Notices

Cigarette anyone????

Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 878 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger
Engines and drives ought to be worth something.
How much do they get these days for scrap metal?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger
Theres is a lot more to the story. Wife turned him in to IRS during a divorce, he hid the boat. He finally lost some land to them and later died. Boat sat for the last 15 years and was covered for some time but covers eventually rotted.
Makes sense, but I don't know why people do stuff like this. They "hide" something of value only to let it rot and become worthless... It happens all the time. I don't get it...
Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 878 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
I agree... Someone may have to pay someone to get it out of there... Or yank the motors/drives if they still spin, sell them off and burn the rest, or give it away to someone with a big heart and a huge infatuation with this thing. From a pure financial position it just doesn't make sense...
Or better yet for the guys that want to save it......ask them if they want this boat and 200K to restore it OR another turn key 200K boat now?

Not many guys would take the project!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

You have been on the boat. Is the deck, transom, anything or everything solid? I've bought (or was given) worse then that. The last boat I restored had a tree growing out of the cockpit. Nice thing about fiberglass is (in most cases) it don't rot.
If you want money for it then you are parting it out. If getting rid of the whole thing. A few bucks for your trouble but everything will have to go with it to make it worth hauling it away and giving the boat a chance to live again.
Do the right thing if you can.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Registered

Makes sense, but I don't know why people do stuff like this. They "hide" something of value only to let it rot and become worthless... It happens all the time. I don't get it...
I would have sank my boat before giving it to the ex wife and her new boyfriend at the time.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
I would have sank my boat before giving it to the ex wife and her new boyfriend at the time.
I get that, but part the damn thing out. It's not like you can "un-hide" a near 50' boat in a few years. The jig is going to be up the first time you splash the damn thing. Not to mention that it wasn't even properly preserved when it was "hidden."

If you want to "hide" it then strip it bear, sell off anything that's worth anything, and let them have the hull and laugh your ass off as they wonder what to do with the money pit that I left them.

My only issue is that they should have had some kind of plan regarding what they were going to do with the thing. To take a valuable asset and let it just sit there and rot until it's not worth the cost of transporting is utterly disgusting IMO.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Registered

I get that, but part the damn thing out. It's not like you can "un-hide" a near 50' boat in a few years. The jig is going to be up the first time you splash the damn thing. Not to mention that it wasn't even properly preserved when it was "hidden."

If you want to "hide" it then strip it bear, sell off anything that's worth anything, and let them have the hull and laugh your ass off as they wonder what to do with the money pit that I left them.

My only issue is that they should have had some kind of plan regarding what they were going to do with the thing. To take a valuable asset and let it just sit there and rot until it's not worth the cost of transporting is utterly disgusting IMO.
I get what you are saying but in the heat of battle you really don’t have time to “strip it out” and as for his plan, I think he died so all plans are off then.
With this guys back story I can understand how it happened but like you I have seen this a thousand times without the story and like you it pi$$es me off to no end.

I would love to restore this boat (if it's worth saving) but you would need a partner to do it or a big bank roll.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My question is if he was turned into the irs do they have a claim to this boat or can someone get it and title it with no problem
Old 02-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kickin32
My question is if he was turned into the irs do they have a claim to this boat or can someone get it and title it with no problem
ha... I don't think they want it...

But to answer your Q, I doubt they put a lien on the title, but that is something that should be looked into before making this thing all pretty.

You could always leave it at a storage facility for a few months, not pay the bill, and get a free and clear title through them...

Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The motors (if rebuildable) and scrap metal are all thats worth anything... The rest would make a nice reef in a couple years at the bottom. If anyone would even concider restoring it they are Loco! Its worth maybe 20 grand if it was restored and sea worthy..

A chain saw to the transom would make for easier access to those 540's