Notices

Chicago air show info

Old 03-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chicago air show info

Looking to see what is the best route to plan for this years

I would love to take the boat there, but heard it was a major headache trying to launch anywhere close, and the wife is not sure about that. She wants to go by land and leave the boat at home

What have others done in the past years?
Boat down the coast?
How difficult is it getting to the show by land?

Let me know

And thank you
Old 03-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Since you are coming from MN...I would suggest launching in Racine, WI or at Northpoint Marina in Waukegan, IL. Both have excellent ramps, good parking, nearby accomodations (esp. Racine) and you've got a nice ride down to the city for the show. It is WAY better to see it by water...by land, you can expect to find yourself in a crowd the likes of which you have never seen. Stay to the outside of the crowd...drop an anchor, and enjoy.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's Winthrop Harbor just north of Waukegan, also. I''ll definately second the vote for going by water. The crowds on land are unbelievable plus traffic after the show...........forget about it.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Registered

I agree, there's no better way to see that show than by water. Crowds on the land side tend to really be ridiculous. I know some of the Chicago harbors will offer transient slips to visitors. I don't know about parking your tow / trailer. I keep my boat in Diversey harbor. The 'no boat' zone starts directly south of the entry to that harbor and goes all the way to Navy Pier. I usually just pull out and drop anchor just to the north. That way, the approaching planes buzz directly over your head. It's pretty sweet. PM me your email address and I'll send ya a link of a vid my buddy did of last year's show from my boat.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Registered

Grew up in Chicago and have only seen the Airshow from the water. Only way to go in my opinion, because I don't like crowds. If you anchor in the right spot you will be underneath show center and will be able to feel the power of afterburners. Trust me, I have experience in this field, ha! Any marina north near Wisconsin will be your best bet to avoid parking and people issues.

Last edited by diverkr; 03-03-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Have done the show many times. First time by land was not good. You end up elbow to elbow and getting out takes forever. Racine is a nice ride unless the lake gets rough, then it is a bit to far for a slow ride. Your 28 cat might ride better in the rough than my 28 ft Baja. Northpoint Marina in Waukegan, IL. is a nice place to start from and not to far if lake gets nasty.

I have rented a slip at Northpoint the night before the show (friday night) got a good nights sleep and headed to Chicago about 8:30 am.

Great way to see the show. Often times can clearly see the color of the jet pilots helmet as they make a turn right overhead.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Northpoint is in Winthrop Harbor. Waukegan is farther South, closer to the city. Northpoint has a far nicer ramp (and more performance boats) You cant go wrong with either or. Keep in mind the lake turns up real fast and its a long ride in the rough. All that being said, by water is by far the best way to see the show. As stated by everyone else, waaaaay to crowded on land, but its doable.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:20 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Northpoint (Winthrop harbor) is the best bet. It's about a 40 mile ride straight south down the shoreline to Chicago. If you're gonna make a weekend out of it, you can go down there on friday too. That's the day that they're doing all their practice runs all afternoon long. Besides, Northpoint has 93 oct fuel. The only harbor in Chicago that has 93, is Diversy, and that's the one that's directly in front of where the air show will be run. It'll be a real PITA to get in and out of that harbor on that weekend. I do it every weekend, and the air show, and the Chicago scene party weekends are the worst.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 03-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

Well since everyone above has the water side covered all i can tell ya about doing the show by land is to book a hotel NOW and show up VERY EARLY as realestate goes FAST along the lake front. And if you do go by land expect not to get home quickly when the mad rush to leave starts!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 10x
Northpoint (Winthrop harbor) is the best bet. It's about a 40 mile ride straight south down the shoreline to Chicago. If you're gonna make a weekend out of it, you can go down there on friday too. That's the day that they're doing all their practice runs all afternoon long. Besides, Northpoint has 93 oct fuel. The only harbor in Chicago that has 93, is Diversy, and that's the one that's directly in front of where the air show will be run. It'll be a real PITA to get in and out of that harbor on that weekend. I do it every weekend, and the air show, and the Chicago scene party weekends are the worst.
what he said

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.