Notices

Fountain brakeing prop shafts

Old 03-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Driveguy
What the f is a two piece shaft?
My understanding is that the Merc shaft is created in two separate pieces and some how welded at the bottom of of the splined area. Might be complete BS but I have not broken an IMCO.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 Buddy of ours had this problem w his 38.

Originally Posted by Kelly O
Seems like the issue is the drive heights. Fountain gets great speed out of those 525 boats by running drives so high props end up surfacing. I don't think the Maximus is designed to be a surfacing prop.
The only way that 38 could swing a 35P is with high slip numbers due to the high drive height. That is what stresses the props.
Has anyone tried spacing down to lower slip then run a lower pitch prop ? May cost a couple mph top speed but the boat would plane and handle better and quit throwing blades.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly O
Seems like the issue is the drive heights. Fountain gets great speed out of those 525 boats by running drives so high props end up surfacing. I don't think the Maximus is designed to be a surfacing prop.
The only way that 38 could swing a 35P is with high slip numbers due to the high drive height. That is what stresses the props.
Has anyone tried spacing down to lower slip then run a lower pitch prop ? May cost a couple mph top speed but the boat would plane and handle better and quit throwing blades.
That is what I was thinking....