Notices

Guardian Mode Problems

Old 03-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guardian Mode Problems

Do Mercs with Guardian Mode technology experience alarms on a constant basis? Is this feature an everyday issue to deal with or more of a fatal problem alarm? Do you find it a pain or a help?
Old 03-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Why fret and guess when you can know for sure!

Any boat owner with a Mercury engine with the guardian feature will generally find it a great cost saver, a great engine saver and service tool provided one buys either the hand held or laptop scan tool software when one buys the boat. Without a scan tool the feature will most of the time just frustrate and confuse. At about $400 its a quick payback versus running to a dealer each time the engine alarm goes off.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Raylar
Any boat owner with a Mercury engine with the guardian feature will generally find it a great cost saver, a great engine saver and service tool provided one buys either the hand held or laptop scan tool software when one buys the boat. Without a scan tool the feature will most of the time just frustrate and confuse. At about $400 its a quick payback versus running to a dealer each time the engine alarm goes off.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Is this a tool available form Merc? Do I use a laptop? Do I buy software? I am sick of this feature. I rather burn up the motor and replace it rather that know every friggin little issue that comes up. Maybe when the motors are working correctly, it will be great, but for now, I am ready to give up on the whole stupid diagnostic tool. All joking aside, is this something I am going to have to deal with over the life of the engine? Is this on all Merc racing engines?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Registered

Just my personal opinion, but I find all of the alarms and sensors in the pcm 555 stuff to be a PIA. Too many electronics. For example, if you try to "rev up" the engine beyond 1500 rpm in neutral you get an alarm unless you disconnect neutral position sensor. Not saying basic carb engines were utopia, but its tough to go through a whole weekend without some sort of alarm or beeping on the new engines.

Now we have the "progression of beeps" ... one beep, two beeps, four beeps and continuous beeps .... one beep is minor - like hitting the rev limiter, two beeps is a little worse (like low drive oil, I think), 4 beeps is more major (like IAC, or MAP, or TPS not right) and continuous beep is "shut'er down" mode ... You need to carry your Merc HP owners manual with you to decipher the beeps

Last edited by bob_t; 03-06-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts

The race view gives ypu all the information thatvthe scan tool does Not sure of system view that you probably have. Not sure if you can upgrade
Old 03-07-2011, 01:12 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

So what is setting off the alarm????????? Pretty sure the most common are low water psi and high exhaust manifold/header temps.

The 525EFI and newer engines have the alarm system that monitors a lot more.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

NO WAY A PIA,,,its peace of mind for me,,,its a good feeling knowing the boys are ready at any time,,,,just stay with it and get involved,,,lots of knowledge here for the asking,,,get a rinda scan tool or software,,then have some fun solving the problem,,,dont think of it as a pia,,,the pay off for you will come knowing You repaired it
Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Elimi Nordic!

Sorry to hear about all the problems you are having with the Guardian Mode. Its things like this that turn people off from boating. I hope that you can find someone who can help you out, so that you can enjoy running that sharp new boat that you have bought without wondering if you have a problem or hearing the constant beeping. If theres a problem, great to know but if not what a pain. Good Luck.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
+1, I didn't have many problems with my 496HO. I bought Diacom SW and when problems did arise I was able to diagnose easily.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan are you still testing props ???? very well could be water pressure , prop testing & blades,rakes, pichs, diameters will open a whole new can of worms ... surely not as easy as changing a tire on a car

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.