National Performance Boat Museum introduction >

National Performance Boat Museum introduction

Notices

National Performance Boat Museum introduction

Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look the reason people boat on the lakes is because they live in that area, not because its the best boating. Not saying there arent some cool spots, but it the reason all the guys with "offshore" hardware tow their boats thousands of miles to South Florida. Remember, the place where it all started. Oceans, bays, the best weather etc etc etc.

+1, who is WE?
Old 03-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Charter Member #928
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DollaBill
Look the reason people boat on the lakes is because they live in that area, not because its the best boating. Not saying there arent some cool spots, but it the reason all the guys with "offshore" hardware tow their boats thousands of miles to South Florida. Remember, the place where it all started. Oceans, bays, the best weather etc etc etc.

+1, who is WE?
+1
Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by DollaBill

+1, who is WE?
+2, Seriously, where would you rather boat, LOTO, or the Key's?
Just saying....
Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Registered

"We" are Brian and Barb Newlun, I have been on the boards for a number of years under bajaholic. The Museum is a seperate entity and it was suggested by moderators of another site to keep the 2 seperate.(That way my personal Bajaholic can be more personal interaction and the Museums name will be spacifically museum business. There is numerous other people behind the scenes helping to set up the legal side, and make suggestions of how to run the museum. (ie Lawyers, tax accountants, business consultants,Architects,city administrators and web site administrators just to start with.) But for today, yes it is "Us" as the planners,financers,promoters and head bottle washers.

This has been a idea I (Brian Newlun) have had for a number of years, and due to the economy it was not started a couple of years ago as originally planned. Add to that the Start up capitol for this adventure has been crazy... But after a while, one has to look forward and see why we belive in what we do... Thus, following the passion.

Being that we ventured down the non-profit side of business, it has put in numerous checks and balances. From what I have seen thus far it is without a doubt the most regulated side of business you will ever find.

The corporation and IRS filings for dealing with the non-profit have all been filed and are now in place to move forward.

Which brings us to the facility. We are in negotiations on our property for the "Interm" museum. We hope to have this finalized in the next week or so. The building we are looking at is approxomity 5000 sq ft, and will NOT sustain the vision we have for long term. That is why it is interm. BUt you need towalk before you can run and this facility should give us enough room to showcase our ideas of the longterm facility and allow us to raise the funds needed to build the permanent facility.

We have not asked anyone to send anything yet. This is because we are confirming the site and finalizing all the inner structure prior to recieving anything. So far it has been ONLY our monies that have moved this forward, which at some point once sustainable I would expect to be reinbursed. ALL funds, displays etc will be used for the museum. But at this point we are a long way from that point.

I know there is a rich history of some taking advantage of others in the boating industry, unfortunately that too is part of our history. That being said, Being a non profit, setting up a very visual place for the community, having backing from the community as well and the people that are passionate about the sport we live in our start up is a solid as any business could expect.

Again... Being a non-profit, the rules and regulations about incorporating, running and god forbid ever shutting down are extremely rigid, I recommend anyone who ever is interested in the workings to look it up and they will get a better understanding of why,how and where.

The original announcement yesterday was to announce our vision, what we forsee as the future and where we can take our place in preserving Performance boat history and move it into the future. Our business model is the National Corvette Museum, this is a facility that is the Gold Star in the industry, I recommend you look at that facility, the workings and what it has done for the Corvette world and Bowling Green community. This too will give you a visual of what we are trying to accomplish.

We will be as tranparent as possible to the outside world, additionally we have been documenting our entire process in video and have been approched as a business television show showing all the trials and tribulations of doing such a venture.

I hope this gives you answer to your question(s)

Last edited by NPBMLOTO; 03-21-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Registered

Brian,

I hope this becomes a reality as i would love to see a place with a bunch of boating history put into one. I sent an email to the email you have listed on your website. I own an advertising company and would love to donate some of our resources to help you out.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
+2, Seriously, where would you rather boat, LOTO, or the Key's?
Just saying....

