Notices

Need Advice On Cats!!!!

Old 02-11-2011, 05:12 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey1024
I currently have a 24 outlaw and have become bored with it. I want to upgrade to something faster. at least 90+ mph. between 28 to 32 feet. single or twin eng. I am trying to keep the cost under $45,000.00. Looking around i have found some nice cats or what i think is nice... can anyone give me any idea on what to look for in a cat or what brands to look at or stay away from?? all imput welcomed!!!!
For a 28 or larger you want two engines. To hit you desired speed, one engine will have to be too modified to be as dependable as you want. You can get a boat with two stock Merc's and go 100mph no problem. Stay with Bravo drives for cost and the insurance everybody warns you about is not that big of deal. At this price range of boat and even being a cat, it will be affordable. Make sure you stress any experience you have had boating when talking to Wake Zone or Sy Goldberg, both great insurance providers found here in the insurance section. Asking about different brands in a forum like this is always going to bring you a response of whatever that member is driving currently. I think one of the best buys in a cat like you are seeking is an older Spectre. Of course you can't beat an Eliminator. Look at American Offshore. Skater, while one of the best boats made, will be out of your price range unless you buy someone's project and finish it. MTI, Nor-Tech, Outerlimits etc while all good boats, will have the same issue. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:13 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Mikey, I think Cat has found it for you. Room, performance.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:21 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoresteve
That's Funny because SHE was the One that told me Skaters were the most expensive to insure!! Must have been that time of the month
Ouch! Steve your rates are fixin to jump!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default cat insurance

I can insure any brand of cats under 130 mph with the TRES MARTIN course if the owner has 5 years high performance boating experience.I have the discretion to offer premium credits including a 10% premium reduction for being a member of OSO so my premiums are not too much more than vee hulls.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recomend you buy mine
99 28' Twin Stock Merc 502's [email protected]
Insured with State Farm for the full 11 years I have owned it!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mikey1024
offshoresteve I am looking more for I/O engines. Anything you could recomend in the v hull?? i originally wanted more seating as well but it seems if i want seating i have to sacrifice speed. i looked at some v hulls with twins and it seems most of them only reach max speeds of around 80 or so that will be in my price range. (no older than 2000). another reason i am looking more into the cats.
If you ever go cat, you won't go back. If you want to go fast, get a cat. If you want to be at the back of the pack, get a v-hull.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by offshoresteve
Did not like her attitude( arrogant) when I spoke with her.I had my Ins. broker who handles my Company. Ins. get me A Deal.
I find Stacy anything but arrogant.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sy goldberg
I can insure any brand of cats under 130 mph with the TRES MARTIN course if the owner has 5 years high performance boating experience.I have the discretion to offer premium credits including a 10% premium reduction for being a member of OSO so my premiums are not too much more than vee hulls.
Sy, I thought you needed the cat to be 10 or 11yo or newer too... no?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

I have a buddy with a 27' Awesome Cat that flies a bit under the radar for insurance purposes. It currently has a pretty mild 454 in it, but will handl a BUNCH more. It would be a good cat to build some time in so that when you step up to a Skater in the future, insurance does not kill you. I am thinking that he would sell it for $15k including the trailer.

As I understand it, the Awesome was designed/built in Michigan to handle some pretty big water.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Catmando
Call this guy and see what you can work out with him. You're only $10,000 apart;

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o37711-en.html

The AO3100 has high freeboard which will give you a sense of comfort and security. It was designed and built to race offshore so the acceleration and handling are very good. With 630hp each it should run 105+.

i did see this one while i was looking at the classifieds. the layout of this boat is what i am looking for. im sure as spring/summer gets closer there will be alot more out there. i just want to make sure that this next boat that i get is the one that i want and i dont rush into another headach as i did with my current boat.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE INPUT!!!!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!