Notices

Night Vision

Old 03-03-2011, 03:56 PM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Griff I said HULL speed not planning speed. Watching Nav lights is fine but there is a lot of junk out there that doesn't have nav lights.

Hull speed sucks and I was thinking that NV might offer a safe way to speed up a little. Unfortunately, 30 is pretty much the minimum which is a little fast to be operating at night.

I had radar on my last boat and am trying to figure out a way to put it on my 382 without looking funny. But even with radar high speed isn't safe.

Is Gen I useful?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I had seen the Flir home imaging at work in my cottage a couple of years ago, didn't realize what else they got into with these -- very cool.
Gotta like the one that has both thermal imaging and a video camera, as more people are mounting on board cameras why not include this??

What are the prices on these units? I see the individual pieces can be bought -- might work better on a performance boat if you can blend it in within the existing pieces rather than have a miniture R2D2 on the bow...
Old 03-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

RJR is right about a lot of junk out there!!! Mostly sail boaters that go out there and turn their nav lights out to impress some dumb broad and show her the stars... if you hit one of them they will say everything was working properly and it will be a very bad day for you ! The only way to run out there is to run safely and slow>All though a few times a year I like to get about five to eight miles offshore and run in the moonlight reflecting on the water--- very cool.

Jim
Old 03-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by damdonzi
What is the advantage of "Ultra Low-Lux" vs FLIR?
Ultra low lux is a camera that uses amplified light to see. That means you need some sort of light. Full moon, inland waterways with lighting around etc. If you are out in total darkness offshore or in a middle of a lake on dark light you cannot see. Worthless. Also if the light changes around the camera it has to adjust. This can be annoying. Thermal cameras (Flir) are unaffected by light. Only temp. You can see the same in sunlight as total darkness. The camera can detect temp changes up to 1/40th of a degree. Seeing coconuts, boards, lobster traps etc. Even at idle these items can damage an expensive set of props.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Now I get it. Thanks.