Like Tree0Likes

How Fast is 180 mph?

Reply
Old 02-11-2011, 11:07 AM
  #1
Correspondent
Correspondent
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,345
Default How Fast is 180 mph?

Something to consider, http://boatermouth.com//index.php?vi...ntent&Itemid=8.

We seem to toss this number around pretty casually these days.
Matt Trulio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:19 AM
  #2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Too Stroked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
My Boats: 1992 Progression 22
Posts: 1,736
Default

Sage words of advice Matt! In a day and time where just about any idiot with money can buy a boat that will run 150 MPH, many people forget that you need a hell of a lot of water and a hell of a lot of experience to do this kind of thing safely. Even pros like JT are getting worried. That says a lot.

I remember what an APBA offical told me years ago when we were having a friendly discussion about the requirments for Lifeline PFD's in the old A class. He told me that you can roller skate on water at about 60 MPH. At two or three times that, very bad things can happen. And throw alcohol into the mix ...
Too Stroked is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:06 PM
  #3
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Double Rigged's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
My Boats: 308 Skater w/ 300x's
Posts: 1,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Stroked View Post
Sage words of advice Matt! In a day and time where just about any idiot with money can buy a boat that will run 150 MPH, many people forget that you need a hell of a lot of water and a hell of a lot of experience to do this kind of thing safely. Even pros like JT are getting worried. That says a lot.

I remember what an APBA offical told me years ago when we were having a friendly discussion about the requirments for Lifeline PFD's in the old A class. He told me that you can roller skate on water at about 60 MPH. At two or three times that, very bad things can happen. And throw alcohol into the mix ...
AMEN Brother!
Double Rigged is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:13 PM
  #4
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
My Boats: 2006 Larson Senza 206
Posts: 3,138
Default

264 feet per second.... DAMN
Perlmudder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:25 PM
  #5
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
My Boats: 40 Skater
Posts: 495
Default

At least for me, running 150 is completely different than running 180+....

180ish I feel like I do right before a moto looking at the starting gate, a nervous energy.

I applaud everyone who runs big numbers. It is not easy and damn sure not cheap.
40FlatDeck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:35 PM
  #6
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lake Travis ,Texas
My Boats: 1988 CARRERA SS8M / 1984 CARRERA 32 single step raceboat
Posts: 2,277
Default

Yup,,thats why I am still amazed they can get away with running 140-150mph on poker runs on public lakes without closing off the course. At that speed all it takes is some joe blow bozo to cut across with 10 kids on his pontoon boat in front of a group of 140mph boats to end poker runs as we know them..

(at 140mph your still covering 200ft per second)

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 02-11-2011 at 12:38 PM.
HTRDLNCN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:46 PM
  #7
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ - Scottsdale,AZ
My Boats: 04' Nordic Rage & 06' JC TriToon
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40FlatDeck View Post
At least for me, running 150 is completely different than running 180+....

180ish I feel like I do right before a moto looking at the starting gate, a nervous energy.

I applaud everyone who runs big numbers. It is not easy and damn sure not cheap.
You scare me.... LOL.

Yep, seems like every 10 mph after 120 gets a bit more edgy. Of course IMO 170 in 31' of boat is just plan crazy. Even seeing Olsen run 170 in 33' in not so optimal water made me wonder when do you call it good.
todd969 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 PM
  #8
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tucson, AZ
My Boats: 40 Skater
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd969 View Post
You scare me.... LOL.

Yep, seems like every 10 mph after 120 gets a bit more edgy. Of course IMO 170 in 31' of boat is just plan crazy. Even seeing Olsen run 170 in 33' in not so optimal water made me wonder when do you call it good.
No doubt, that 31 would get awful small at those speeds.

Gary is very good at reading the water or the wind conditions. I trust him completely, so if he wants to run, we run. If you even tap the trim postive, and I do mean TAP the button, or anything else for that matter at those speeds, it makes a big change. I called Johnny T last year and picked his brain about running that fast. He had great advice for me. He is the man for sure.

Havasu isn't ready for what Predator has under the hatch this year.
40FlatDeck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 PM
  #9
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ - Scottsdale,AZ
My Boats: 04' Nordic Rage & 06' JC TriToon
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40FlatDeck View Post
No doubt, that 31 would get awful small at those speeds.

Gary is very good at reading the water or the wind conditions. I trust him completely, so if he wants to run, we run. If you even tap the trim postive, and I do mean TAP the button, or anything else for that matter at those speeds, it makes a big change. I called Johnny T last year and picked his brain about running that fast. He had great advice for me. He is the man for sure.

Havasu isn't ready for what Predator has under the hatch this year.
So true, Gary understands conditions. He's one of few I would trust in almost any water. But you still scare me...
todd969 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:11 PM
  #10
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
offshoredrillin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Maryland
My Boats: 00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'
Posts: 10,945
Default

I made a similar comment about a month ago when people were talking about goldigger, saying it only does 150, my response was "only"?...since when is 150 slow?
offshoredrillin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.