Ummmmm....in the Keys
I admire the vision, but it's akin to having the snowmobile racing museum in Honolulu.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

I have to question where your customer base will come from in winter months ? Do a poll here on OSO asking if members would come to LOTO to view a boat museum from November to March versus taking their usual warm climate vacation.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Interceptor
I have to question where your customer base will come from in winter months ? Do a poll here on OSO asking if members would come to LOTO to view a boat museum from November to March versus taking their usual warm climate vacation.
Not to mention, it would be safe to say a museum in Miami area would get more traffic during the Miami and Lauderdale boat show than LOTO would get all year. Location, location, location is everything. Boating of any kind doesn't draw crowds like NFL, NBA, NLBA or most other sports Halls of Fame. To survive, it will need to be tied in with other boating venues and events and there are no other more successful than events in Miami. Trust me when I say, the NFL would LOVE to and discussed often, moving the HOF out of Canton, Ohio to a place like NYC. I bet one day it actually happens.

On a personal note, I would go to LOTO from New Jersey to see the museum once. But I go to Miami just see the boat show almost every two years. Why, because of the weather, the night life (year round)
and the amount of destinations in the area to party and go boating.
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.
Good Luck, I hope it is a success.

Last edited by In The Pink; 03-21-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-21-2011, 01:31 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by In The Pink
Not to mention, it would be safe to say a museum in Miami area would get more traffic during the Miami and Lauderdale boat show than LOTO would get all year. Location, location, location is everything. Boating of any kind doesn't draw crowds like NFL, NBA, NLBA or most other sports. To survive, it will need to be tied in with other boating venues and events and there are no other more successful than events in Miami. Trust me when I say, the NFL would LOVE to and discussed often, moving the HOF out of Canton, Ohio to a place like NYC. I bet one day it actually happens.

On a personal note, I would go to LOTO from New Jersey to see the museum once. But I go to Miami just see the boat show almost every two years. Why, because of the weather, the night life (year round)
and the amount of destinations in the area to party and go boating.
LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.
Good Luck, I hope it is a success.
Exactly, LOTS of members would visit at least once and maybe 2x a year if it were located where they are going anyway. I may make a trip one time to LOTO to see the museum (and it would have to be something on par with the IGFA museum in Ft Laud) to get me to go.

I think it's a great idea but I fear keeping it busy will be impossible in the middle of the country.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Registered

Again let me state: We appreciate your insight to Florida being the center of the universe for boating. I get it. However, I think the California guys think their boating is as great as Florida and us in the midwest feel we have great boating too... Just saying.

The museum is Performance boats, which includes many facits of boating, Drag boats, Hydros, OffShore, Old woody's etc... We are not just offshore boats. There is also different levels of peoples involvement, not everyone from west of Florida wants to come to Florida to go boating, it is just too much of a commitment. Thus being centrally located again.... Pulls MANY more people than just the ones in Florida or visiting Florida once or twice a year.

There is also the business and community side of running a museum. The state, county and local municipality needs to support the endeaver. There is monies and approvals involved in any venture and when it comes to getting things done, being local to an area that is vacation driven and primarily a boating destination, people understand what you are doing.

The weather, no disagreemet there, but if you look into most museums in the country, they are seasonal to some degree. They all have off months and duing that time is generally reset of their displays time. Additionally for us, the winter months are when we will spend most of tour time traveling to trade (boat) shows to promote the museum.

From what we have learned and plan on doing is MUCH more than just displays, by attending different events throughout the country, promoting dinners, talks, etc along with local events throughout the year, we hope to educate, entertain and teach people about our sport.

It comes down to who has the idea, willing to make the commitment to follow through with the idea and move it forward. I have that and am doing so... All I ask is for your support on seeing it happen, if you don't feel comfortable and want to say I told you so, I can live with that, but I for one, have never been a person to back away from something I believe in. I have put my money where my mouth is and want to see this succeed more than anyone.

Good luck to us all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.