Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Catamaran's with/without Center-Pods..... >

Catamaran's with/without Center-Pods.....

Notices

Catamaran's with/without Center-Pods.....

Old 02-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tbanzer
I go after work till sunet and later. Usually home by 12:00, unless its one of those rare calm warm moonlit nights on Lake Erie. I have friends who litterally are out ever boating day after work and the week ends.
WORK CAN WAIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja555
36 skater is available with a cabin..
Have they ever done it...???

I'd like to se the lay out...
Old 02-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Registered

Yes , ask Blume. the 36 has been done with a cabin
Old 02-21-2011, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We ran a 24' Skater with twin 2.4 outboards for 13 years and now have a F29 DCB with trip 300X outboards which we've had for 3 years. The Skater did have porpoising which you could power out of, but the DCB doesn't, more stable, and no complaints on the performance of the DCB. Wouldn't hesitate to buy DCB again.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"...the M31 ate up the little white caps and 1-2' chop Havasu threw up the day we tested with out a hickup..." tank

Teague and Tomlinson were testing a 30' DCB Sport Deck for PB mag. They ran over a big wakeboard boat wake at 120 and they said they didn't even feel it.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LESSONLEARNED
Have they ever done it...???

I'd like to se the lay out...
It's called the 36' Pleasure Deck. Has a cabin door on one side of the cockpit and a different engine hatch as well as dual deck railings.

No windshield either
Old 02-22-2011, 01:08 AM
Banned

There is one in the classifieds in the skater section all white with number fives. At pier 57
Old 02-22-2011, 09:51 AM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by mikesufka
The majority of the "true cats" (aka - without pods) will "hop" between 50 and 80 MPH. The cats WITH pods do not "hop" at any speed.

However, the true cats are much better in rough water, or so they tell me.

I own a Spectre 30 with twin 300XS outboards and mine will "hop" between 55 and 75 MPH if I don't use the tunnel tab or if it's calm out. No big deal, just accelerate thru it or slow down. Runs awesome in rougher water.

I'm sure others will add more.

Mike
You obviously not running a MTI.... They dont hop..
Old 02-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdowns
You obviously not running a MTI.... They dont hop..
your right the MTI they dont hop , they just porpouise from 95 to 130
Old 02-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nautdesign1
T2x is of course correct (as is often the case) in that Skater cats are the gold standard for which all others are compared. However if you race in the 30-32 foot outboard class the Doug Wright may indeed be the new standard. From the race results over the last few years it appears the skaters aren’t even close.

ND1
Comment:

I agree 100% the 32 Doug Wright is the hull to beat in the 30-32 foot superboat class. The new 32 DW X-Cat hull is kicking azz in the middle east [X-Cat Series] where the competition is ferocious.

Even the older Doug Wright hulls from 2004 are still winning races and usually running first and second place at every venue.

I would join T2x's comments and add the following.

The center pod boats boats run more like mod-vp hulls than true cats. However, as pointed out not all the center-pod boats are the same... most at triple digit speeds have the pod completely out of the water and pack air nicely.

The center pod boats do hop if the water is very glassy and sticky at certain speeds... where the hull is trying to free up from the surface water tension. Whereas, a true cat under the same conditions would porpoise so bad it would feel like your a dolphin at Sea World.

Also the center pod design is required in a smaller 30ft and under single engine boat. You need somewhere to put the motor and drive. Hence, the widespread use on the West Coast where smaller boats are the norm and larger boats are the exception.

KAP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.