557 H.P Supercharged Small Block Chevt >

557 H.P Supercharged Small Block Chevt

Notices

557 H.P Supercharged Small Block Chevt

Old 02-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Cool 557 H.P Supercharged Small Block Chevt

Well by now all you guys have heard about the 557 H.P. supercharged small block chevy in an outboard .. Wonder how long it will take someone to put an outdrive like Ilmor, Volvo, or Konrad on the back end of that engine and give Merc a run for their money ?????? And not cost $204,000.00 an engine or some other out of this world price!!!!!!! Sounds like a great weight to horsepower ratio !!
Hows that for a large crap ball that just got rolled ..

Jim
Old 02-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You can get a lot more horsepower from Merc for a lot less than 204k
Old 02-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The $204,000.00 was just a figure I threw out because thats the cost of the new (1350 ) . I was just trying to put a little levity in the post !

Jim
Old 02-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple of questions and observations.

Who would bother with a blower on a small block to make just 550 ponies.

(Mine makes 500&500 with about 10K of parts.)

Then why would you cobble a beautiful new indy together with an outboard setup when you could just install it like it should be installed?

Curious where you are going with all this- it is interesting in a "Rube Goldberg" kind of way.

Uncle Dave
Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The outboard thing looks cool, but the more you go over the 1hp per cubic inch base line the more work the motor will need and wont last as long. A small block will never have the grunt a big block will, they work fine in smaller lighter boats but I wouldn't look for them in big boats. Around here getting high oct. fuel is harder and harder, and a supercharged small block will more than likely need 91 or higher for that much hp or it will have a knock sensor and pull the hp down when on less oct. fuel. I would rather have a 600-700 cube big block thats N/A set up to run on 89 oct. fuel making 700ish HP with a 300-500 hour life span.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

A pair of these on a 28 or a 32 skater would be nice though
Old 02-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Registered

Pricing out a 500-550 small block after the miami show. Have to get a feel for where the market is at. Anyone price one out or have a feel for what they would pay?

Not sure if stroker is the way to go and probably shy away from LS for now but who knows. Carb and efi options for sure as well as all quality parts.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:16 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
Pricing out a 500-550 small block after the miami show. Have to get a feel for where the market is at. Anyone price one out or have a feel for what they would pay?

Not sure if stroker is the way to go and probably shy away from LS for now but who knows. Carb and efi options for sure as well as all quality parts.
I had one priced out a few years back.
475/475, and was very reasonably $ from a 383.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Bill Mithcell, Hardcore Racing, has alot of combinations to choose from for the street (marinazation is up to you). A good starting place if you do want an old style Chevy small block, or if you decide to go the LS route he can help you there too.

http://www.theengineshop.com/products/engines
Old 02-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marinized ready to roll exhaust and everything new from scratch 20-25K.

Be careful using an engine built for cars, cars dont have water reversion problems or issues with high idling.

A high idle in a boat with an outdrive = broken drive gears and blown clutches.

In a car you can run as much lift and duration as youd like to make X number appear on a dyno.

I have a a really nice 406 and if I had to do it all over again Id have just gone with an FI big block and been done with it.

Uncle Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.