lend a hand when I can.

Jennifer

Old 05-20-2002, 10:07 AM
Offshore Addiction

Randy with Typhoon Racing posted earlier about anyone needing help with getting started with racing. His offer is sincere and he is willing to help anyone out- We, Offshore Addiction, raced in the Performance Class for 5 years and we will be willing to offer advice too- please contact us at [email protected] or call (813) 247-3049.

Old 05-20-2002, 11:54 AM
SunseekerNY

Most of the race teams you contact are more than willing to help you out - especially Typhoon. Those guys are great.

I have over 100 racing budgets and press kits from various teams dating back to 1990. You should see some of the earlier ones compared to what the teams are sending out now with videos and DVDs in custom packaging. It's incredible. All you have to do is ask. That's what I did. I even got press kits from direct competitors. It was invaluable. There is a wealth of resources out there. All you have to do is ask!

There are no secrets.

My best wishes,
Jennifer

Old 05-20-2002, 12:03 PM
Registered

The budget is a great idea...however you must also consider the what-ifs...

Take this from someone who has been there. I had my boat payment and travel to handle myself, but sponsors took care of hotels, transport, storage, gas, entry fees, etc...

The problem came when a Factory Team boat decided they didn't have dime one invested, cut me off and threw me into an obstacle. $60,000 in repairs later I STILL have my boat payment (adjusted a bit higher now), but have learned a valuable lesson. No matter how much help and support you have, you better have deep pockets and prepare for the unexpected. All that support somehow disappears at the time you need it most.

This is NOT meant to discourage you, just advise you. There is no way I would run my own boat anymore, but I would give my left you-know-what to be back out there again. (Maybe Reindl can help.)
Old 05-20-2002, 12:13 PM
SunseekerNY

Damn!

I just checked my e-mail.

The budget I have is part of a ten-page press kit. I can send the whole thing out via e-mail to you guys, but it is in WordPerfect format. When I copy/pasted the document into the Superboatpowerboats.com web site, I lost all the formatting, so that won't work.

I never did anything with a download through Acrobat Reader. If someone cares to walk me through it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Otherwise, I shall print them up at the office (I gave my printer to my ex) and mail them out. Please note that these kits are usually notebook bound and have clear plastic covers on them as presentation is everything. I am only sending out the pages so you can get an idea of what the documents in a complete professional presentation looks like. (many of the teams are having custom folders made now - ie; Drambuie on Ice had/has a spectacular kit) If you can receive a document via WordPerfect, feel free to edit in your own information and use my formatting to save time and money.

Jeff can custom edit your footage onto a DVD. Or, if you are a new team, send a generic one for impact.

Jennifer

Quick Reply: Advice on Racing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.