Like Tree0Likes

Boat Cover Cleaning?

Reply
Old 04-08-2011, 08:41 AM
  #11
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
My Boats: 50 MPH Tooner
Posts: 1,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor View Post
Throw it in a swimming pool overnight. I have a full black cover on my Fountain CC and thats how I clean it. Works amazing and no work other than vacuming the pool. The chlorine in the pool isnt enough to hurt the cover but will kill/remove any mold/mildew. You might need some brick to weigh it down.
Next best is to soak it in a garbage can or big rubbermaid bin with the same chlorine content as a pool. Agittae now and then. rinse well.
I'm just trying to picture how you stumbled across this solution the first time
Baja_342 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:04 PM
  #12
JnT
Registered
 
JnT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Georgia
My Boats: 1987 Apache Scout
Posts: 1,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonenough View Post
Ive thought about taking mine to a commercial cleaner and having them run it through the washing machine on delicate...
Has anyone tried that?

I did last year. My cover had a lot of mildew,dirt,pollen and pine sap on it. Called my normal cleaners and the gave me the number to one with a machine big enough to handle it. Cover cleaned up good but not perfect. We retreated it with scotch guard and its repelled water nicely for over a year. 60.00 for the dry cleaner and around 20.00 for the scotch guard.
JnT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:08 PM
  #13
Registered
 
Downtown42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 1 Flu Ovr KuKos Nest-WI
My Boats: 2005 42' Fountain SOLD
Posts: 9,950
Default

Buy a $10 blue plastic kiddie pool and wash it in there.
Downtown42 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:14 PM
  #14
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9
Default

303 makes a fabric cleaner that is approved by Sunbrella and will not strip the weatherproofing.
fountainwoman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:23 PM
  #15
Registered
 
ItsPeanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Im close to water?
My Boats: 21 Scout
Posts: 1,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor View Post
Throw it in a swimming pool overnight. I have a full black cover on my Fountain CC and thats how I clean it. Works amazing and no work other than vacuming the pool. The chlorine in the pool isnt enough to hurt the cover but will kill/remove any mold/mildew. You might need some brick to weigh it down.
Next best is to soak it in a garbage can or big rubbermaid bin with the same chlorine content as a pool. Agittae now and then. rinse well.
I tried scrubbing for a while but it seemed endless. Broke out the pressure washer and i say im 68% their. How much chlorine to water in a kiddie pool do you think i should use. Is their a certain type of chlorine i should use also. Thanks for the help
ItsPeanut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:14 PM
  #16
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Thousand Oaks, Ca
Posts: 202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown42 View Post
Buy a $10 blue plastic kiddie pool and wash it in there.
That is a great idea!!!
DirtyJerz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:39 PM
  #17
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Pasadena, MD
My Boats: It's Not About Being Noticed, It's About Being Remembered
Posts: 3,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPeanut View Post
I tried scrubbing for a while but it seemed endless. Broke out the pressure washer and i say im 68% their. How much chlorine to water in a kiddie pool do you think i should use. Is their a certain type of chlorine i should use also. Thanks for the help
That's what I was going to say. I lay mine out in the driveway and pressure wash it with one of those electric home power washer.
f_inscreenname is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:06 PM
  #18
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: None of your business
My Boats: 37 Outerlimits INCOGNITO
Posts: 637
Default

All I could tell you is don't use that water repellant spray for canvas that they sell in West Marine. Had a brand new cockpit cover made in February, picked up a bottle of that stuff and sprayed the cover down. The next day went to check on the boat and the cover had blotches and runs all over it, the cover is ruined, having a new one made and keeping the old one for a spare.
richanton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:16 AM
  #19
Registered
 
scarabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: TR, NJ
My Boats: 2000 33 Scarab AVS
Posts: 1,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richanton View Post
All I could tell you is don't use that water repellant spray for canvas that they sell in West Marine. Had a brand new cockpit cover made in February, picked up a bottle of that stuff and sprayed the cover down. The next day went to check on the boat and the cover had blotches and runs all over it, the cover is ruined, having a new one made and keeping the old one for a spare.
If you have any silver or carbon fiber vinyl that the cover will be in contact with dont use 303 either. It causes those colors to fade when the wet cover comes in contact with them.

Last edited by scarabman; 04-09-2011 at 06:17 AM. Reason: dont hold shift when typing numbers, duh
scarabman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:51 AM
  #20
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tiline, KY
My Boats: Sold -2001 Checkmate 270 Convincor, 32 Active Thunder
Posts: 388
Default

This is going to sound crazy, but all the advice i get from my area is use Thompsons Water Seal for decks to waterproof the cover. I have yet to try it but the guys ive talked to says it works great.
matthewr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.