Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking for USED External Steering >

Looking for USED External Steering

Notices

Looking for USED External Steering

Old 05-23-2002, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Katdrvr. The nice thing about the hynautic rams is that they have a very long stroke. It allows them to work in almost any application. It also gives them a little more flexability in the geometry when installing.
Gary
Old 05-23-2002, 09:54 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Gary,

I have the Hynautic rams in my cat. I like them but they look a little clunky but who cares they are under water at rest anyway.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:59 AM
Registered

Can't argue with what works. Actually, I think they look pretty tough. I added sone heavy bracing to the wingplates and that combined with the 3/4" rams, big heim joints, etc made the hardware on the back of my old scarab look really strong.
Gary
Old 05-23-2002, 10:14 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Gary,
Can you get a clevis end on the Hynautic rams? I agree they are a nice beefy unit and I have not had any trouble with mine.
Old 05-23-2002, 10:26 AM
Registered

I assume your talking about the standard rod end, ball/pin type connecter.
The only all S/S 3/4" piece I could find on short notice was a heim joint. Very big and strong but kind of pricey.
Gary
Old 05-23-2002, 11:04 AM
CB
Registered

Default steering

anyway to get those powder coated spacers and hubs for the helm w/o spending a fortune ?? i have the rest done already wish i would have known about the other stuff before !!!

chris
Old 05-23-2002, 11:24 AM
Registered

Hey there "Fin", I was down at the arch over the weekend, and I think Bruce has some stuff that will help you out.
Try and give him a call if you can, and good luck on your project.

DaBeezer
Old 05-24-2002, 01:42 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW guys thanks for all the input. I have enclosed the letter that was sent to me from Gary about the sytem that he put together. Can anyone PLEASE get a picture of their system with the Hynautic set up so that we can get some more ideas?

If you can keep a secret and not laugh, I can tell you how to install full hydraulic for under $500.
Rams, Hynautic for OB or IB. They are not pretty but are the strongest I've ever seen (3/4" S/S ram). The ones I'm talking about are a tube with square endcaps. 4 long screws hold the square endcaps on. Some IB models have a ram that goes through both endcaps. Get ones that only protrude thru one end. They can be bought used for under $100 each.

Power helm, (dont laugh) from a combine, call an implement dealer for a rebuilt/used one. Got one for $150 and it worked with my existing P/S pump. If you dont need power (single engine), you can get any OB hydraulic helm cheap.

Lines, Look up hydraulics in the Yellow pages and buy the standard stuff (1000psi -6) by the foot with brass plated fittings and make your own. The external lines on the transom can be rubber coated hose with S/S fittings ($100-200).

Very functional, very strong.
Gary
Old 05-24-2002, 05:31 AM
straycat

Just my two cents on this one. I also have the Hynautic rams on my 31 Awesome. They work fine but don't look as pretty as the Imco or Latham or any of the nice SS or chrome rams. Also they discolor from the on/off cleaner I use on the transom. Any one interested in them, I'll gladly take them off and upgrade to the purdy shiny ones!

Old 05-25-2002, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

does anybody have a sizing chart for helms?

Obviously, a single ram system needs a helm with HALF the volume (per revolution) as a twin ram system. To get a "normal" 2 to 3 turns "lock to lock" a certain volume of fluid must be metered out by the helm (orbital) pump. I have passed on several orbital units I have run across because I was not sure if they were sized right or not.

Somebody with a twin ram power system that has 2 to 3 turns L-L please post the model # of your helm pump: ditto for a single ram system...

Quick Reply: Looking for USED External Steering

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.