Like Tree0Likes

Charging Batteries?

Old 03-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Registered

Default Charging Batteries?

Im curious to know how the majority of u guys are charging ur boat batteries. In the storage yard where I keep mine, there is no electricty, so I cant just hook up the battery tenders. Do you guys take the batteries out and charge them at the house every trip? I was in the process of doing that, but it seems like such a hassle to undo all 3 batteries, undo the hatch pin (electric hatch), then use a paddle to prop up the hatch while I undo and lift the batteries out, while not forgetting to put the outdrive down then put the covers on................then repeat that process in reverse everytime I want to take the boat out! And this is after I wash the boat and clean the interior.

I guess its really not THAT bad, but there has to be a easier way. I follow the philosophy "Work smarter not harder!" Does anyone use the solar battery tenders? Do they work just as well as the electric?

Thanks in advace!
Old 03-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Registered
VIP Member

My Boats: 02 Advantage 30 Victory

I have a dual bank battery charger, Battery Tender brand. Bought off ebay for $80 or so. All you do is plug it in and leave. Works great on the bass boat to keep the trolling battery charged.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Registered

My Boats: CIGARETTE TOP GUN

i watched an episode of ship shape and they mentioned normal trickle charge batteries are not adequate to recharge batteries. a marine battery charger is required. any truth to this?
Old 03-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Registered

My Boats: Old 24 ciggie, 382 fastech, and a big Ole beaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses0324 View Post
i watched an episode of ship shape and they mentioned normal trickle charge batteries are not adequate to recharge batteries. a marine battery charger is required. any truth to this?
I wouldn't try to re-charge a low battery with a trickle charger, they usually only have enough power to keep the batterys charged.

I just plug in my shore power whenever the boat is in the shop, and let the onboard battery charger do the work. It would be fairly simple to add one to your boat, but having no power where you stor it would be tough.

Guess you could get into the habbit of a nice long cruise at the end of the weekend to charge them up
Old 03-12-2011, 02:16 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....

Just disconnect the battery wires in the Fall when it goes into storage and reconnect them in the Spring. They should still be about 80% full of charge.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:53 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1988 Wellcraft Nova Spyder 26. 454 MAG with 365 HP and a Bravo 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Just disconnect the battery wires in the Fall when it goes into storage and reconnect them in the Spring. They should still be about 80% full of charge.
Thats what I do...I hook them up to the charger once I bring the boat home from storage (spring cleaning) and make sure they are at 100% before my first trip out. After that I dont worry about it all summer.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:33 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Ok, thats good to know! I wasn't sure how much the batteries get depleted and how much the altenator charges them up while out on the water.

Thanks to everyone!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....

I would still put them on a charger to get them up to 100% in the Spring.